Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone like toning THIS dark?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm getting some ..... ideas......!!!!

Dippity doo, dippity dee.

And some other.........more.........creative..........ideas.

But can still reconsider.

heh

The DARK sides

Edited to explain that the REAL dark bottoms are camera reflection.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark, yeah, but not hideously so.

I don't know if I'd dip it.

If the toning were blotchy, mottled, or uneven, maybe. But it looks like a decent "original" coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    If you don't like it i'll take it off your handsimage
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    If the toning is smooth, not giving the appearance of corrosion, I like it just the way it is.

Russ, NCNE
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Is it a Proof Morgan?
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    love em dark, like my.........other coins
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, it is ugly.imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

• << <i>Sorry, it is ugly.imageimage >>

i wouldnt say its UGLY i just think that it propably wouldnt come out well if toned...nice coin otherwise tho
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I prefer them not to be that dark, but it still looks like a nice piece.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
  • I actually really like it. I agree with some of the others that I dislike mottled toning. Nice even dark toning is just fine. IMHO.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I'll leave it alone. Not mottled. Pic is fairly accurate although not quite as much red as is blended in the actual coin. Not a proof. 81S. Came that way in a group I bought.
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate dark toning...that's why I have this,image
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    I would leave it be - SO many 1881-S's are as brilliant as the day they were made - stripping the tone off of yours isn't going to reveal anything but a washed-out appearance. The way it is now, however, it's a conversation piece in being so different than most 81-S's, and should certainly appeal to those who like their coins to have original "crust."

If the coin were splotchy/pitty looking, I would perhaps agree with a dip - if I felt it wouldn't look any worse. But I wouldn't expect miracles, either.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file