Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Number 1 Silver Roosie Set

onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 20, 2018 4:23PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum
I Have sold my Complete PCGS Silver 1946 - 1964 Roosevelt Dime Set to a private collector.
I have had a blast building this set over the years and look forward to moving on to another series.
I will also be assisting the new owner with my services in their continuing efforts in building a
world class set. I want to thank wondercoin who assisted in the sell of my set with a smooth and
painless transaction.

Most of all I have to thank Craig Harries (colorfulcoins) for all his dedication in helping me build this
wonderful color set. This set would not exist today if it wasn't for Craig. Thank You My Friend

Formerly
Onlyroosies
Nick Cascio's Best Roosevelt's

Comments

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic, Nick. True congratulations to you upon your achievement! image
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    You da Man !!!!!!

So............what's next? You're still the clad champion of the world ! image
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick: Congratulations again on the sale of your incredible Silver Roosie collection!! The set was a remarkable accomplishment by both you and Craig - I have little doubt some of the coins in your collection will remain "the best of the best" for years to come. Of course, it took strong money to "pry this set out of your hands" and this is also a great day for the Silver Roosie series and Roosie market in general. The purchaser of this collection is a TRUE and dedicated collector, like you, and will love and cherish your dimes for many years to come. The set will not be broken up, but rather built upon and upgraded and I have little doubt this set will become the standard for what a near perfect set of colorful Roosies should look like. Again, congratulations for building such an incredible PCGS collection which spanned roughly 15 years of your life, if I recall what you had mentioned to me.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Nick,
    I'm sorry about all those heartless comments I made about how your (former) roosies lacked eye appeal...I didn't mean it -- I really liked two of them!!!imageimageimageimage

What's next???? Washingtons???? How about a DCAM set of silver proof roosies??
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Nick! I'm sure it was a tough thing to do.

Doug
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick, I'm speechless!

Later,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Nick Congrads on your sale the Roosey collecting community has lost a true friend. I wish you success in all you do, and thanks for the help you have given me..imageimage
  • Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    So is RegistryCoin the buyer? If so, I knew he would not take long to pursue another high-end set.

• Wow! And I thought you truly loved Roosies!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Congratulations!

I guess we will see a name change. Perhaps StandingLibertyQuartersOnly? Naw, too long. How about JeffersonsOnly? That could work length wise image
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. The best part of building this set was meeting and
    talking to all the other Roosie collectors. My biggest accomplishment was not the set itself,
    but the promoting of the Roosevelt series. This little dime has come a long way in the last
    couple years and IMHO is a respected collectible series. I will continue to be very active
    with the Roosevelt series. I still love these little dimes and will always be onlyroosies at
    heart.

Nick
  • congrats
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Congratulations. Selling is sometimes as rewarding as building a set. Washington's next? Yikes, does that mean I'm going to be knocked off the front page for top 5 all time finest??? cheers, alan mendelson
    Can Nick or Wondercoin at least answer this question: Is the person/client of Wondercoin's that bought Whitefangs (DMWJR) clad set of Roosies, the same person/client that bought Nicks silver Roosies?

And if so, are they going to re-register both of those sets anytime soon?

Later,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
    Paul, I don't know the collector that bought the set. Wondercoin brokered the set and did
    a terrific job handling both ends of the deal. Mitch was quite confident that he could put a
    deal together and dished out quite a bit of his own money (traveling expenses) and time
    to make this deal work.

To my knowledge this is the third time a number 1 Roosevelt set has been sold and all three
    times the set was sold as a complete set to a private party and not broken up or put up for auction.
    Roosevelt's are alive and well..

Nick
  • Nick- Congratulations on the sale of your set. You had quite a few monsters in there. I hope the new owner knows how lucky he is to get this collection that you have spent so many years building. Good luck in your next collecting endeavor.
    David Schweitz

Mitch did a very professional and excellent job selling my set as well.

I still look every now and then to see if my set has reappeared. I'm sure it will be full of upgrades by the time it does.
    Doug
    Doug & Nick: Thanks for the "thumbs up".

Paul: Down the road, I'll find out if the buyer(s) of the White Fang and onlyRoosies collections want the coins entered in the PCGS Registry. Until then, I can not comment.

But, I do want to tell the forum a story about Nick. Before dropping off the silver Roosie collection with me last month, Nick handed me the 1954(s) Roosie (pop 1/0) and told me to take the coin to David Hall and present it to him to determine if the coin truly had proper Full Bands. Now, this is a coin Nick had sold "sight unseen" for no less than $1600 and probably closer to $2,000 elsewhere. Nick also told me that if something were to happen to this coin (i.e. DH downgraded it to non-FB that my buyer could deduct $1,600 from the agreed upon purchase price. NICK ALSO GAVE MY BUYER A 54(s) IN PCGS-MS66FB FOR FREE TO FILL THE SLOT WHILE THIS ALL WAS REVIEWED!!

Today, DH determined the coin was NOT an FB coin and desires to remove it from the pop report. DH will refund Nick's original purchase price (slightly over $600). Nick will lose no less than $1,000 on this deal BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO SELL MY BUYER A COIN THAT WAS CLEARLY NOT PCGS-MS67FB QUALITY IN HIS OPINION. OF COURSE, I ALSO KNEW THE COIN WAS NOT AN MS67FB COIN - BUT, OTHER SELLERS WOULD HAVE SIMPLY SAID THAT THE SET HAS LOW END AND HIGH END COINS AND MY BUYER WAS BUYING A COMPLETE COLLECTION, INCLUDING THE "GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY". NOT NICK CASCIO. TALK ABOUT CLASS - THAT'S NICK CASCIO!

WONDERCOIN

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I agree Nick is CLASS, CLASS, CLASS, When building my set I needed 3 coins to complete my set. I posted a message on the boards for help with the 3 coins I needed and he responded with a 1970-p for 2 dollars the cost of shipping. I was floored by his generosity and will always remember that. He taught me to remember collecting goes beyond the best set, but to be the best person you can, and work that set!!!!! Thanks Nick
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Nick: I've admired your coins and contributions to the boards ...congrats on a masterful set and finding it a good home.
    Definitely a class act (and a tough one to follow). image
    Craig
  • Bill K. will have to find someone else to razz now!

OK Nick, now tell the truth! Your wife made you sell the set under threat of divorce!? Right??

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    Ouch.....sounds like something MY wife would say to me! image
    Craig
    I guess I wasn't left speechless after all.

Nick, I have a couple more questions for you: 1) Was your set pedigreed and do you have any dupes that are pedigreed for sale? 2) Now that your set is sold, are you still eligible for H.O.F. status if PCGS were to see that your collection is worthy? Personally I think it is as do a great many others, but was wondering if you knew or not.

Later,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
    Bushmaster,
    I would NEVER RAZZ Nick...I've always admitted I liked two of his roosies (I won't say which two)......imageimageimage

Besides, he bought me dinner at the FUN Show!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    onlyroosies, wondercoin, colorfulcoins and registrycoins in one sentence.

I am impressed!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    Mitch, Thanks for bringing the story of the 54S to the boards. I actually bought this coin for another
    Collector that has a Roosevelt registry set and only collects blast white MS67FB Roosies. Even though
    I didn't have an MS67FB in that slot at the time The coin was perfect for his set and I was thrilled to
    e-mail him telling him of the 54S he was going to get. When I received the coin I could clearly see that
    PCGS had mad a mistake on this one. I informed him that I could not sell him an inferior coin. I put the
    coin in my set until a time that a replacement could be found at which time I would send it back to
    PCGS under mechanical error. I never intented to ever resell that coin.

Bushmaster, Bill and I are actually very good friends and all of our "razzing" back and forth is all in
    good fun. Bill has a wonderful collection that he is very proud of. I have seen his complete Roosie
    set and it is the most beautiful matched color set I have ever seen. So with that I can cut him some
    slack.... image

Paul, My set was not pedigreed. I intended to pedigree my set when I felt it was the best it could be.
    I felt there was still a lot of work to do on the set to get it to my standard for pedigree. The sell of
    my set was not planned it just happened. As far as H.O.F. status, I don't know the rules there but
    I do appreciate your gracious comments about my Roosie set. Thanks Paul..

Thanks again for all the great comments and support I've been receiving in e-mails and PM's.

Nick

• << <i>

Bushmaster, Bill and I are actually very good friends and all of our "razzing" back and forth is all in
    good fun. Bill has a wonderful collection that he is very proud of. >>

Of course I realize that!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Thank you, Nick! I had already built a lovely Roosie collection myself, with many, many beautifully toned coins. But when I saw yours, I knew it was better. You did a great job putting it together, and I'm proud to own it.

The combined set will be a dazzler if I ever get it organized. If I do, you and Mitch will be the first people to see it. I'll give the two of you an invite sometime when I'm in town and you can hop a plane and visit with old friends and their new companions.

I appreciate the integrity that you brought to the table. The Numismatic industry isn't exactly the cleanest industry I've ever seen, but you've been a ray of light.

By the way, my apologies to one and all for my long absence from these interesting boards; but I had to attend to business first. And by the time I had taken care of that, I couldn't remember how to get back on the boards. I couldn't even remember my danged user name. But I just cracked the code and it's nice to be back.

Next stop, finishing up my liberty nickels. Speaking of which, I just got word from Jon at RCNH (Rare Coins of New Hampshire) that his boss, "the eye" Warren Mills, just upgraded my 1897 Liberty Nickel from NGC Proof 69 to Proof 69 cameo. It deserved it. About as obvious an upgrade as you can imagine -- and a lovely coin to look at.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun!
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock

JHF: Are you planning on getting into the Proof Roosevelts???
    Doug
    One great riddle answered......what good hands Nick's "old" set is in. I for one would LOVE to see JHF set and hope to do so one day (and see some old friends too.....as I count, about 1/4 of the coins in Nick's set got there one way or another thru my hands + a very nicely toned 1950-D PCGS MS68 several years ago) - - be nice to see my old friends (and I miss some of the blue ones especially).

Congrats JHF!
    Craig
    JHF, I had a hunch it might have been you who bought my set. It wasn't my place to
    push the issue and besides Mitch guaranteed me they were in good hands with a
    collector who really appreciated the collection, and that was good enough for me.

I have each and every dime photoed on my computer and shows as a slide show
    for my screen saver. This is the first thing I see each morning when I get in to my
    office.

I have seen some of the dimes from the other set you own and the combined set
    that you will create will be stunning. It would be my honor to be able to come out
    and view the final set when its all put together. Definitely destined for the Hall of
    Fame.

Congrats JHF on owning what will be a world class set second to none.

Onlyroosies
    Nick Cascio
    Without any doubt, this combined, I expect, absolutely perfect set has got to be one of the most beautiful numismatic collector sets of any series.... definately worth HOF recognition!
    So, can we still count on the Great Rosy challenge at Long Beach in June..........I'd still like to see this set on display and the "comers" set(s) also - like rainbowroosies at least (I've still got some mooses to, right Mitch?). :-)
    Craig
    Craig: Unlikely there will be any Roosie challenge as early as May without Nick in the picture. Unless, of course, RainbowRoosies registers his group of coins image

And, yes, you do have a lovely collection of Roosies as well Craig. Since you never did sell me one for my collection, I may have to try to sell you one to "break the ice". image

Wondercoin
  • Thanks guys. Business (not numismatics) hasn't been good for most of last year, and I really, really didn't want to stretch for the set.

But when Mitch flew in I saw how beautiful many of those coins were, and how my own original colored set would augment it ... "I'm just a guy who can't say no." With apologies to "South Pacific" -- which may date me.

Dear Mr. Colorful Coins:

Will there be a great Roosie Challenge in June?

Craig, I'm only going to be in the states -- where the coins are -- for about 2 weeks before the June Challenge date; mostly to see to the home office of my business. I'll probably spend a day or so at the bank, gloating and merging the two collections. If Nick and Mitch want to fly in then to see the combined collection -- and perhaps take to the June show down -- that's fine with me. Mitch would probably have to store it in his own safety deposit box until I returned to the states again.

Dear Mr. White Fang:

Will I start collecting Roosie proofs? Doug, now that's an interesting idea that I never really thought about. Like the rest of the modern coins, they're awfully nice in deep cameo and I've been using date sets of them in 69 Ultra Cameo (NGC) as birthday presents for the kiddy poos of my friends and associates. But I never thought about serious collecting them until now.

The Roosies in proof could make an interesting series. Let me think about it for a while and I'll get back to you.

But for now, I want to put my Lib nickels in shape and there I do collect the proofs as well as the business strikes. That project will be my first priority. And it will take a while.

One of the problems that I have in any new undertaking is that when I'm out of the country, I don't get to view coins often. So my ability to judge coins wanes.

For instance, I have a lovely USPI set of coins out here (US Philippines, see the back of the Red Book). But when I was studying the coins recently (I've discovered many, many new varieties in this series), I'd see this coin graded MS 64 and staring at it for 5 minutes couldn't figure out why it wasn't graded 66. And another coin, in MS64 looked AU58 to me. I know the two services can be sloppy, but that sloppy? I don't think so. I think my eye is rusty.

Warm regards

Just Having Fun!

!!!!! Well, looks as if the monkey has been tossed into Mitch's capable lap......hmmm......JHF Rosy set in June in Long Beach???? No question as to how Iwould vote.......DO IT! JHF, that's a tremendous offer and I am very hopeful that between Mitch and yourself that it could be made to happen. I've heard so much about this set (now sets) that I have no doubt it would blow my mind (what little I have left).

Mitch, I haven't forgotten.......the only thing that has changed is that I now have 4 MS67FB coins in the date we discussed and if the grading gods so will, I may have 2 more to add to that (more for you to choose from !)......I'm still hopeful we can sync up - perhaps at Long Beach in 2 weeks. PS: After looking at the reserves on the NGC PL dimes in the Heritage auction, I have new respect for your PL and DMPL rosy dimes!!!!!!
    Craig
    Justhavingfun,
    Try roosie proofs with vivid rainbow color -- not dearly expensive, but tough as hell to find!!image
  • RainbowRoosie: That does sound like fun. Maybe I'll give it a whirl -- just for the fun of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun
  • All this talk of Roosies...has me wanting to complete my very modest set (3rd series I have started). I have a complete set of RED Lincolns 1909-1958 and this is my first passion (Kyle Patrick Collection). I started a set of Wash quarters 2 years ago...and only have the 32-D and 32-S left to go (also Kyle Patrick). And almost by accident I started a set of Roosies in MS66. Then they came out with the FB designation....and I felt like I started too soon.......because non of the coins I had purchased had the FB designation. Anyway....I know this is probably not the place...but since there are so many Roosie collectors reading this.....I would like to ask any and all of you for help in finishing my collection. My set is blast "white" at this point...so I would like to finish it that way. I need only 5 more coins to complete it (then I will start working on upgrades over time). Does anybody have the following dates in MS66 or MS67 (FB or not) available for sale? Blast white only please and PM me with prices and dates. Thanks for your help.

1947-D
    1948-D

Marc
    Marc

... it is a great story…

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the first time I have read this. I did not know that Nick sold his set to JHF and then started over.