Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What struck you about your 1st visit to a coin....

... shop? I remember being 9 years old, walked into the Ala Moana Shopping Center "Island Coin Shop" in Honolulu with my dad ( I was interested, he wasn't). Being my first time in a coin shop I was thrilled and overwhelmed at all the awesome coins in the cases. There was a heavy stale, tobacco smoke odor. And I came out of there with a 1942-S Mercury Dime-- my first US coin type that was no longer minted. I also came away with the strange perception that you pointed to a coin you wanted in the case, then the dealer reaches down into some under-cabinet, and pulls out one just like it. I guess it just looked that way to me.

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    What struck me most , was that it was a Hobby Shop also and I was there to get modle airplane parts and noticed a display of Gold coins, He Had a $20 Saint there on this little turntable and I asked him the price. He showed me the coin and said it was uncirculated and it was $50,,,image I almost fell on the floor... That was as much as the MAC- 60 I was saving up for.image

Edited to add...... The MAC - 60 hit the ground at about 185 MPH In a class "C" Speed plane on the tarmack of what is now Orlando International.,,,, had I kept it new in the box it would be worth 4X the value of that Saintimage
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    The carefully cultivated clutter accented by the gleam of silver and gold from every direction-is this not a childhood fantasy?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    I noticed how old everyone was and wondered if this was the right hobby for me. And I still do.image
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed how old everyone was and wondered if this was the right hobby for me. And I still do.image >>

Not everybody!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was on the Grand Concourse, in the Bronx. My brother and father went in for stamps. I was very young, maybe 5 or 6, and I would rummage through the junk coin box. I remember purchasing a 20 Franc piece.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD