Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got to love PCGS customer support :(

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
Regular order runs 19 business days, I call customer service on the 18th day and was told because of the St. Louis show add three days. If the order goes another day I'll get comps. I call the next day 19th day, and I'm informed that I have to count 4 days for St. Louis, but they will submit my comp for 4 coins (the fingerprinted ones). Well I get a call today and was told NO COMPS FOR YOU!!! So they add four days for a three day show, and fingerprint my coins and tell me to pound sand on my comps. Yep, that's why it's called customer service!image But I guess when your #1, you can do that to your customers.... In a way I think NUMISED was right Baaaaaaa!

BTW, when I submitted the coins I called and asked how many days to add for the show, I was told Three!
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm opening an NGC account this month.

David
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I got grades yesterday from oct 9th. Regular service.
  • Options
    Not good. I hope your case was the exception and not the rule.
    Can't stay #1 treating customers like that !!!

Skipper
  • Options
    Marty,

I was told by Mike Sherman that he would rather cancel people as customers than give comps for them missing the "Guarantee" by a day or two. My opinion is you are either late or you are not. There is no such thing as the "guarantee", and PCGS should just publically admit that they don't honor it other than pretending they do honor it. I have had comps given to me but less than half the time they have missed.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Remember when USPS had a 2 day guarantee on Prio Mail? They missed it so often they just did away with the guarantee.
  • Options
    Sent 6 coins to NGC and used their early bird service (12 days). Five of the submissions were included in my membership fee of $99 Took exactly 14 days door to door (registered/insured snail mail included!). Grades made me happy also--key date Morgans and early commemoratives.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    It's official. I just joined the guys across the street. I'm anxious to get my "free" submissions to see how they do.

David
  • Options
    I joined the guys across the street too so that I could submit my GSA morgans in the GSA holders. I just sent them in last week and I am anxious to see how long it takes and how they grade.
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    Ya just got to Love PCGS propaganda. I wonder if the Homerun guy will address any of this at his next "open" forum Q&A.
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    Is it just me, or did this thread get deleted on the message board? I cant find it on the "U.S. COIN FORUM."

David
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Marty, I don't know how much business you do with PCGS. Seems to me that you are more interested in getting free grading than having your coins graded. Certainly, I wouldn't complain if I had to wait a couple of days longer to get the coins graded. I WOULD be upset if I was doing loads of business with PCGS and they CONSTANTLY were taking two or three days longer than their "guarantee" AND they were charging me regular fees instead of economy fees. Baring something like that, I'd say you should be happy dealing with the company that provides you the best opportunity to maximize the value of your coins on a grade to grade basis. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I don't have a strong opinion on the missing the guaranty thing by a day or two, but the fingerprint issue is a MAJOR very serious issue that I thought had gone away several months ago.

dragon
  • Options
    Ah the smell of coffee ...... image (by the way it's been awhile since I've said that and I thought things were getting better over there!)

Michael
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    None of what you menton matters much, Steve. What DOES matter is what Dragon pointed out - the inexcusability of PCGS putting big, fat fingerprints on submittors' coins. Cold day in hell before they get to lay a finger on any of my raw gems. I'll stick with NGC for raw submissions, thankyaverymuch. Ridiculous to the extreme.
  • Options
    PCGS offers a gaurentee, and if they don;t make it I expect to honor it! If they say 15 business days, on the 16th day they blew it! If your not going to honor it, why have a gaurentee in the first place!

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    But there was a show so the guarantee is void.
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS offers a gaurentee, and if they don;t make it I expect to honor it! If they say 15 business days, on the 16th day they blew it! If your not going to honor it, why have a gaurentee in the first place!
    >>

My thoughts exactly!

Michael
  • Options
    I find this whole issue rather perplexing.

PCGS foots the bill for this very site, yet they allow posts that skewer them. On the other hand, people get banned for other posts roasting them over the coals.

They seem to not care much about their customers, yet the customers come in droves. So much so that I submit accross the street at times due to absurd delays.

To allow negative posts and yet to treat customers shabbily doesn't jive with me. The two actions seem mutually exclusive. Is this two different departments that don't communicate?

I certainly don't want to get banned and I don't have any real desire to post accross the street either. I hardly ever visit/lurk over there at all.

Either the guarantee needs to be modified or it needs to be upheld. There was a time when General Motors ruled the world, they let quality drop, produced decades of junk and whole generations won't even consider one of their cars. It's very doubtful that they will ever return to the top of the heap again.

Is there a lesson there? Or should I just remain perplexed?

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Marty has a right to be upset.

1) The fingerprint issue....that is inexcusable!
    2) The guarantee that isn't image
    3) Misinformation! If someone at the company tells you 3 days, no one else should tell you 4. Marty, I hope you have names, dates, and times of this information giving, and I hope you send it to HRH or someone at PCGS that is in charge. They should all have a chart to go by for shows/delays and they should all sing the same tune.

If you have a guarantee, live with it. If you don't live with it, cancel it for everyone. Hearing about all this guarantee arguments does not engender me to to submitting coins to PCGS (aside from my 4 freebies that are still waiting).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I enjoy both Coke and Pepsi. Some restaraunts carry Coke others carry Pepsi. I like both. I did notice you have a PCGS and an NGC logo. hmmmm, Time to give Pepsi a shot. You'll like it, I drink both.
  • Options

<< <i>I did notice you have a PCGS and an NGC logo >>

Yep, I do send to both! There are times I am very happy with both services, but I have to say CS is far better on the other side of the street. For an example the 89-CC that PCGS bagged in St. Louis. The customer asked if I could send it to NCS and then to NGC. He said to put the value of the coin at $15K (that's how the NCS cost if figured). Two days ago I get a call from CS at NCS saying they think I put the value of the coin too high! They feel the value should be at $10K, since the cost of the service is figured on the value of the coin, NCS just lost money. Now that is customer service, when the service provider goes the extra mile for the customer.

I'm not bagging on PCGS customer service, there are depts there who have been super (I have a bulk order in was able to add too it a month later). But PCGS should really post a notice on what shows they will be at and how long to add to the gaurentee for each show.

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Marty, don't you submit thousands of coins to PCGS in a years time? What's four freebies to them to pay off on the guarrentee- sounds kind of stupid of them to upset a customer like you? mike image
  • Options
    I still don't understand the fingerprint comments. At the Baltimore ANA,
    HRH addressed that issue, and it made sense. Basically, the question is
    when did the fingerprint get put on the coin? How do you prove that the
    coin didn't get fingerprinted before you bought it raw and it was delayed
    in reacting? How does PCGS know that you didn't accidentally mark it
    yourself when submitting it? I can understand their position on that issue.

As far as the "guarantee" goes, I personnally haven't had any problems. I
    agree that whatever guarantee policy they use should be consistant. Maybe
    they should list exactly what guarantee delays are in effect for each show on
    the submission center page to remove the ambiguity.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    robgetty

he submitted it in the mint cello.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file