Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this Henry VII worth this much?

This is well over Spink price anyone think it's worth it? Text

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I was unable to see the picture, but I tend to think the asking price is too much. Perhaps Lloyd and Aethelred will provide you with their thoughts.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very nice example, though -- well struck up with clear details.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I'm no expert on these but.....

Looks like Spink 2201 to me (not 2199). Books £175 VF say $290 + better grade (GVF) $350 - $400 tops. Very nice though and possibly undergraded. Not $600 though!! unless we're both mistaken by the Spink reference.

L
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's the 2199. I really like the coin but I came up with the same value of about $400 for gVF.
    Anyone think it could go EF?
  • Options
    Python
    Firstly I might have read it wrong but I didn't think the Greyhound was on the 2199.

Secondly Yes, I could imagine it described as "EF or virtually so" but would have to hold the coin.

L
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the pictures...it is an attractive coin. The only way I would consider the coin is if there is a good return policy. I say that because without looking at the coin, and especially with Hammered Coinage, it is difficult to grade those coins that could grade EF by British Standardsfrom a scan or picture. If it is original or at least has the look of originality and the surfaces are decent, well perhaps my original thoughts were alittle but too much of a knee jerk reaction. However, I still think you really have to l ike the coin to pay that kind of money for it. Good luck with your decision and hope it works out.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

There were some Henry VII coins that were worth vastly more in the SBG auction of the Law Collection. Did any of the members of this forum attend this auction?

Rare & Historically Important English Gold Sovereigns of King Henry VII
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me