Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about shipping a high value coin to the UK...

I currently have a 1911 King George V Coronation £5 Gold Proof on eBay. A potential bidder just asked me for the shipping cost to the UK. I have shipped to the UK many times but the value has typically been in the $20 to $100 range. Registered air-mail post or Global Priority Mail has worked just fine for these small shipments. Since this coin will sell in the $1,200 - $1,500 range, does anyone have any suggestions for shipping to the UK? Does FedEx or similar carrier offer fully insured service from the US to the UK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
My eBay Auctions

Silver Eagle Coin Company Website
Silver Chinese Pandas, Canadian Maple Leafs, Australian Kookaburras, Mexican Libertads, and Austrian Philharmonics NOW AVAILABLE at Excellent Prices!

Comments

• Options
    How about the good 'ole U.S. Mail? Insurance up to $2,499 is available with Guaranteed Global Express. Check it out.
    Roy

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    If I am not mistaken, I believe coins and jewelry can not be insured using global express mail. If the merchandise is lost and a claim is filed, it may be rejected.

This link explains the concern I have.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Thanks Roy! I never thought of Global Express Mail. The cost with $1500 insurance is $34. I was thinking in terms of "registered mail" which I routinely use for high value US shipments. For some reason, registered mail outside the US is limited to $40.45 maximum liability.

Edited... I just read Tom's link about restricted items:

"Coins; banknotes; currency notes (paper money); securities payable to bearer; traveler's checks; manufactured and unmanufactured platinum, gold, silver; precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles, may only be sent in registered letter-post shipments or insured parcel post."

I guess insured airmail parcel post is the way to go which costs about $33.

Thanks guys! image
    My eBay Auctions

Silver Eagle Coin Company Website
    Silver Chinese Pandas, Canadian Maple Leafs, Australian Kookaburras, Mexican Libertads, and Austrian Philharmonics NOW AVAILABLE at Excellent Prices!
  • Options

<< <i>registered mail outside the US is limited to $40.45 maximum liability >>

Roy

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the same restrictions apply to Airmail Parcel Post also.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I've had high value shipments come from Europe, but never the other way. I would email NEN and see how they handle this since they are most likely acquainted with the very best method, whatever it is.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    For what it's worth, FedEx won't ship coins insured either.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    And according to UPS rules, they don't allow shipment of metals or coins at all. So how do people safely ship high value metals and coins?? I still don't have a satisfactory answer to this.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I've received Fedex parcels of high value from the States (and they were insured), but that was 2-3 years ago. Make sure to tell the potential bidder that the UK charges a flat 5% on coins imported from non-EU countries.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3