Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any Bust Half Experts out there?

VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
I picked-up a nice honest, natural VF 1807 Bust Half at an auction. I know little about them. I just liked its condition, natural look and price. The 2x2 says, "Small Stars." I know that there are large and small star varieties but how do I tell the difference? Breen isn't much help. Thanks.
"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post some pics, and half a dozen guys on here will crack our Overton's and ID it for ya.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    and while you're photographing it, here's an 1807 O-104 in Fine++:

thanks for the excuse to post an old coin!

• Options
    Sorry, there won't be any pics. I'm moving offices and all of my stuff isn't hooked-up yet. I will tell you that its a Capped Bust; not a Draped Bust. I know that 1807 was a transition year.
  • Options
    I just visited Heritage's Auction Archives and looked at some images. The Large Stars variety shows up about 12-15 times more frequently than the Small Stars. The images helped to show what is mentioned in Breen: The stars are further from the border. There's also a difference in the thickness of the stars points and where they are pointing.

I think that the 2x2 was right. This is the Small Stars variety. I'm also encouraged by the grading that I saw. I may have been a little conservative as mine is at least a VF30 and better than some of the XF's I saw.
  • Options
    The small star variety features stars that are 2.75 mm in length and the stars are distant from the milling. All other varieties feature 3.00 mm stars that are fairly close to the milling.
  • Options
    oh, in that case, you probably have the O-113, with the small stars (2.75 vs 3.0 mm) that are distant from the milling. The date is also small and far from the milling, the left base of the 1 is missing.
    The 50 and C. will be relatively far apart, and the 5 will be smallish, slender, and lean toward the 0.
    There will be no traces of a 2 under the 5 in the denomination, and the arrowheads will be large and not touching each other.

• Options
    I'm an expert on busts, is that close enough? image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    Dang! You guys really know your stuff! What Baley has described is exactly what I see on my coin. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file