Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Murcury dimes

I have bought a few Mercury dimes in the past and really like em. My problem is grading. I can't really tell if some have slight wear or are just poorly struck. How do you detect wear?

Thanks, mikeimage
Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields

Comments

• Options
    The high points of wear are the central bands on the reverse and smack in the middle of the coin on the obverse. I have looked at many thousands of examples and the best advise I can give you is to look at as many coins as you can. Look at certified examples by PCGS and NGC in particular and don't be afraid to look at them from dealers cases at shows. I would also advise you to be patient.
    Other than the high points of wear, grading is an art/science that takes many years to perfect and even then its a continuing learning experience. Luster , strike , and eye appeal are also key and you will find that it varies from date/mm to date/mm.
    The best references on the series are.

1. The complete guide to Mercury dimes by David Lange (senior grader at NGC)
    2. Mercury Dimes: An indepth study., by Dean Howe.

I have both and so does the ANA library, you can borrow it from them or purchase from Brooklyn Galleries, a Coin World advertiser.

Have fun and pm me anytime.
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    wingedliberty - Thanks for your response and the references. Mercury dimes are one of my favorites but very hard for me to grade. I'll see if Amazon has those books.

Thanks again, mike
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file