Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need help - 65 DDR SMS Jeff - seen before?

DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
I found a nice ddr SMS Jeff today that I haven't seen listed. I can't seem to find any reference to it. Any thoughts? Sorry for the large pics. The only doubling on the coin is in the center of the United States Of America on the reverse.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments

• seems like strike doubling to me but I was never an expert at advanced mint errors.
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Don

just a thought. how is the overall detail on the reverse of the coin? from the scans, the steps look weak and the detail in the building seems soft.perhaps it's nothing more than LDS that sowed up first in that particular area of the strike.

al h.image
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, I'd be more apt to suspect MD, but I sure don't see the shelf or the damage to the letters, and it only affects that one legend. Here's another pic with the unsharpen filter.

Edited to add - yeah, it is a mushy strike, and looks like a late state coin.

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    After doing more looking, the M in Monticello also has a strong spread. Maybe just MDD, but it doesn't seem so to me, so It's off to CONECA and post the result.

Don
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    No matter what it is, Don, it is a great coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file