Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slightly entertaining story.

I was surfing eBay a couple of days ago and thought I’d look at rolls of Kennedy halves because there has been a lot of talk about them recently.

Well, I stumbled upon a certain auction and noticed it was only a half roll. Hmm, just 10 coins. Maybe a good idea, I only need to spend half the money. Well I looked at the pictures and thought “sure looks like more than ten coins to me”. I thought it was strange that the seller would show more coins then were for sale.

After scratching my head for a few minutes, it finally dawned on me.

Duh! image

Here’s the auction. Click

Thadd...
Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is amusing.

If you had not described it as a "half roll", I would have read it correctly the first time as "Kennedy half" roll.

However, having read your description, my first read was "Kennedy BU" half-roll.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Well, the same seller is offering a roll of Mercury dimes for sale. He lists it as 40 dimes........image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    So, how many coins would be in a Washington quarter roll? 40 or 10?
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Here's what I understand is the number of coins per roll:

small cents 50
    Trimes 50
    Half Dimes 50
    Nickels 40
    Dimes 50
    Half Dollars 20
    Dollars 20

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Punctuation can sure come in handy at times!image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options

<< <i>That is amusing.

If you had not described it as a "half roll", I would have read it correctly the first time as "Kennedy half" roll.

However, having read your description, my first read was "Kennedy BU" half-roll. >>

I actually tried to tell this story so readers would see it the way I saw it. I guess it woked. image
    Thadd...
    Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    That took me about 5 minutes to figure out. I guess that my mom was right: I am as dumb as I look.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I half to admit (image), I couldn’t figure it out at first.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    WardhainesWardhaines Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I did the same thing when first looking for a franklin set in an album. I thought half set of Franklins? What year do they consider the start of the 2nd half. I was confusing short set and half set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file