Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Economy grades are coming MUCH sooner than expected

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone!

The horrible turnaround times on Economy submissions at PCGS may finally be starting to return to normal:

I received a call Oct. 24 from a Customer Service person at PCGS about one of the coins on my Economy crossover submission I dropped off October 6. He said the coins have been graded (!!!!) but not finalized yet, and five of the six will cross!

I sent them 6 Morgan varieties in a range of grades from VG8 to XF45... 2 NGC and 4 ANACS. I thought 5 of the coins were slightly overgraded, and filled out the "minimum grade" column on the invoice accordingly. The one I felt was correctly graded (1895-S VG8-NGC) did not cross; they wanted to call it a Good-6.

While I'm thrilled that my crossovers are getting such quick attention, I'm still hoping my Economy submission of six raw gradings sent in September 9 will be done before Christmas. But maybe... just maybe... turnaround times are starting to improve.

-- Dennis
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "He said the coins have been graded (!!!!) but not finalized yet, and five of the six will cross!"

Unless the customer service rep was the finalizer, I suspect he/she had no business telling you what was going to happen before a final grader at PCGS reviewed your coins as part of the grading process. I certainly hope it works out for you as you expect, however. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin:

I'm certain he wasn't the finalizer... and I agree that he shouldn't have been giving me that information. But I'm glad and appreciative that he did.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    This raises some interesting questions. The decision about whether something will cross or not must be made before the coin is removed from the holder. I had assumed the process went something like:

1) Coin is viewed in the holder and the graders decide whether the coin will cross at the minimum grade specified or not.

2) If it doesn't cross, end of processing. Send it back.

3) If it crosses, the coin is cracked out of the holder and then re-examined as in the regular grading process. This allows the graders to get a better look at the coin and therefore assign a more accurate grade. This step would include a "finalizer".

Does anyone know if this is roughly correct? If so, is there a "finalizer" after step 1 and step 3 or just step 3? Other thoughts on the process?

Regardless of the number of "finalizers", in this scenario, someone in Customer Service could know which coins had crossed, without the actual grades having been finalized.
  • Options
    I think it may have something to do with what coins are sent as well. I just got a large order of Silver Eagles back from PCGS and it only took about 27 business days! Thats a lot sooner than the predicted Economy time on the PCGS site.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got a large order of Silver Eagles back from PCGS and it only took about 27 business days! >>

That's not an economy submission, it's a modern submission. That's about what the turnaround time has been.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a situation happen to me across the street where I called in about 4 coins I sent in. I was
    told that one of my dimes was graded MS68FT. When I received them it wasn't there. I called
    back and was told the finalizer did not agree and down graded it. Ahhhhhh was I pi$$ed. Get
    this I was even given the cirt number and I entered it into my Registry set and it showed up
    as an MS68FT. Its still there but if you check the pops for that date its shows 0. My submission
    was in the final stage for 5 days.

Onlyroosies