Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Why I like poking around coin shops

Every coin store I've been in usually has one case that shows signs of neglect-older items semi-buired one under the other, proof sets stacked with only the topmost showing with a clear layer of dust, etc. Having almost exhausted the resources of one coin shop I was about to leave without making a purchase (oh, the horror!) when I got permission to go through such a case.

You know the drill here, proof sets from Bermuda, Belize, Bahama's, Cook Islands, USSR, all the common ones you see in quantity everywhere. And then, towards the bottom, the tan leather edge of a proof set peeked out at me. Now In my book, leather is good-the first hopeful sign. Slide it out a little more and I see the coat of arms of Austria stamped large on the front of a wallet style leather holder. Open it gingerly and a big smile grows on my face-the 1965 Vienna University Anniversary 4 coin proof set, numbered and authenticated with the obverses ringed in gold, blue, red, and purple-breathtaking!. The reverses are solidly toned the same color as the Penny Black issue commemoratives (like the one Boz has as an icon) but with overlays of red and purple which bring up the detail that would have been lost with the dark toning. Best part is the price tag, noting 1991 Krause at $18.50. The set hadn't been touched in almost 13 years!

Randy at the counter smiled with a twisted grin when he saw the purchase-another good sign. Naturally I looked up the set in Krause when I got home and was pleased to see a value of $42.50, never mind the value of the beautiful toning. Even my wife appreciated this set- like multi-colored jewels. It's not worth a ton of money but just try to find one that looks like this one! image
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments