Home U.S. Coin Forum

FACTORY(MINT) BLAST WHITE LUSTER CHALLENGE!

Lets see who can come up with the oldest U.S. coin that looks like the day it was made! Im talking ORIGINAL BLAST WHITE DRIPPING WITH LUSTER! Everyone is entitled to place a value on any coin they see, pretend that money is no object! We see a lot of Toned Coin Threads, its time to see the true WHITESIDE OF LITESIDE!
You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!

Comments

• Boy, It sure goes to show whats really rare! I would put up a picture but I dont think I have anything old enough to compete! Im going to wait before I embarass myself.
  • Hey keets, put your coin here, thats probably the closest Im going to come to competing! I will have to see what I have, most of my lustrous coins are Canadian. Now is when I wish I had taken pictures!
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, at least I replied to your thread.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Its got the shine! If you can just get rid of that color somehow.

<< <i>Its got the shine! If you can just get rid of that color somehow >>

Thanks, I heard NCS does a great job on these type. Off it goes Tuesday. I'll let you know and post pics of the "Shine" after it's done.image
  • Now that would be something to see!
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Here's one of my "blast white" coins:

• Thats not PVC is it? Nice coin though!
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    How about this Stone Mountain??

Or this one?

• I got one of thoseimageimage
  • Kinda bright!
    Thats not PVC is it?

Only if this is a picture of you:

WWW.... LMAOimage
  • This 50 has plenty of Originality!imageimage
  • I only have a scanner but this coin fits.
  • Really nice considering its a 123 years old! Whats the problem, the reverse, looks undergraded? I wouldnt mind owning it when your ready to sell!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Here's blast-white, original, and 123 years old:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

Tom
    Tom

• Tom -- Now that's an amazing coin! Just Beautiful!

Michael

• << <i>Really nice considering its a 123 years old! Whats the problem, the reverse, looks undergraded? I wouldnt mind owning it when your ready to sell! >>

I was tired and going to bed.I edited it in for you. I plan on keeping this for a long time.
  • Tom has to be in the lead with that one!
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All right, all right, I'll come thru with the real winner.

The ONLY blast white coin I own, but I had to buy it....

Wow! Now that's a very nice Seated quarter John. I think that one just bumped off Tom's Seated half. Unless we care to make a distinction between proofs and mint state examples.
    Thanks Bill,

If I only had a nikkon coolpix 5000 to take a better picture of it......image

John
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Tom is still in the lead. So far, it is the most "original" white coin with terrific eye appeal.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom: That's a gorgeous Seated Liberty Half. Out of curiosity what is the grade of the coin? From the photo it appears to be a certified slabbed coin. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
    I need to get a better camera. I thought you guys said oldest blast white.!!

I have to admit, the half looks better given the pics provided.
  • It's not my coin, but I tried to make it mine. Anaconda sold it before my day came. . .
  • coinlieutenant, Not just the oldest, it must lhave the LUSTER of day one, or close to it!

Man, Im seeing some nice coins here! I would have to put Toms Seated Half in first so far. Anyone want to tell Tom how much they would give him for it if they had the money of a Bill Gates?

Keep those coins coming, theres always second place if you dont feel you can bump Tom. We will have a vote at the end of the week!
  • This really makes me feel like Ive gone back in time, to see these old coins as they were back then! AWESOME!
  • Ive decided that we need to have two catagorys, Proof and Unc! OK, who is the other first place holder?
    yeah,

My proof wont have much luck against the Half if it is luster you're looking for.

Mirrors yes, luster, no...

John
    Tom,

What is the grade on that half? From the scan only, I would call it a 64+/65-. Am I anywhere close. Pls excuse my ineptitude if it is a 67 or something...

John
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I ain't got it yet, but here's the pic.

On-the-way-white-coin

Do it count if it ain't in the box yet?

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original thread was looking for blast white original coins. As talked about in older threads these are almost non-existant now except for Morgans that came from bags or hoards like the 1880s and 1881s or GSA's for example. Finding anything before 1878 with ORIGINAL skin and blast white (or nearly so) is nearly impossible.
    Dipped once doesn't really quite make it. It's only 100% original once. Over 99% of the 19th century blast white type coins currently around have been dipped at least once. Some multiple times.
    "Blast" white almost always means dipped if you are talking about anything else in the 19th century but Morgans. Now this doesn't mean they are nice or undesireable, just not original skinned.

I only own one such silver coin from the 1860's and it is certainly not blast white but about 90% white with the very edge of the rim and reeding nearly jet black, possibly from storage in an album of some sort. It hasn't changed color in 28+ years. Some of the mini-hoards of 1857-58, 1877, and 1879 seated quarters/halves have come essentially white from protected storage over the years. But even many or most of those have since received some type of toning once they were fully re-exposed to the air again. Original and blast white for 19th century coins is almost an oxymoron. They are very rare animals.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    I didnt know that it was original white.

If that is the case, you probably have to take my quarter out of the running. It might have been dipped but it is not washed out as some proofs can become.

John
  • Nice coin Draco, Im just not too familiar with Capped Busts, Im curious to see what others think about its luster, sure looks good for an 1811!
  • It doesnt matter if its dipped if it doesnt look dipped(washed out)! We have to take the cards were dealt here!
  • topstuf, when will you have the coin? I think we need to see these coins closer up!
  • Hopefully Adrian will see this thread and answer questions about the 1810/11 bust half. Has this coin always looked this way? Not probable, but possible.
  • Come on now, we need more entries!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Not the oldest one I have, or only one, but still suitable.

imageimage
  • I am sure my icon coin was "helped" but it is white!

• Anyone want to set up a voting poll, one for PR and one for MS?
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does raw work?
    Don't know what this will grade but it is white in real life. image
    Pics were took in artificial light so may not be that great, we'll see when they go up.

imageimage
    Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file