Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is this a British EF?

I wanted to get some opinions on this, do you think it's a British EF? Text

Comments

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Oh, it's definitely at least gEF. I'm not intimate with that design but it appears George's curls over his ear are very high relief which contributed to the 'cab fric'. Technically speaking, the coin is more likely AS (as struck).

I also wonder if it came from the October DNW sale as they had much material akin to this piece. You might try to search for a plate of it in that sale to get a PR!! image

Nice bob, though! Given NENs propensity toward flat, washed out images, I'll bet it's very pretty 'in hand'.

Mac
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a British EF ?

A newb needs some information about this statement. Where would one find a book that explains the different grading standards that are used around the world. JFI, what are the grades the British use ?

Thanks in Advance.
    Ken
  • I believe they would call it a gEF
  • Python
    That appears to be EF. BUT there are obvious wear points which may or may not appear worse in the hand. There are normal weaknesses, ie the hair doesn't seem attached to anything. The nose is good. When you see one of these in the hand the first thing you notice is that the profile outline is one of the coins high points. It's slightly raised.

Very nice example - from a Sterling point of view that would be a decent collection buy. It would be hard to trade from it though.

For the type of coins you buy it may be a good idea to get it on approval. You could make your mind up in 10 seconds flat....

I've only just noticed that it's PCGS graded AU58.... Looks like a buy!!

L
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Python, what a nice buy!! Good job.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    It's awesome! Nice catch image
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brett, I say YES! I would think that is a Brit. EF. Nice coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A newb needs some information about this statement. Where would one find a book that explains the different grading standards that are used around the world. JFI, what are the grades the British use ?

Thanks in Advance.
    Ken >>

Ken, the Krause Catalogs have a table at the front that gives the various terminology used in coin grading around the world. The British grades are as used in the Spink catalogs, and generally speaking, are much stricter than American grades.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the scan I believe it makes a British EF... GEF? Its possible, but I would like to see the coin first. I think you did well. Congrats on a terrific addition to the collection.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I believe (based on the scan) that it does make Brit EF. A superb coin!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Looks EF to me. Congratulations on the grab!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    A very nice piece, Python!!image Congratulations!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Thanks for the help on this one. With this much money I wanted to get opinions. I'll let you know how it looks
    in 90 days after I get it paid for. image