Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

art nouveau gilt medal

I wish these medal engravers had been coin designers as well. I find their work equal to the nicest coins I've seen. Why weren't more of them used in coin design? Certainly their skill is obvious... and god knows I've seen some ugly coins. I hope this one doesn't get away from me; I'd love to have it-purient interests aside.image
medal
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    purty, and linas is a great guy to deal with. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Nice one I hope you are not looking for competition. image

I like THIS ONE.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Bill, you like 'em dark and gothic! This lion I would love but it's already pricey.image
  • Options
    Uh-oh, the first two are on my list. image I saw the lion, but it's not one I care to bid on. It's too high-priced for the grade and one appears about every 6 months or so. A mint condition example, though, can go considerably higher.

Many of the best medalists did in fact design coins and you can find their names on some French, German, and other coins. (Massoulle did not, as far as I know.) Many medalists were actually painters or sculptors and didn't press their art toward coinage. It's also a matter that medals are excellent for high-relief artwork, but not so coins. Many medalists simply didn't care to make the transition.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Askari, I've already received a PM concerning this medal from another forum member who has expressed an equal interest in its acquisition. You too?image
  • Options
    Massoulle's works are scarcer than that Lion and perhaps even that FIFA medal that probably paid for Lars' early retirement. Since I don't have an example of his work, yes, I will be competing for this one.

However, the Spirit of the Dark Side is calling me back to coins, so I'll be edging out of medals (for the most part) for a while. That will leave plenty of nice medals available to the newer collectors of same. When I get through my current list, I'll even let you know who are the best sources. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image