Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What resolution would you suggest I set my digital camera

at for taking pictures of my coins? I am new to digital photography and will need a lot of practice. I've been using a scanner for the coin pics for years.

Comments

• Options
    Susan, I use 640 x 480 for anything I will upload to the web. If I want to print a picture I use higher resolution settings. 640 x 480 gives you a small sized file (yet a nice picture) to start with compared to the higher settings.

Hopefully some other digital camera users will chime in here, I'm no expert.
    Joe
  • Options
    I personally use the highest setting which gives me room to tweak and manipulate. But that may not be for you.
  • Options
    Phil, do you then use max compression on your camera to deal with the large file sizes?
    Joe
  • Options
    I compress my images as little as possible. Having said that I don't really compress any images on my digicam and the images I take run around 1megabytes+ I eventually shrink them down of course.
  • Options
    I do the same as DH you can always shrink them down but you can never go back up without problems.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    1500 x 2500 ( roughly ), then tweak and shrink for upload, but keep larger version on puter and disc (CD) for insurance purposes.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Take your pics at the highest resolution and use software to edit/reduce the size.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I always suggest the highest you can go. It's the best kind of zoom you can get without distorting the image like a regular resize in a software program would do.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help, guys image