Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Received Some Grades Today -- Let's Play Liteside

Just for fun (and yes, because I suspected if the coins graded what I felt they might their value would be increased) I sent six George VI 25c pieces into PCGS. Here are the results:

1 21388596 1937 25C CANADA MS64
2 21388597 1939 25C CANADA MS65
3 21388598 1941 25C CANADA MS64
4 21388599 1946 25C CANADA MS64
5 21388600 1947 25C CANADA MS64
6 21388601 1947 25C Maple Leaf CANADA MS62

All the coins were purchased raw for their toning at fairly modest prices. I was curious to see if PCGS would body bag any of them. I believed in my heart of hearts all to be original.

Very happy with the 39, 46, and the 47. The 47 maple leaf is the only one I missed the boat on. I thought it might 64 also.

Here are some pre grading pics: First the 1939

The reverse of the 1937

And lastly the 1946:

Clankeye

Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    Nice toning on the 46
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    PS-- I know this is The Dark Side, and we probably frown on these kind of threads... but I just couldn't resist.

Clankeye
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    My dumb remark for the day:
    Why did Canadian coinage carry the "IND IMP" inscription?? What's the significance supposed to be to Canadians?

[ Nice coins btw imageimage ]
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Emperor of India is written on all British and colonial coins until 1949, if I remember correctly.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Very nice coins and toning on the 46 looks great! And as Jester said, Emperor of India, until they gained independence....
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jester, 1947 not 1949. Indian Independence was in 1947.

Carl, nice grades. The MS65 is difficult to find on pre-1940 coins. Some of us darksiders are not as slabphobic as others. I'm expecting a submission back from NGC Monday. Maybe I'll post the results if they aren't too embarrassing.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Ajaan--

Yes, the 1939--that was the one I was really hoping for. In fact, I don't think I would have bothered with the submission at all if I hadn't thought that coin might 65.

The 47 going 64 was nice too, since I kind of unknowingly sold my other one in that grade to you. image

Clankeye
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    jester, 1947 not 1949. Indian Independence was in 1947.

As far as the coinage is concerned, jester is correct. IND:IMP was removed starting with issues dated 1949.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    attractive coins and good results. I like the 39, but I still think the 46 may be alittle underrated as a better date.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Those are some nice toned coins image
  • Options
    Gotta tell ya...I love that '46 - hubba hubbaimage
    Shep
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canadian coins in 1948. That is, no IND IMP.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Very beautiful ; next time, try not to post the grades in advance Clank image

Is this the "Wayte Raymond" toning?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    37 reverse looks very appealing, Clank. image rhound and I have a submission due back next week, we'll share results too. We're waiting for Don on Monday too.image
    Joe
  • Options

<< <i>Is this the "Wayte Raymond" toning? >>

Syracusian--I don't know how these particular coins toned, as they were toned when I found them. I'm not sure how much Wayte Raymond holders have been used in the collecting of Canadian coins.

I found some Wayte Raymond pages for Canadian mint sets, and feel really lucky, because I've never seen any other before or after.

Coinkat--I agree with you about the 1946 being underrated.

The 1939 isn't as dramatically toned as the 46, but in person it's a really nice coin. The luster around the rims is irridescent.

Clankeye