Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Submission results/impressions - British coppers

Received my and rhound's NGC submission this afternoon, here's a quick look at the process and results

Mailed to NGC 17 Nov 2003
Received by NGC 20 Nov 2003
NGC return mailed 4 Dec 2003
Coins received back here 6 Dec 2003

19 day total turnaround at $12 per coin, 19 coins submitted. imageimage
I will cover my coins and rhound can add his if he chooses.

I recently purchased another small batch of coppers from Colin Cooke, specifically targetting his coins described as BU-Full Luster when possible. I also added two coins that I needed that were not BU, but described as UNC and virtually BU.

1903 1/4d
I had a very hard time getting my eye to match up with graders on Edward's 1/4ds...figured I would just buy a nice one based on Colin Cooke's description, and let the chips fall. Coin described as Virtually BU. I thought this coin would grade out at a solid MS63.
NGC MS64BR

1918 1/4d
I already had a gem dark finish Geo V, and needed the bright finish bronze to make the 1/4d type set. There were a number of coins available, and I selected one described as BU-Full luster, slight toning. I predicted this coin would go MS65.
NGC MS65RB

1951 1/4d
I needed this one without IND IMP to complete my Geo VI 1/4d set. I again selected a BU-Full luster coin. These are not expensive, but high quality, red, totally fingerprint free 1/4d are tough here in NC. I wanted a very nice coin (65 or better and red) as these are not exactly "old". I predicted this coin would go MS65.
NGC MS65RD

1927 1d
Another coin needed for Mod effigy type. The 27 is much, much cheaper than the 26 which would also satisfy the type requirements. I was looking for a MS63 or better with luster. Bought the coin described as UNC, good luster. I knew it wouldn't make gem, but also thought/predicted it was very solid in MS63.
NGC MS64 RB

1948 1d
1d with IND IMP to finish my entire 1d set from Geo III to pre-decimal Eliz II. I wanted a red gem to match other coins in my set of the same age. Another inexpensive coin, described as BU-Full luster.
Predicted MS65.
NGC MS65RD

Impressions and thoughts:
I described the Ed 1/4d as Dark Finish on the forms, but it still came back designated as BR color.image I guess anything that isn't red or red/brown gets a straight BR.image

I submitted one of the cased Canada dollars that we have seen so many of on the forum lately. It was a 1972 with some REALLY stunning and deep colors. I listed it as a Specimen. NGC had no problems certifying the coin and its color. It graded PR67. image

Coins from Colin Cooke went gem 3 for 3 when described as BU-full luster. This now makes a cumulative total of 6 for 6 on the last 2 submissions.

I still hold my opinion that NGC is about a 1/2 point to 1 point looser than ANACS on British copper.

I still hold my opinion that NGC's turnaround time and cost are excellent in comparison to all LEGIT TPGs.

I wasn't sure if the wildly toned Canadian would get bagged, it was a test piece before I sent any other toned coins. I have confidence in NGC to treat at least the cased (71, 72, 73) Canadian dollars fairly. They did designate it as a proof, but aren't these cased dollars specimens?

I don't know Colin Cooke, he doesn't know me from Adam, and I don't do an enormous amount of business with him. I only want to point out that his BU-Full luster coins are well suited to submit for MS65 results.

I'll gladly answer questions if there are any, and I'll try to get a few pics loaded into the thread.

Joe

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great post Joe image

I think that you've covered pretty much everything; plus, now I know what happened to all these BU full lustre coins that were marked as "sold" .image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Dimitri, I was never able to find a BU-full luster Ed 1/4d on he site, someone was ALWAYS beating me to them when he updated.
    Yup, I'm probably guilty of picking over his coins the last few months for the bargain BU coins.
    Joe
  • Options
    Great stuff Joe!! Come on tell us what Glen sent in!! image I think Mikey is posting ours this week. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Don has a submission due back any day too. All I can say about Glenn's submission is that he sent in many different types, and did very well.image
    Joe
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Those are wonderful results!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Great results! I wonder how you got such a fast turnaround, when it took me nearly 2 months on an early bird submission.image But I was relatively happy with the results. I wonder if it has to do with US versus foreign coins, as mine were all Liteside.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Sounds like you got some greats coins and grading.image

By the way you might want to check out THIS GUY's stuff. MAke sure you read through his grading system first. Very acurate when it comes to discribing his coins. I purchase from him and was very pleased.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice report Joe. I like these summaries you do.

Cosmic - I like Michael Coins too. Been to his shop a few times. He's very particular about grading, but virtually nothing he has gets the "UNC" grade (pAS or AS).
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received my coins back from NGC yesterday. My results were very mixed. But I did have three bodybags. image I was expecting only one BB.

Here's the complete submission:
    1821 1/2 C BB 'polished' ( This was wishful thinking, BB OK)

1898 Trade Dol BB 'Obv Damage' There are bag marks!!! Geez, if it was a Morgan it would have been MS64

1790M Mexico 8 Reales BB 'cleaned' Yeah c'mon, again, if this was a Bust Half it would have been slabbed.

1928A 5M MS62 Thought the coin would go VF. Obviously I can't grade German

1887 Crown MS61 Multi Toned, fantastic looking coin. Green, blue, and some subdued red. I though it was AU55-58.

1711 Anne 6p VF25 I thought VF

1927 Canada 5c AU58 thought it would go MS62, one of those coins where an AU58 is far nicer than a MS60.

1918 Canadian 5c sil MS62 OK I though 63,

1920 Canadian 5c silver MS62 OK I though 63

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to try NGC AGAIN...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.