Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Completed British 1d typeset 1797 to 1970

I am still working on completing the entire copper and bronze British typeset for the same period, but recently finished an all certified 1d set that is a very nice milestone in the journey. I don't think that spinaker or rhound have ever seen all of these coins at one time, and I've only laid them all out to really enjoy them as a 1d set a few times. Here are my 1ds by major type, in chronological order with grades and such. It has been a fun experience with help along the way from some of my forum buds.

1797 Cartwheel 1d ANACS MS62BRN (should be RB, outstanding rims/edges)
1806 1d ANACS MS64BRN
1826 1d PCGS MS64BRN (should be RB)
1831 1d ANACS AU55 (not sure if I will upgrade next year)
1853 1d ANACS MS63BRN
1863 1d PCGS MS63RB
1889 1d ANACS MS64RB
1901 1d ANACS MS64RD
1902 1d ANACS MS64BRN
1914 1d ICG MS64RB
1927 1d NGC MS64RB
1936 1d ANACS MS65RB
1937 1d ANACS MS65RB
1948 1d NGC MS65RD
1949 1d NGC MS65RD
1964 1d ANACS MS66RD

I also have a raw 1797 Cartwheel two pence that is uncirculated. It doesn't really fit this set but fits my copper set as a whole.

The 1831 Wm III 1d is a very expensive jump to full uncirculated, if one falls into my hands at the 2004 FUN show, I don't think I'll be able to resist the upgrade.

Joe

Comments

• I think this calls for a photo album. Don't use MSN's I just got an email that all my pics will be deleted by July next year. image Now I'll have to create a new one.

edited to add: Congrats Joe!! Can't wait to see the whole thing soon!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    That is a wonderful accomplishment, Joe and one I know you've worked at very diligently -- Congratulations!!! imageimageimageimage
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Thank you, Askari.image I really fell for the older copper 1ds the first time I felt the heft and saw a Vic young head.

Terry, I hope to put the full run of all denoms up on the web at some point. Maybe next year, or the next.image
    Joe
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Joe! image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Superb set Joe; any highlights? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • That's the way to collect isn't it. Imagine going through the halfpennies and farthings....

What a collection...

L
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ever want to do the same thing on the other end of the spectrum, I have an 1806 penny in Fair. image

Well, I think it's 1806, but it could be 1807, I suppose- the date's gone! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    You can always count on meLord for a sense of humor!!image

Snake Killer, that's a momentous achievement!!! Congratulations. It seems like such an awesome collection, and of course I'd love to see it one day. I didn't know you were such a sl*bophile though...image But I understand.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Congrats Joe!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see the pictures! Nice list.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • I would also love to see the pics......... image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set Joe. Do you know the pedigree of any of those coins? image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done Mongoose... if the William IV is attractive, I would be happy with it and continue the collection back to Charles II... EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS AND HAVE FUNimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Congrates! Nice collection.

Mark
    Thanks for the kind comments.

I do have webspace, one domain in my name, but have not uploaded a single photo. I plan on displaying the full pre-decimal copper/bronze typeset (Geo III to Eliz II) of Fractional Farthings through the Cartwheel twopence. I just need to add 5 more coins to complete the entire set of major types. I didn't include border varieties in my collection. After watching ajaan chase them, I decided to stick to a simpler set.

Dimitri, if I could only keep 3 coins, I think they would be the 1797 Cartwheel 1d, the 1826 1d, and the 1831 1d. Though the 1831 is not as struck, it was one of my first older Brit coppers, and I'm still partial to it.

Lloyd, give me another year, and I hope to have the 1/4ds and 1/2ds covered. Basic types only, no varieties. Lots and lots of coins (70+) just to cover the basics.image Lloyd, you could assist by finding me an UNC 1844 third farthing, the redder the better!

Rob, bring that 1806/07 to FL in Jan, I'll take it off your hands and make a young Brit copper enthusiast out of someone. I'll even trade you lightside stuff for it.image

Jester, yeah, slabs are horrible creatures, but there is nothing better to protect coins that travel. As you can see from the list, I have coins in holders 4 different companies. I'm not blindly loyal to TPGs, and each coin can cut the mustard out of its holder. I recently had an experience showing coins to a novice that confirms my belief in keeping these protected. I'll let anyone handle these with confidence.

Don, I can tie 6 of these coins as ajaan pedigree that either came directly from you or through you at one point in time. image Including my lower denoms, I probably still have at least 15 coppers from your former collection. Thanks for moving out of Brit copper Bud!

coinkat, I am partial to my Wm IIII, and even if I upgraded, I would hold the current coin. It was one of my early buys, purchased raw for $50. I just fancy the idea of having a set that is comprised of coins with no wear. I do have basic copper 1/2ds back to Chas II (no James II or Anne), but not in the state of preservation that these coins are.

And Thanks to those offering congrats.
    Joe
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    PhotoIsland is a good FREE place for storing photos, plus they have a link that automagically creates URLs to link to auctions and such.

Nice collection, btw, can't wait to see the pics too.
    imageimage

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    You need to post some photos Joe Coppernose!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    One more great post Joe (three in a row image ) !I can't think of a better way to enjoy these Brit coppers than the one you've chosen ; it seems to me that you've had a lot of fun putting this set together and , combined with your experience and taste for nice coins ,it is reflected in the set and your posts.As for some early buys that you've mentioned, I feel the exact same way with some of my own "babies"; I treasure them and wouldn't want to let them go, even if an upgrade looks inevitable . Again thanks for sharing and I'll be waiting for some highlights here and there, even before you set up the website image.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rob, bring that 1806/07 to FL in Jan, I'll take it off your hands and make a young Brit copper enthusiast out of someone. I'll even trade you lightside stuff for it. >>

You really want it? It's was one of today's additions on my $1.00/5 for $4.00 swaplist (now a link in my sig line). I have a lot more stuff to add- as of this message, the "Sooper Dooper Dollar Sale" list is still less than halfway complete. I'll reserve it for you if you PM me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    PM sentimage
    Joe