Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know...........?

Were there any proof or mint sets produced in GB and Ireland in 1969? And if so, anyone know where I might find one of each?
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    There were not any issued by Great Britain. I know nothing about Ireland.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "I know nothing..." --Mortuus Rex

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Sorry - no proofs were minted in GB in 1969. Sets started being produced each year beginning in 1971. There is also a 1970 set with the old coinage that was produced somewhat later.

In fact, the only coins minted in GB in 1969 were the 5 new pence, 10 new pence and 50 new pence as Britain was readying itself for decimalisation. Any leftover £sd coinage minted that year had the date 1967.

In Ireland, only the 5p and 10p pieces were minted. Again, I believe no proofs were made.image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    To make matters more complicated, the 1969 GB issues are actually quite tricky to locate in pristine condition. Seems almost nobody wanted to collect decimal coinage. The 50p can be had, but the 5p and 10p are elusive, but not impossible.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, guess I'll have to assemble a non-proof set the old fashioned way.....should be a fun diversion.
    imageimage

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the blue package mint sets of decimal coinage put out by the
    Bank of England contain the '69 coins.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a purty 1970 Brit proof set, though...and a 1968 Liteside proof set. image

Dang, missed it on either side.

Your birthyear, perchance, Jeff? I can keep my eyes open for other possibilities...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Some of the blue package mint sets of decimal coinage put out by the

If that happens, it's only because someone pulled a switch. Those were issued with 1968 5p and 10p - and no 50p.

Besides, I would avoid those things like the plague - they were made using PVC. The coins from these sets are mostly in rotten shape.
  • Options
    I have one of the 1970, last shilling/pence set, but never thought much about a 1969 set as I am still slowly working on my british set and most of the old coinage is circulated not uncirculated.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, thats me birth year. I'm trying to assemble a collection of government packaged proof, proof-like, or specimen sets from as many countries as I can. So far my list of the ones I have is as follows:

Singapore 6 coin Mint Set in a little black, vinyl wallet
    Canada 6 coin Proof-like Set in manila envelope/cello
    Australia 6 coin Proof Set(stunning coins in DCAM, I might add) in hard plastic holder
    South Africa 7 coin Proof Set in blue case
    South Africa 9 coin Proof Set in red case(took me ~18 months to put this one back together)
    New Zealand 7 coin UNC Souvenir Set in blue vinyl wallet(with James Cook bi-centennial commem dollar)
    Israel 6 coin UNC Specimen Set in printed cardboard holder
    Liberia 6 coin Proof Set in plastic holder(3 of the coins are nasty looking, with green gunk)
    Tunisia 10 coin 1 Dinar Proof Set(nicely toned) in a cool red wooden box(these are Franklin Mint coins.)

If anyone has any leads on sets that I don't have, please let me know.
    imageimage

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of the blue package mint sets of decimal coinage put out by the

If that happens, it's only because someone pulled a switch. Those were issued with 1968 5p and 10p - and no 50p.

Besides, I would avoid those things like the plague - they were made using PVC. The coins from these sets are mostly in rotten shape. >>

These used to be extremely common here and didn't really start turning bad until
    about the mid-'80's. I pulled lots of nice coins from these sets and washed them in
    acetone and put them in storage. It is entirely possible that the '69 coins were
    switched into the sets but these were found from multiple sources with the '69's.

1969 is one of the best years for great coins. There are dozens of very rare coins
    and hundreds of great coins in this year! Many seemingly common coins will prove
    to be nearly impossible.
    Tempus fugit.