Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Your favorite darkside "lady Liberty"

I love the Ladies of Liberty but some are "more equal than others". I want to list my Icon coin Ceres head as my favorite although the 1899 2 Centavo from Argentina comes mighty close. Who is your favorite Lady and why?
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I like the Mexican Caballito. image

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... my original response disappeared. image

Anyway, I remember seeing the Statue of Liberty put together in New York back in '86 when I was only 46 years old. Since then I've liked seeing Lady Liberty as portrayed on the statue.

For that reason I like the French Indo China piastres du commerce and other silver coins.

Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

Lady "Libertad" from Mexico... What's not to like about a "topless" lady? image
    My eBay Auctions

Silver Eagle Coin Company Website
    Silver Chinese Pandas, Canadian Maple Leafs, Australian Kookaburras, Mexican Libertads, and Austrian Philharmonics NOW AVAILABLE at Excellent Prices!
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Hey, comicdebris, that's BRITANNIA, not Liberty! image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    NWCS, I'm going to have to confiscate that coin; it seems to have a reddish fungus that might be beneficial in the fight against any number of diseases. The dead kings men will be calling for it in the morning-they feel it will help bring him back to life.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a movie where ants held the key to cancer. But everyone wanted to fry them with a magnifying glass first. image

It is a cool coin, and more vibrant in person. I did have it certified. Mostly to have a top notch holder for it more than the grade (which was wrong). NGC gave it a 68 but I would give it a 67. But grade doesn't matter for it. Liberty bursting forth from the mountains at sunset...

A purely accidental tone, too. I put that in an envelope over 10 years ago and put it away with some things and stumbled on it this summer. Was blown away by it. Blown away.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I like Ceres, too; especially on the bronze 10 centime. image

A Swiss girl I know!

Standing in defense in her 3rd century

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't pick just one, though the ones you mentioned are high on the list. I am rather partial to Helvetia on the Swiss coins. Especially the full seated figure with her arm out.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with LM: the older Federal Swiss obverse (don't have a decent example in hand).

Shiro, I've got that Indo-China 20 centimes (with CIVITAS pedigree too) - shame for the reverse image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    An early incarnation from revolutionary France, about 1793:

And her younger sister from 1799:

Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, comicdebris, that's BRITANNIA, not Liberty! >>

She is Britain's counterpart.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remain an unabashed admirer of the Liberty head portrayed on Haitian coins from 1881 to 1895. See KM 46. Besides being a rather unique depiction, there is something poignant in a Liberty of African origin.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Edited to show picture.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    This "darkside" beauty has a strong resemblance to a liteside model image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."