Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

national wildlife medals

what about the premiums on these medals already will they go down, and why is the salmon medal to the roof

Comments

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    IF PT Barnum were alive, he would explain it to you.

get the hint?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

People is nuts
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I take it that yall do not like them .
  • Options
    These are the first silver medals minted by the US Mint. They are using a new technique that involves lasers and they are only minting 25,000 of them.
    When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out eBay listings for these items. There is a selling frenzy developing as people who bought them try to cash out while the prices are high.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I never got my Mint order yet. image

What I like about them is that they are the first laser etched coins.

But still, people is nuts.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    There is a selling frenzy developing as people who bought them try to cash out while the prices are high.

Try? They are. But it takes two to tango. The "frenzy" belongs entirely to the buyers.

• Options

<< <i>There is a selling frenzy developing as people who bought them try to cash out while the prices are high.

Try? They are. But it takes two to tango. The "frenzy" belongs entirely to the buyers. >>

I disagree. There is a selling frenzy going on because many of these were bought on speculation by very knowledgeable coin collectors/dealers who are well aware of what happens to prices when "promoted" items fall out of favor. These are medals and are not likely to "have legs" in the numismatic market. Many buyers now want these because the have become caught up in the hype. The sellers know this and are trying to unload before common sense sets in.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what 291fifth and WWW said in CAPITOL letters.

al h.image
  • Options
    Buying frenzy. Selling frenzy. Hype. Whatever. Truthfully, considering the margins, wouldn't you like to be a seller of these right now?
  • Options
    SELLER NOTHING I d like to be a buyer
  • Options
    all thing considered, i'd much prefer being a seller. while they may go up slightly in the short term, i have a hard time envisioning them rising much in the long term. the Buffalo dollars are still riding the tide, so i could be wrong. perhaps the worst that could happen with these is the issuance of more medals.

humorously, i wonder how many being offered were boutgh on eBay soon after they appeared and are now being flipped for the second time!!!!

al h.image
  • Options
    I was also wondering if PCGS will be grading these or do they not grade medals a newbie question I know
  • Options
    Actually, I noted that several of those E-bay auctions are "pre-delivery" auctions. In other words, the seller says he does not have the actual medals, but he has a "confirmed order" with the Mint. And then the seller adds the caveat that if the Mint cancels of reduces the "confiirmed" order then seller will refund the money in a timely manner.

And people still bid for prices at 2x the Mint price...bizarre...
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options

<< <i>Buying frenzy. Selling frenzy. Hype. Whatever. Truthfully, considering the margins, wouldn't you like to be a seller of these right now? >>

I sure would!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    hey fifth

open your PM function so we can talk. i'd like to make arrangements to possibly meet up with you later in November at the Michigan show.

al h.image
  • Options
    Well, hopefully I should be getting my Salmon medal soon.

Just logged into the mint's web site and checked on my order status. They have updated it from being backordered to "In stock and reserved." Guess they just haven't gotten around to shipping it out yet.

Unfortunately, my First Flight commems still show that they are backordered.
  • Options

<< <i>I was also wondering if PCGS will be grading these or do they not grade medals a newbie question I know >>

Yes, I have seen one Eagle Medal graded by PCGS (1) MS 67.image
    DirtroadRider
  • Options

<< <i>hey fifth

open your PM function so we can talk. i'd like to make arrangements to possibly meet up with you later in November at the Michigan show.

al h.image >>

It's now open. I'd like to meet you at the MSNS show!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>These are the first silver medals minted by the US Mint. They are using a new technique that involves lasers and they are only minting 25,000 of them. >>

What makes you think these are the first silver medals the mint has stuck? And the laser technique may be new to the mint but private industry has used it for years. And 25,000 is low for a coin but it is a fairly large mintage for a government medal. I think they will hold some value simply because they are attractive but I don't think they have a lot of potential.
  • Options
    I received my orders for my Salom Medal. It has a very nice mirror proof image. .image

Highest amount paid For a Salmon Medal
    DirtroadRider
  • Options
    What makes you think these are the first silver medals the mint has stuck? I guess for the hair splitters out there, the operative word is stuck or minted VS offered by the US Mint. It's all part of the hype according to 291fifth and I would have to agree. I maintain that those slamming these medals are in part, and then only ever so slightly, piqued that they did not buy some for resale on the secondary market. Piss and vinegar. Long-term predictions not withstanding, they miscalculated the short-term demand for these medals. I bought a few and plan to sell them ASAP as I happen agree with the long-term predictions being forecasted by our esteemed forum members. Of course, if I knew were I was going to die, I wouldn't go near the spot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file