Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ever wonder how many "celebrity" collectors really are?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
Every now and then we hear a celebrity who is supposedly a coin collector. I've often wondered if these celebrities really are collectors or if they are just lending their name to sales efforts by large dealers. Such endorsements are common in the celebrity world and I see no reason why they shouldn't happen in the coin field.

Anyone know if any celebrities really were true, knowledgeable collectors? Has anyone ever seen them attending shows and actually doing any buying or selling on their own?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know another dealer who was summoned to provide coins for a very famous comedian.

Highest paid and still in syndication, probably forever.

And...........when said dealer told the "front men" that he could not guarantee 10% per annum appreciation, he was politely dismissed.

.................................................................................

I think Adolph Menjou was a real collector
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I'm getting this years state quarters in the new Air Jordan slabs!!! image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Not really, unless they are buying a coin for me. Although when I hear a story of a famous person I like (for whatever reason) collecting coins, I find it amusing.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know another dealer who was summoned to provide coins for a very famous comedian.

And...........when said dealer told the "front men" that he could not guarantee 10% per annum appreciation, he was politely dismissed.

.................................................................................

I think Adolph Menjou was a real collector >>

No one can promise a 10% per annum appreciation on coins. I am curious to know who the comedian was. The only one that comes to mind whose show should be in syndication forever would be Jackie Gleason ("The Honeymooners"). I cannot think of any other show, other than "I Love Lucy" that would be in syndication forever. I do not think Lucille Ball was a coin collector. Is that correct?

Richard.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know another dealer who was summoned to provide coins for a very famous comedian.

Hmmm! Sounds like this comedian was an investor/speculator and not a real collector.

Has anyone ever actually seen a celebrity out on his own collecting coins? No front men allowed.

While he probably doesn't qualify as a celebrity, US Senator from Michigan Carl Levin is a true stamp collector. I have seen him at shows, including small local ones, many times.

All glory is fleeting.

• << <i>only one that comes to mind whose show should be in syndication forever would be Jackie Gleason >>

Seinfeld...
  • Connor Treinier: Commander Trip on Star Trek -Enterprise-.
    Carl Malone: Utah Jazz.
    Penny Marshall: I am not sure whether she is at all serious about the hobby. , but she has been sighted at major shows.

Buddy Epsen: Big time.
    Wayne Gretzsky: Big time.
    Andre Dawson: Big time.
    James Earl Jones: "Luke, you are my dealer!!!" LOL.

I can't think of any others, but I am sure there are some more.
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Thanks Brian, that was very helpful.

That would be so neat seeing Gretzsky at a major show.
    Maybe I could have him sign a slab. image

-KHayse
  • Gretzky sold an Amazonian pattern set graded by NGC about 9 years ago. He also collects patterns.
    I think the Amazonian set was around a $1M or so. I guess with his money, its like one of us buying a sample slab.
  • Please dont reveal my true identity!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Add former NFL Houston Oiler linebacker Gregg Bingham.

I think there are more collectors of notoriety than we think, but they have people assemble sets for them to remain anonymous. Can you blame them?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    i've got an 88 Morg that I call my "Radar" dollar. It came from the Gary Burghoff Collection in January of 1980, sold by Superior Galleries.
    He didn't have much taste because it's an ugly brown POS.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gretzky sold an Amazonian pattern set graded by NGC about 9 years ago.

Not true. I believe that he did BUY a set of 1873 silver dollar patterns about 14 years ago. If I'm not mistaken, the Amazonian set that you refer to was in that same auction.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Andy:
    I thought that he upgraded his set into a higher Amazonian set?

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that he upgraded his set into a higher Amazonian set?

Ed Trompeter bought the unique Amazonian set in that 1989 (?) Superior auction. It remained in his collection until purchased by Heritage something like 6 years ago. To the best of my knowledge, they did not sell it to Gretzky.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Thanks for the clarification Andy. These are wonderful coins. I hope who ever is the custodian now and future owners enjoy this great set.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked into buying Waynes Trade Dollar Pattern set. Legend met with Waynes reps. I can confirm Wayne Gretzky is NOT a "coin collector".

At the time he got involved because of Bruce McNall (the owner of the Kings and co-owner of Superior at the time). He bought a total of 2-3 items (one of them a Candian rarity). It probably was more publicity for McNall than anything else. He still owns the Pattern set, can't say about the other coins.

I can also state, that at the Salt Lake City Mid Winter ANA Show, I met Carl Malone. He does NOT collect coins. He was there because Dwight Manley is his agent and wanted to show him what he does.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file