Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Severo's weekly random coin (42-03)

And another one, a representative of European common currency. The Dutch have resumed the oddish design of their gulden coinage on the euro coins. I for one have mixed feelings about it: on the one hand, I like the originality of the design which definitely attracts attention, but on the other hand, it looks quite ugly, frankly speaking.

Obverse

Reverse

This week's coin

Netherlands 1 euro 2001
KM#: 240
Composition: nickel-brass over nickel over nickel-brass ring, copper-nickel center
Weight: 7.5 g
Privy marks: wine tendril with grapes
Mintage (thousands): 67.900
This type minted: 1999-2003
Edge: partially reeded
Alignment: medal
Diameter: 23.75 mm
Grade (estimate): AU
Krause value: 1.90 (estimate, 75% of the UNC value)
Storage: Optima sheet
Place and time of acquisition: Brought from abroad by some acquaintance, 2002 or 2003
Comments: Coins with this privy mark were minted in 2001 only

You comments are welcome
Severo, a Numismatically Disturbed Individual

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    At least she's better looking then the Belgium King! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    I agree with the Farthing and can add that it looks also better than Luxembourg and German (ugly eaglimageisgustimage 1 eurocoins. Just Dutch people like very much their Queen (I understood it when I spent with them Queen's day in 2000) and it doesn't matter for them how she looks at the coins, they just accept her as she is...image
    By the way, hope that later I'll show here comm. guilden with the Queen and her mother (if I remeber correctly) that represent, for my opinion , nice medalic design.

And the last thing , Severo, I have that coin in UNC cond. and it looks also as a very new one and it seems to me , that it improves a little bit the design.

Thanks for your show , Severo!
    N. N.