Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What's the absolute ugliest rendition of George III on a coin?

I know, this must be a very hard question to answer, as there are no good looking versions of that fat mug, but my vote goes to the 1816 large bust halfcrown, S-3788.

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    This mug is pretty bad too.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    I have to agree with the 1806/07 copper coinage...the double chin looks like butt cheeks.image
    Joe
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I have one of those farthings too, but he just looks like a moron there. I still stick with my other choice.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Yech, no wonder the colonies revolted.
  • Options

<< <i>I know, this must be a very hard question to answer, as there are no good looking versions of that fat mug, but my vote goes to the 1816 large bust halfcrown, S-3788.

imageimageimage >>

I agree with the halfcrown. However, I think the 1770-1775 half pennies look good.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I've got to agree with jester- that "bull head" is absolutely distorted; I don't know what was in the engraver's mind unless, of course, he disliked him.image

"Silver halfcrown of George III with "bull's head" bust 1817 was almost immediately replaced by a more attractive portrait engraved by Thomas Wyon. However, a similar bust was retained on the other silver coinage"- The king must have hated this portrait to effect so swift a replacement.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    The bullhead on the BOE issues are alot nicer.
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Any of them after 1800 look pretty bad. Insane in life, insane portrait on coins.
  • Options
    If you look at the 1811 3 shillings for example, it looks entirely like a different person. Is there any good work of art that depicts him realistically?image
  • Options

<< <i>I've got to agree with jester- that "bull head" is absolutely distorted; I don't know what was in the engraver's mind unless, of course, he disliked him.image

"Silver halfcrown of George III with "bull's head" bust 1817 was almost immediately replaced by a more attractive portrait engraved by Thomas Wyon. However, a similar bust was retained on the other silver coinage"- The king must have hated this portrait to effect so swift a replacement. >>

The public hated it, I don't think GeoIII knew, he had already been insane for 10 years or so.
  • Options
    <<<<<<<< image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The "Bullead" Halfcrown of 1816-1817 does not do much to flatter George III, but it is a great work of art!

This is what George really looked like at about the time these coins were minted:

This is George III in his prime about 1780:
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Well, it's obvious I don't know the history.image But now I do-the Darkside strikes again! Uh, I will be doing a little reading on George III as penence, I promise...image

MasterGraphic Aethelred to the rescue imageimage
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Don, is that a photo of you before you lost your hair?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Is it the "after" photo from your Hair Club for Simians membership?

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Tom, are you saying I make George III look "pretty?"image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose one could argue that it's George III on a lot of the state coppers...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.