Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A couple new arrivals in today's mail...

A couple of different items, the first is an 1802 Establishment in Lyon of the Italian Republic:
It was also known as the Cisalpine Republic.

This piece is something of a mixture of a pattern, a coin and a medal. It honors Frederick William III of Prussia and was struck on a 5 franc blank.

Not great pics but I snapped them in a hurry... image
Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    Nice bronze, elverno! image

Who engraved it?
  • Options
    The bronze was done by Luigi Manfredini. He was the principal engraver of the Milan mint around 1802. Here's one of his and here's another. He worked well past 1815.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Very nice pieces indeed !!

Just what I need is another area of numismatics looking to send me to the poor house image
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Manfredini's work is exceptional!! Someday I intend to acquire some of his medals. Unfortunately, it's not an area I can afford to get into at this time.

I've not seen that "Franco-German" medal before! Very interesting!!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    When I saw the "Ange de Paix" piece I was vaguely reminded of another that I collected produced in that first month after Napoleon had abdicated. I've been told that this piece is a pattern, and I've seen another sold as such. I bought it for $5:

Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Odd that the '4' in the year is reversed. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Yeah, the reversed 4 and the rather svelte version of Louis XVIII is what made me look at it in the first place. I have the same piece in brass but it must be from the end of the die's life. ElLinko There are cracks through several spots and the 'A' of Avril is almost gone... image

Edited because I can usually spell... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)