Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need guidance on 1909s-vdb's

image Am in a quandry! Monday evening, found my second 1909-s vdb. (sound of cheering in background)
Which one would you hang on to and why? Apologize for the inadequate scans; but it is the best I can do.
Heads
Tails

Both are dug coins; vdb is weak on the worn one and strong on the corroded one with the green spots.
I don't grade "em:
I just find 'em.

Comments

• I would keep the right one because it looks in better condition. And then I would give the other one to me so that I can buy a lot of coins to help me in collecting since Im so young and new at it and all.
    ---Skylar

send me something nice image
    i love surprises (nice ones like coins or chick-fil-a gift certificates)

"People my hate you while you are alive, but they will love you when you're dead."

---I said that actually
  • The one on the right ,because the one on the left has very I repeat very unatractive green spots
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I don't see the VDB on the coin on the right - is it real?

Did you find both of these with a metal detector?
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I like the green-spotted one.
    Send it to me. I,ll take it. image
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    The one on the left is the better coin, that is if you can get the crud off cleanly.

Dipping time...image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Do you think that the one on the left would be the better coin after a trip to NCS?
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with son of snake, I see no VDB on the one on the right. If indeed there is a VDB on that one, it's the keeper, it looks much nicer.

BTW, where the he11 are you digging up 1909s cents from anyway? I need to change my collecting habits.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    take the 1 w/ 2 heads.

K S
  • Keep both of them...One's a 1909 s VDB and the other is a 1909 S...

• This is absurd....theres no way you could have found two 1909 s vdbs. The chances of finding one are so rediculously slim, but to find two is flat out impossible.
    --==**Mike**==--
    -I Love all U.S. coin series'
    Especially Large Cents
  • my cousins friend dug 3 in one hole one time all three in VG condition
  • oh yeah keep the second one
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is absurd....theres no way you could have found two 1909 s vdbs. The chances of finding one are so rediculously slim, but to find two is flat out impossible. >>

Not as absurd as you might think, CW, and most certainly not impossible. As a detectorist myself, I can vouch for that. Although I certainly haven't found any S-VDB's, it's quite conceivable, if someone were to look in the right place. I'm on the wrong coast for that, though.

I would send both to NCS for conservation and then decide. Personally, I'm not so sure I'd sell either one. I never sell my detector-found coins, though I have sold some of the relics I've dug.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I suppose its possible.....but still....where in the world would you find somethin like that
    --==**Mike**==--
    Especially Large Cents
    On the West Coast, almost certainly.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • any1 place that people hanged out around in the early 1900's it is very possible and has very many possibilities

• << <i>I agree with son of snake, I see no VDB on the one on the right. If indeed there is a VDB on that one, it's the keeper, it looks much nicer.

BTW, where the he11 are you digging up 1909s cents from anyway? I need to change my collecting habits. >>

Even though you can't see it from a picture dosen't meen its not there.One time I bought a 1909 cent from a store and I could just barley make out V.D.B. on the reverse.
    About once ever year or two, somebody digs up a Chain cent (usually in the Northeast), and those are roughly 100 times scarcer than the S-VDB, so there you have it. There were almost a half a million 1909-S VDB cents produced. That's no small number. Lots were lost, and they were just a "pennies" to the person who lost them, at the time.

• I live in the midwest(Wisconsin) and I dont think theres much of anything to find here

Plus, there arent many public areas for me to go, and people arent too happy when someone is digging up their property
    --==**Mike**==--
    Especially Large Cents
  • dont be too sure theres not too much to find in Wisconson I remember reading in a article(cant rememeber name of magazine) about a man that found a mini hoard(10 pieces)of gold coinage ranging for the mid late 1800's to the early 1900's
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't some guy find several(5?) 1860-O dimes with a metal detector? And they all got graded between XF and AU?
    Collecting since 1976.
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    This is no B.S.
    About 10 years ago, a friend of mine got a detector for his birthday. His wife gave it to him. I was at his birthday party.
    The first coin he found, in his own backyard, less than an hour after he opened the box, was an 1877 Indian Cent.
    It has to be the ugliest '77 in existence, but the date is as bold as can be.
    Unbelievable.

<< <i>I live in the midwest(Wisconsin) and I dont think theres much of anything to find here >>

Time for another reality check! image

Here's a 3-Leg that came from Wisconsin... Read what else was found at the same site.

There are good coins to be found in all 50 states. There are not many areas where there aren't at least Seated coins in the ground somewhere.

• Thanks for the input. The brown does have a visible V.D.B.; stands out if you tilt the coin a bit; doesn't show up well looking head on. Both were found in what was Queen City of the eastern Oregon gold fields. I've been detecting for more than 25 years and have had more than my share of good fortune. Two 1901-s dimes; a 1896-s quarter; a really beat up 1892-o half; two 1908-s Indian heads; numerous tokens; and this really abused double eagle.
    Am riding a lucky streak right now; just dug up an AG 1863-s seated half and a 1909-vdb cent. Battered eagles
    I don't grade "em:
    I just find 'em.
  • Finally.....a thread that I have an answer to. Sell both of them....and take the proceeds from those two sales.....and buy a decent 09-S VDB. Yeah.....that's what I would do. Play the upgrade game as often as possible. Good luck. (The 2nd coin is nicer than the first one)
    Marc
  • Well
    I say the one on the right is a cast counterfit, If in fact you do see the VDB On the rev.
    But Really hard to tell with out looking under a scope,
    Good luck
    And If one does turn out to be counterfit, Please let me know I would like to take pics of it or
    Buy it
    Wowee.

I've never dug a gold coin. A few rings, yes, but not a coin. Yet.

One site here on the island yielded a nice 1899 $10 for someone else. I found my first 1700's coins there (1776 and 1787 half reales). I just sold an EF-ish 1899-S $20 that somebody dug just north of here.

Sold my buddy's find recently, too.

Here's one I'll keep. A personal find of mine. It's 5.83 times rarer than a 1909-S VDB cent, wasn't really intended for circulation, and it's a big piece of silver (which is always harder to find, since big silver was harder to lose- people picked 'em back up off the ground). Nevertheless, I found it, and a fellow forum member was with me when I did (thanks to BlueCole, who was sharing one of his sites with me!)

• lordmarcovan - nice coins. Have a bad case of East Coast envy. This part of the world wasn't settled until the last half of the 20th century - not much opportunity to find colonial and early American coinage. Oh well, will just have to make do with those pesty "s" mintmark coins.

Coin shooting is a hoot; wonder how many collectable coins have been rescued by metal detectors?image
    I don't grade "em:
    I just find 'em.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file