Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grades posted...I didnt do well... NGC is grading pretty tough right now IMO

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
All right,
Here is the total return for the entire shipment.

The GOOD:

Cracked out the 1811 PCGS VF35 5$, I thought it should 40..........Came back an NGC XF45 image
Gorgeous 1937 Dom. Rep Medio peso. I graded it a shot 64...................Came back an NGC 65 image
gorgeous 1943 Canadian Dime I graded it a shot 64.....................Came back an NGC 64 image
1908 Half Eagle, original nice, I graded it a Fine......................Came back an NGC VF35 image but embarassed as I STILL can,t grade those image
1932 Eagle, amazing luster, thought it had a shot at 64.........Came back an NGC 64 image

The BAD:

1911 Proof Half Eagle... I graded it 58/62 but had my doubts as to its authenticity..............Came back a counterfeit image
1853 Assay 20$...Looked possibly counterfeit and whizzed................Came back improperly cleaned but I thought that it would
1796 LIHERTY Large cent, I graded it VF20 (not an EAC grade).... Came back corrosion but I expected as much probably an EAC F12
1925 Peace dollar, I graded it a lock 65 with a shot 66.............Came back a 64!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

The UGLY:
Bechtler 5$, I knew the coin was cleaned but thought that they would grade it anyway.........Came back improperly repaired!!
Cracked out a PCGS AU55 1881 quarter eagle, thinking it was an AU58...........Came back ALTERED SURFACES!!!! I have to admit, that one hurt.......Bad....................................................

The assay and bechtler were dissapointing because they were a clients and I was hoping to buy them... I have no idea what to offer now, and I know that he will be dissappointed...

Needless to say, IMO opinion, NGC changed their holder and changed their standards. I think that they are trying to get away from the market idea that their coins were graded a bit softer than PCGS...
They did a good job convincing me.....They were crazy!!

Let the "I told you so's" commence!!!

John

Comments

• << <i>Cracked out a PCGS AU55 1881 quarter eagle, thinking it was an AU58...........Came back ALTERED SURFACES!!!! I have to admit, that one hurt.......Bad.................................................... >>

Send it back to PCGS. Maybe they will remain consistent. image

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    John,

No I told you so's for me, but I agree that they've been reasonably strict for some time now, and I think that surprises the collectors that don't regularly submit to them.

Don
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I told you so here either. NGC has been wildly inconsistent for at least the past 2 years on type coins and gold. This is my own experience. I'm submitting far few coins than in the past because I cannot wait 3 or 4 times for them to get the grade right. In the 1988-1990 market I was usually right 80% of the time with them. Today it's closer to 50-60%. I know I haven't gotten that much more stupid in the areas I specialize in. The answer to me is clear.
    Buy nice coins in holders whenever possible and leave the resubmits to the "experts" who can afford to try 3 or more times. I don't have the patience.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than the 81 QE and the Peace dollar, it appears that you got mostly what you expected. It is a shame that the Assay piece and Bechtler did not slab. It certainly diminished their value being raw. Was the counterfeit HE from "The Source"?

My experience is weanie compared to yours. I do not like to play the grading game. It is frustrating. Rather buy nice, original coins (when I can) which are reasonably graded and do not fret about possible upgrades or, gulp, downgrades.

Robert

Edited to say: After I submitted my post, I noticed that roadrunner said it better. image
  • uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Practice makes perfect! Keep swingin' that bat John!

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practice makes better, but at what cost? Only the very very best graders make real $$ at resubmits. 99.99% of us can expect mixed results. For every 3 or 4 nice upgrades or profit coins, there is usually a stinker where you get buried and have to sell raw or something. It wipes out the other gains plus you have money tied up in a non-producing asset for too long. Getting to the next level is extremely difficult and part of it is just being blessed with an "eye" and "feel." Not everyone gets it....actually most don't. The real money is made by buying the "right"coins at the right time, and unloading them at the "right" time. That's the real game and it too is difficult. And it takes far less out of your psyche too.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert,

The Half Eagle was not from the source....image
    All in all, it wasnt bad since I hit a homer on the 1811...

BTW, I dont know about this weanie nonsense....image

Doug and everyone, thanks for the encouragement...

RR,
    I see what you are saying. If the 1881 doesnt get back into a holder, I'm screwed... It does make you feel alive though!!

John
    Anybody know where I can get pricing on some gem world stuff like that 65 Dominican?

John
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with NGC being tougher on grades of late, and I hope they continue to do so.
    I'm sorry to see that you got slammed on few of these coins but you scored on that 1811 alright.
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind, the glue that kept PCGS together until a year ago is keeping NGC together right now. NGC is showing they are turning it around.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    What does "improperly repaired" mean? I can understand "improperly cleaned" since they conserve coinsimage------------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • I think ANACS is getting a little tougher too...at least with Morgans. I sent in an 04-P that I thought had at least a shot at 62...got a 61. Bought an 87-S off Heritage graded a 62 that, to my newb eye, looks at least as good as most of my "big 2" 63s.
    I'm kinda glad to see this...I'd like to see ANACS pick up some more respect. I ear they're particularly tough on copper, but no firsthand experience.
    I meant just repaired...image

Got a bit carried away with the "improperly"...
  • after the jade coin incident, I sent all of my half cent collection to ngc for crossover.
    unfortunately, ngc rejected most of my pcgs rb's, calling them brown.

• Show me the pictures with the slabs and I'll give you the Kings grades. The KINGS grades will be correct.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    From my experience NGC has been going pretty easy on my submissions. mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file