Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Could Someone Give Me an I.D.

On this coin - diameter 27mm - probably French but .......

imageimage

Thanks in Advance

L

Comments

• Looks like Louis XVI, prior to the Revolution, probably a 12 deniers. Here's a link to a really bad scan of one from 1791... Could be a 6 deniers I suppose but I'm not sure of the size of those at the time.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • I still don't have an 18th century Krause, but I do believe it is French off the top here.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Sounds like a 12-denier coin.

As elverno mentioned, it's from the reign of the unfortunate Louis XVI, who was destined to become guillotine fodder a few years after that.

I can't make the mintmark out- that would be at the bottom of the shield. That's a "bomb" privy mark below the bust, which indicates me that it should be an A-mintmark (Paris) coin. The bomb privy mark was also used at Perpignan (mintmark: Q), but a few years earlier than that.

A 1785-A 12-denier piece lists for about four bucks in VG, in my old ANA Centennial hardcover Krause books I keep here at work, but those are a little over 10 years old now.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • French copper 1 Sol, C-73, 1785?, if bomb privy mark below the bust and the Paris (A) mint mark below the shield then its likely worth about $2-$4 or so. Mintage total of 328,000 is included with the scarcer 1/2 sol of the same date and mint.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>French copper 1 Sol, C-73, 1785?, can't make out the privy mark below the bust or the Mint mark below the shield. Likely worth about $2 or so. >>

Clarification of Brad's post: 12 deniers = 1 sol. Same thing.

Definitely a bomb privy mark, there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thanks everyone - very enlightening again........

Lloyd
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Pretty endarkening too...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22