Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OK, Darksiders- look at this Liteside coin for a moment.

About twenty posts down in this Liteside thread discussing Franklin halves:

<< <i>This one sold at the Superior sale for $1600
PCGS MS66 FBL >>

My response:

You've gotta be shi__ing me. image

1. Somebody would pay over a thousand bucks for a 1963-D Franklin?

2. ...and a spotty, ugly 1963-D Franklin, at that?

3. Was the PCGS grader blindfolded? OK, maybe there were FBL's on the reverse, but 66?!? Ben's got buckshot wounds on his face, fer cryin' out loud! Are you sure you posted the right picture?

My first question got Lucy's goat, LOL. But really, now, is it just me, or is this Liteside madness at its worst? Somebody buying the plastic. 'Cause I sure as shootin' don't see nothing appealing about that coin. Maybe it has Full Bell Lines (whoop-de-do), but MS66? Bah. I'd bodybag it. Am I crazy, or was somebody else sniffing too much melted plastic slab fumes or something?

Somebody tried to get me to pay $1,600 for that thing, and I would send them Big Kitty in a box, in hopes that she'd give them a little "present".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh... now I notice that the Liberty Bell apparently got hit with some of the shrapnel from the same grenade that exploded next to Ben's cheek... or is that my imagination?

MS66. imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked...it gives me renewed hope that some of the 64's that I have are really 65'simageimageimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    That Frankie would make a good "type" coin for someone's collection of Liteside half dollars and that is about it. I would find it very difficult to pay that kind of money for a true MS66 let alone the POS posted!image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POS......image
  • Options
    Thank you. Total POS was my opinion, too, but I didn't say that, exactly, or a certain somebody would have Be Bopped a Lula on my head, if you knowhutimean. image

• Options
    Boy, if that coin is worth $1,600 I could retire on my Franklin collection.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    This raises the question of why people pay premiums for the FBL designation. So what if part of the strike is sharp?! If the coin has poor eye appeal, I can't see why anyone would pay big money for it.

What does a whole roll of UNC 1963-D Frankies go for, anyway?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

<< <i>Oh... now I notice that the Liberty Bell apparently got hit with some of the shrapnel from the same grenade that exploded next to Ben's cheek... or is that my imagination? >>

Definitely two separate grenades (or maybe morter shells?).image
    Roy

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Actually, I thought that was the ultra-rare "Vampire Bite" variety. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Oh, I take back the part about the PCGS grader being blindfolded. Even blindfolded, he coulda felt those craters with his bare hands! image

Grading by Braille... hmm... there's a concept. Sometimes I think it would be almost as accurate. (Not a specific slap at PCGS, mind you, but with every service there have been times when I wondered if a coin was graded by the dartboard or the braille method...)

• Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Even blindfolded, he coulda felt those craters with his bare hands! image >>

That may explain some of the finger print problems they've been having lately!

Seriously, that is one butt ugly 66 - a good canditate for grade review. Perhaps its possible the black splotch truned in the holder, but the shrapnel wounds certainly didn't.

-JamminJ

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<<Maybe it has Full Bell Lines (whoop-de-do), but MS66? Bah. I'd bodybag it. Am I crazy, or was somebody else sniffing too much melted plastic slab fumes or something>>

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This raises the question of why people pay premiums for the FBL designation. So what if part of the strike is sharp?! If the coin has poor eye appeal, I can't see why anyone would pay big money for it. >>

Sounds like a neurosis.. OCD, maybe?
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    IMO that is a $10 coin!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a bad case of overgrading. Probably market graded to the max too because of the FBL (if they're even there). Let's see, bid on an MS-64 is $11.00. Wasn't even worth the price of certification.

Maybe Hall personally handed this one to the graders and said "See what you can do with this." image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Civitas is willing to pay $11, so I am out!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I would be happy to scale back to my usual buy price for scrap silver (3.0X face) if you really want to be the buyer on that one, Aethelred. image

Judging by the look of that coin, I may actually have some $1600.00 treasures in my scrap bucket. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>I would be happy to scale back to my usual buy price for scrap silver (3.0X face) if you really want to be the buyer on that one, Aethelred. image

Judging by the look of that coin, I may actually have some $1600.00 treasures in my scrap bucket. image >>

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Registry madness run amok! This is exactly the sort of point that I have been trying to make on every post about buying coins and not plastic! LM -> I wouldn't give you melt for that POS, much less $1600!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Oh, I'd give melt for it. And a little for the plastic, too.

I thought about this, and decided to be charitable: I came to the exact same price conclusion Aethelred did: ten bucks total.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    ACG MS-66 maybe. An unattractive coin.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Personally, I would NOT give $10 for this coin. Not as a coin I would want to collect for eye appeal. Just my feelings of course.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options