Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Electrolysis: Good or bad...

And do you use it?
Corrupting youth since 2004

Comments

• Options
    Got rid of the hair on my legs for good.
  • Options
    Good for you Darkhorse.

Now moving along...
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used it on detector finds. (Silver and gold).

Can't recommend it for porous copper or copper-nickel alloys. I electrolysized the first large cent I ever dug (it was a 1796-1807 Draped Bust coin, too)- and made it worse. Now it's just a featureless brown slug. image

Word to the wise.

Electrolysis does have its uses, though. Just don't overdo it.

Another thing to watch out for is the clamps you use- they can scratch a coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I've heard it's great for removing verdigris. I'd like to someday try it and see how it works. On the other hand, I'd prefer to buy Mouse or Wybrit-quality coins that are already FDC...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quick zap can work well on verdigris, but I would only do that on really gunky coins. Otherwise, the Vaseline or oil-soak method would probably be better.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.