Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old thread 11/30/03==The Civil War Token Journal sadly reports Mr. Civil War Token guy Bryon Kanzing

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
He is the author of the recent book on Civil War Tokens.

He did the show in Baltimore a few times as well.

He was a gentleman. He will be missed by those who knew him.
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    he will be missed

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options

• Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought Bryon's book a couple of years ago. When it came, it had an nice inscription and his signature. I was shocked to hear of his passing. Rest in peace, Bryon.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryan succeeded in doing something that no one else had ever done. He compiled the best Civil War token price guide to date. It was not perfect, but it was BY FAR the best work that has ever been done on the subject.

The rest of his book also had a lot of very useful information for high beginner to intermediate collector. The book would be worth the price if it contained that information alone.

We can only speculate upon what this young gentlemen might have done if he could have enjoyed a long life. He will be sorely missed.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...what a shame. image Anyone know the details??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a follow up from Bret at EERC.

Link
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Very sad, I also just lost a friend (34 yrs old) to cancer. It just shouldn't happen to people that young!

I never knew or met him, but the world I'm sure will not be the same without him. At least we have his work as a legacy.

Michael
  • Options
    Bryon came to the Parsippany, NJ show a few times with me in the past year and he was quite a nice fellow. I even met him one show just to purchase his old 19th century set of the Encyclopedia Brittanica and load up my car so I would not have to pay for shipping. I did not realize then, why he was selling his collection of prized books.

I remember now why he shaved his head then. it was not because he wanted to.

It is with much mixed emotions now when I open those great old books. I will dedicate those books to the fine young man.

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear that, Oreville. He was always fun to chat with over on the other board. Never had any idea he was sick. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    The Civil War Token group has taken quite a hit in the last decade.

Bryon Kanzinger in 2003 and now Stephen Tanenbaum in 2011.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also Bret Palser in 2006
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know about Bryon, I always wondered why his book was never updated. The knowledge this board takes for granted is invaluable.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file