Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I've spent over $1500 on coins over the past two weeks...

...$1100 on ebay this week alone.

Am I insane?image

Comments

• Options
    You are if part of that was the rent, or if the expenditure will force you to say no when your wife says "Let's go out to dinner".

Otherwise - keep on truckin!
    Roy

• Options
    I'm not married yet, so I can consider the expenditure an investment for retirement. It just seems that some coins are so cheap that I can't say no...image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The way I see it, when you buy a coin you are not really spending any money, because (if you buy smart) you can resell them and either get your money back or even make money!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The way I see it, when you buy a coin you are not really spending any money, because (if you buy smart) you can resell them and either get your money back or even make money! >>

EXACTLY!! Now, come on over and explain that to my wife!! image
  • Options
    I hope it wasn't all on Churchill Crowns imageimage
  • Options
    I've spent a bit more than that and finally found the limits of the wife's patience. image

Anyone got any good ways of burying coin costs ?
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Is burying coin costs similar to, or as difficult as burying a body?!

Dead King, I try to use that same reasoning to justify my coin collecting habits--that I'm not really "spending" money but rather converting it into another form.

By the way, this Hetman dude has come out of nowhere (not that he's not welcome here....) but never introduced himself. Perhaps he's some High Roller in disguise? Perhaps someone of the rodent persuasion??

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone got any good ways of burying coin costs ? >>

I tell my husband that I am "diversifying (?sp) our portfolio". I have one of those Vanguard portfolio summaries with one of the investment categories labeled 'gold and coins'--I don't think he noticed when it had changed from just 'gold'.

Anyway, my ploy worked better when it was just the occasional gold coin, but now that he is seeing the house and my office strewn with books like "World Coins" and "Japanese Coinage" he is starting to get suspicious. That, and when I ran off to a coin show while we were on vacation in Hawaii (it was that or the Dole plantation...I'm thinking I had more fun). Definitely suspicious. I just hope he doesn't do an ebay search under my bidder name image.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Am I insane?

Probably.imageimage

But not because you bought coins - otherwise we'd all be in lockup together.

My Brit coin collection turned out to be a much shrewder investment than my stock picks, although my better half debates that with me every time the subject comes up!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.