Home U.S. Coin Forum

Testing my new digital camera - macro shot

sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
Baby steps. I finally have a chance to play with it and to shoot a couple of test pics. I love this camera for it's macro capabilities. and I have not opened the manual yet image

Test shot od PCGS PF63 ?!?!?!?!? half dime. ?!?!?!?!? because of the date - take a look

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice repunched date. What camera? Beautiful pics of a small subject.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    It's Nikon Coolpix
    My only problem right now is the light. I shot some more pictures. I'm testing the water with and without direct light. So far i like what I see with copper
    copper cent with light
    copper cent without direct light source

But I also like what I see with the proofs. This is a shot of PCGS PF68 quarter

PCGS 1962 PF68 quarter
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. So big, I think I can see individual atoms image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful detail in those pics. Get the lighting right and you will have great pictures. You might want to downsample the pics a bit for routine posting. I like the big ones for showing what the camera can do. I need a digicam with a good macro ability.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • What is the megapixel on that coolpix?

Lighting is flourescent? Tungsten?
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭
    Which model of the Coolpix is that? Really nice close ups. Also, ask Airplanenut what he does for lighting. He takes some great shots and has done a lot of experimenting with lighting.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, which model? I just got a Coolpix 5700 and can't wait to try it out.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which coolpix is that model, I have been holding out buying a new camera, but have decided on Nikon Coolpix because the lens is so much better.

I am waiting about two weeks to actually purchase it. I been waiting for work to pay for mine, since I can use it there as well. Had to wait till quarter end, so I could get it figured into this quarter's budget!
  • jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    I have a coolpix 2500 and used it to take these. I'm not very good yeah but I'm learningimageimage

J'har
  • jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    I wanted to add this closeup.

Linkage Warning large file
    J'har
  • You might want to work on the focus a little bit, I took these pics with a nikon 4500.

• sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for responses. The camera is Coolpix 995 (I bought it refurbished, I do not think they make them anymore). I do not have any special light source (the source used here was my 40W desk lamp!!!!). I had this camera for 2 months and today was the first day I had a chance to put my hand on it. I guess I have to go back and read the manual now and to think about the light source for the future.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APN is on the scene! image

For lighting I have two 75W lamps, and a 60W lamp that doesn't really move... I just play with the angles until I get them right- sometimes Reveal lights are good, sometimes soft white light- the hard thing is getting good color while not getting a reflection in a slab- for that either get the perfect angle, or I made a clouded dome from a plastic salad bowl for $4.

The 995 isn't made anymore- it's successor, the 4500, which many here use, was just discontinued.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best effort have been with my Nikon 950 with OTT lamps. I use the "swirl" type...you'll know what I mean if you look them up on the web.

See my website...linked below...I've just finish "restructuring" it. image

jom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file