Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Monnaies de Luxe - Comments Required

As most of you are aware I've spent the last fortnight or so wading through large auction bulk lots. During this process I've been keeping a box tabbed "Unidentified". This collection has become disturbingly large. Anyway, I came across the following:

The coin is struck on a thin flan and is just less than an inch in diameter. It appears to have the date 1222 which I believe converts to 1807. The images are pretty accurate as far as color goes. There are distinct glints of gold through the wear on the high points of the coin. It's probably a casbah token but read on and I quote Krause 3rd Edition (top page 1080, centre column):

MONNAIE DE LUXE....... In the 23rd year of the reign of Abdul Hamid II, two parallel series of gold coins were produced, regular mint issues and 'monnaies de luxe', which were intended primarily for presentation and jewelry purposes. The monnaies de luxe were struck to a slightly less weight and the same fineness as regular issues, but were broader and thinner, and from more ornate dies.

The coin remarkably resembles page 1087 #645 tagged "Cedid Mahmudiye". But is more ornate and slightly larger.

Any comments would be deeply and greatly appreciated.

L

Comments

• Options
    I do believe you're right, Lloyd. I've seen that before and I'm pretty sure it's an example of monnaie de luxe version.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Is there a coating on it? It's easy to see why they let it go into the bulk lot - it appears to be plastic at first glance....

L
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you implying that it's gold Lloyd?

I've handled quite a few of those "monnaies de luxe" Turkish gold; they're nice and sell at a slight premium than their normal versions (not the modern ones though). But I've never seen a coated one before.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Shall I dip it?

L