Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Have 1967 Topps gone "cold"

This card is usually $100+ every time.

Hamilton PSA 8

Comments

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    It went for $89, thats not too off the mark...jay
  • ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Hey--I was expecting it to go a bit higher too--. Just thought 2 other bidders could go after this after one. Timing of the auction may have allowed bidders to miss it or not solidify snipes. In any case, I am just flat out refusing to go triple digits after a common 8, regardless of population. I'd rather open a Series I cello and pull him and Duke Sims out together image
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Had it on my watch list to see what it would do. I thought $89 was too high for what I was willing to pay. The high bidder covered himself with a couple of bumps just to make sure. If another bidder was out there, that either scared him off or else Acowa is right and the market has softened.

Afternoon ending time shouldn't matter to the snipers.

Guru, that would be fun to pull both from a pack. Hope you do it someday.
  • Probably had more to do with the rough cut on the left border, tilt in the centering, and prints spots in the METS "E" and "T" and a bit in the black pinstripe border. Viewed 140+ times, I'm guessing that the set collectors wanted to wait to pay triple digits for an 8 that was a little more problem-free.

Kevin
  • Stonegate:

Are you looking for a 9 in 8 clothing? Please note when you view that scan, it is enlarged considerably. To the naked eye, the print issues are unnoticeable. Some people (myself included) prefer rough cuts. If people passed for that reason, they lost out on a great card for no good reason.

Acowa:

While some auctions were a little soft, I was not displeased with the results of the Hamilton or many other of the auctions that ended today. (I mean Hamilton did go for nearly 6X SMR). Rojas and Boswell went for close to 1 1/2 times SMR, and Agee went for 2X SMR. Briles also went for nearly 2X SMR. I think 67's are still moving well.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Acowa, what kind of scanner are you using? That's a beautiful picture.
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    That's Joe T's scanner so I will defer to him. I just linked the picture.

With respect to the price...this card is considered one of the tougher commons in the set. I have sold several of the tougher ones for well over double what this one closed at. I would've, should've, could've bid more on this one...but I didn't feel it would be "neighborly" to run up the GURU.

To Toppsguns point, it take's two idiots to run up the price of a piece of encapsulated cardboard. I am just sorry I wasn't one of those idiots on this one.

Regards,

Alan

• BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

How bout somebody provide a POP analysis for the past year....that may answer your question.
    I just viewed the pop report and there is 16 PSA-8's and 9 PSA-7's of Jack Hamilton. So $89 seems pretty good to me, regardless what it used to fetch. I also checked out other low pops and saw Sims, Bristol, M. Alou & Sparma all w/ the same & less pop in PSA-8's then Hamilton and that took me to just card #21. ...jay

I would not consider 16 PSA 8s to be a hard to find card. A sleight premium over SMR yes...but not 6X SMR.

John

• Vindication.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Late 60s cards have only begun to be submitted to psa--seems this and other 10-15 pop cards in 8 have no place to go but down but I may be wrong as it is a popular set.

Also do not believe there are any psa 8s in set with pop of less than 10.

Other than 1968 appears to be easiest larger pre-1970 major set to put together in 8.
    Maybe I have a bias because this was the last card I needed to complete my 1967 set. I don't fully trust the pop reports because high end cards are routinely broken out and resubmitted hoping for higher grades. Even if the pop reports were dead on... a card with a pop of 10 isn't a slam dunk to find. Ask Dan about his buddy Al Worthington.

My point (assuming that I ever had one) was that many of the top sets are in fact missing this card...and it couldn't garner $100 puzzled me a bit. Other sets are just a bit more competitive I guess. All in all, if Joe's happy then I am happy.

Regards,

Alan

For everyone that thought this would be the last Hamilton ever. (like myself) ... SUPRISE

Link to new auction

Regards,

Alan
  • I don't think the pop report has any validity any longer. Too many high grade 8s have been resubmitted numerous times and still come back an 8. Why are they resubmitted? Frankly, to catch a more lenient grader who might let it slide. Does that happen? Absolutely. But more times than not, it comes back an 8. Do I have in hand proof? This Saturday at Ft Washington, I am buying a 1961 Mantle PSA 8 #300 that has been reviewed and resubmitted ad nauseum for a PSA 9. The owner is finally giving up and selling it to me for my 1961 set. The previous Mantle he had that I wanted to buy was a stunning 8 and he had it reviewed and it got a 9.

I also think the day of the week, time of the day, holidays, weather, etc. all play a factor into prices. Remember, not all bidders use snipe programs. I don't. I love to see the action during the last minute. Heck, how many times have I fell asleep and missed a midnight auction? *laugh*

See you at Ft Washington !!! Bring your money and snow shovels! *wink* I will be wearing a Brooklyn Dodgers cap. Look forward to seeing other Set Registry members.

AL Z.

<< <i>Too many high grade 8s have been resubmitted numerous times and still come back an 8 >>

HUBCAP - With cards like the '61 Mantle you mentioned ad other big $ cards, re-submitting can be very profitable if the bump occurs.
    But how many of us take a 1960's common and re-submit it several times? The grading/shipping fees will kill a chunk of the increase,
    if it even increases in grade at all....jay
    Here's the kind of love that 1967's deserve:

1967 Jim Lonborg PSA 8 Diamond cut

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Acowa,

Is that a bad 8? It looks ok to me. I thought I was bad!

aconte
    Tony,

I don't think it's a "bad 8"...it looks like it meets the standards. I wouldn't call it high end. It's up to almost $170...that's all.

Regards,

Alan
  • UllrUllr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    $300 Photo Finish
    1967 red Sox cards are never cold
    Third place bidder felt it was worth $96
    Pop report 16 8's
    2 9's
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs

This auction tells us that there currently are TWO people on this earth...who would pay that much for the card.
  • The two high bidders got into a bit of a tiff. Next time, everything else being equal, this card goes for $97 or less.

Either way, I'm glad I got my Lonborg in the Fall '02 Superior auction (skylane's lot of 225 different 8's) for just slightly under SMR.image
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Just skimming through the Pop Report, it appears that John Romano #196 and Andy Etchebarren #457 are the two toughest cards in the set now. (This is excluding the rare variation cards.) Both have the same Population at 8 or higher: ten 8's and one 9. Al Worthington #399 and Sal Bando #33 get honorable mention at ten 8's and two 9's.

As for the Lonborg, I'd be patient. The population is 16 in PSA 8, and more will surely come.
    Dan,

What's strange is that my Etchebarren PSA 8 NO QUALIFIER CARD(on EBAY currently hint hint shameless plug) hasn't had a sniff at $150. The Red Sox and Tigers always command a premium...but this much premium is scary.

Regards,

Alan
  • Here's another usual tough card that went for a reasonably low price:

1967 Hoerner PSA 8

Nice pickup for ejguru. Didn't he bust a 9 out of a pack last summer, or was that someone else??????????
  • Alan, that's a slider 8 if I ever saw one.image

Can't blame you for fishin' though.
    Especially since the pond where I fish had a free fishing day!

Regards,

Alan
    MLB--Good memory--I do have the Hoerner 9 straight from cello last year. I am still resubmitting a few from those packs to be bumped to their deserved grade of 9. Actually, some of those that were given 8's are just as nice as the Oliva 10.

E

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
    BTW 1967 regsitrants--

There are some high, high grade sets being formed. 2004 may see increased competition for mints.

• sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Yeah "t-gun"
    The guru promised me the "9" hoerner ......
    Still working the logistics - but I have my hopes that the deal will happen in the not to distant future....
    Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
    Sjjs--"Do I know you?" imageimageimage --kiddng.

Yeah, I think I'm still in need of a Brooksie in 8 and a couple of Red Sox in 9. That Lonborg in 9 would've been a nice starter to open up trade discussions Steve. I thought you knew I needed it.image

• Increased competition for mints in 04... hmmmm.................
    Way to step up MLB!

1967 Topps PSA 8 Hamilton

This card went for 20% more than the previous card auctioned by Joe T. with a scan that was 100% worse. EBAY is a strange market.

Regards,

Alan
  • Was it my breath?image
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
    I don't understand it either. That seller took forever to ship cards to me, but Joe ships within 24 hours and charges a buck for shipping...jay
  • This one is dead centered. (I don't recall Joe's being centered that well.) Hopefully the corners are nice, but the scan did leave a lot to be desired.

I'm down to two cards to finish in all 8 or better. I'm at 100% on the Registry since I have those last two in 7, but hopefully I find them in 8's before I lose interest.image

Hope the guy takes refunds....

<< <i>Hope the guy takes refunds.... >>

BASILONE - It took me almost a month to get my Santo off of him.
    I can't imagine how long the process would be for refunds...jay
    I lived in the same freaking town as him and it took him 2+ weeks.

John
  • "Hope the guy takes refunds.... "

I just hope it's a real 8 when it arrives, not a 7 in 8's clothing.

It's bad enough to write checks to someone in Ohio with Buckeye cheers in their auction location line.

GO WOLVERINES. BEAT TROJANS AND CLAIM #1 also.

• So...what do you figure? Everyone who wants one has one?
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • >>Briles also went for nearly 2X SMR
    The $32 I got it for in November was a relative bargain. I'd bought another one in
    July from sjjs and that one went $72.
    (I then kept my choice and tried listing the other one at $49.99 and got no takers,
    eventually relisting at $29 and selling for $38. Until July I hadn't ever seen an ungraded one
    that looked like more than a 6 so was willing to pay for the 8 whatever it took.
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • (I just discovered this forum, thanks to the link in acowa's article - great reading)

>>There are some high, high grade sets being formed. 2004 may see increased competition for mints.

For a while I was seeing rweigel winning all the 9's for multiple hundreds of dollars each
    (like Abernathy). I like a few 9's to balance out my 7's until I get all 8's but hard to compete against
    his seeming budget.