Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

According to this guy, I'm a "coin doctor"

Some of you may remember me mentioning a guy who didn't want to pay shipping
on a coin. Here is the auction:

1884-O Morgan

Today, he left this negative:

Complaint : Took the coin to a PCGS dealer, he told me the coin was professionally doctored

I usually don't like to air out "dirty laundry" but since I have sold a lot of coins to board members,
I feel it is important to explain the situation.

This coin came out of the original bag of 1884-O Morgans. It was doctored in no way, there would
be no sense in it for such a common coin. There was some haze on the obverse, and this was
clearly noted in the auction.

This guy says he took the coin to a dealer. It has been my experience when you take a coin to
a dealer and tell him you bought the coin on eBay, automatically it becomes cleaned, AU,
doctored, etc.

This coin sold for $24.77, and I have a no questions asked return policy. The only correspondence
I received from the bidder after I shipped the coin was "I got the coin please post feedback".

After this, I am glad I decided to send the rest of the 84-O Morgans in to get slabbed. Selling raw
coins has become a real headache, and I am no longer going to sell them. Either they get graded,
or returned to the wholesaler.

Needless to say, my feedback policy is going to be changed accordingly. This was a cheap shot.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have replied with a link to an explination... eventually, the neg goes BYEBYE
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    That guy seems like a real jerk! That coin looks totally original. I would not let that bidder get off too easy. Put his sorry a$$ on your web site.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    $24 coin??? The guy is a clown...did you neg him in return?
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    The problem in doing that Jeremy is that eBay will NARU you if you do it enough. I figured my response was enough. Come on, doctoring a MS63 84-O Morgan? This guy's real problem was I held him to paying the S&H, he figured the coin bid high enough for me to "waive" the shipping.
  • Options
    No, I didn't neg him because I had already left him a positive. He emailed me and told me "I got the coin please post feedback". I took that to mean everything was OK, so I posted feedback. I did follow up on it though, warning other sellers that he asks for feedback then slams you with a negative.
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Eric:
    This hunterguy is an obvious moron and the negative feedback is unjustified. The coin is very original with stong evidence of cartwheel lustre throughout. It is a accurately graded as a 63 and the
    price he paid was fair. Judging from the 7 feedbacks that he has, this guy is an obvious novice and the
    so called PCGS dealer that he supposedly took it to is probably a flea market widow mite. These jokers
    crack me up.

Brian.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Your response and the fact that the idiot is clearly a newb will take care of it. Everybody who reads it will know that you just happen to sell a coin right after they let the residents of the short bus school out for a field trip.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I hate to say this, but you have to wonder......shat was the second sentence the dealer said...."I will buy it for 1.25x melt to help cut your losses"

I have local pcgs dealers by me who even say that the pcgs coins i had them look at were AT or dipped or whatever.......trust is hard to come by with dealers for me.

the guy is a skank, black list him from future sales.

tom
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I doubt if he took it to anybody. Probably a troll from rcc or an ACG lacky messing with you.
    I don't remember you mentioning shipping before but I know you charge fair shipping because I've dealt with you before and the postage label was pretty darn close to what you actually charged me.
    K6AZ also goes to more trouble to wrap the coins and put them in a box of peanuts for your $4 instead of charging $4 and slapping it in a 50¢ bubble mailer with 60¢ postage.
    Yeah, a cheap shot for sure.
    Your responces to the feedbacks speaks volumes.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Hey, thanks Dog. Anyone who has bought from me knows how I do business. And I go to a lot of expense in my shipping, because I have seen too many cracked slabs in bubble mailers. I buy those boxes new, and try to pack them nice and tight to the point where they are virtually indestructible.

What is irritating about this coin is if I had it slabbed, it would have cost me $17, and I may have got $30 for the coin if I was lucky. I figured it was better to take $20-25 for the coin raw. But I am finding way to many people buy raw coins and expect them to be MS65s. I clearly stated this coin was a 63, provided a large picture, and noted the haze.

By the way Dog, how is this for conspiracy: the guy is in FL.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Probably the same guy that got iras the other week.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    No, this guy works on a smaller scale than that guy. I still can't get over being called a coin doctor on a 84-0!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    don't you dare doctor any Frankies you coin dr. you!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Now come on Lucy, when have I ever had any Frankies? OK, I had one the wholesaler sent with the Morgans, but it was so ugly I sent it back in a bag! image
  • Options
    Geez ~ what a turd...blocked him from every dealing with me, not that I sell that many coins...

I'd still buy raw coins from ya...btw, haven't sent that beautiful reverse toner in yet I purchased from you a while back...waiting for enough travelers in the box before shipping to PCGS...

• Options
    You want to know what's funny? Your coin and the coin this idiot neg'ed me on came out of the same bag!
  • Options

<< <i>but it was so ugly I sent it back in a bag! >>

BANN'D!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Yeah Lucy, I told him it was a total waste of the extra 23¢ it cost to ship it back to him with his payment! image
  • Options
    Lucy, everyone knows frankies are great for balancing the legs on uneven tables image
  • Options

<< <i>Lucy, everyone knows frankies are great for balancing the legs on uneven tables >>

DOUBLE BANN'D!!!!!

Hey HotStuff, was that the eyesore you showed me?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    His dealer is a jerk too, don't forget about him, as well as the dealers you mention who assume anything on ebay is cleaned or doctored or whatever. If, indeed he actually went to a dealer.
  • Options

<< <i>DOUBLE BANN'D!!!!! >>

My first banning and a doubleban at that! image I feel so privileged! image
  • Options
    Tommy, I seriously doubt he took the coin anywhere. His attitude started when I kicked back his paypal payment because he didn't include shipping. His story was "the coin went for more than it was worth" so he didn't feel like he had to include shipping.
  • Options
    Lucy, this is the one I returned that I showed you:

Oh no, I can't believe I just posted a picture of a Frankie! Lucy tricked me! image
  • Options
    See eveybody, HotStuff is a closet Frankie collector!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    K6AZ- I read your feedback and your response, including his and the follow up and agree with the others. I don't think it'll have any adverse affect on your auctions.

You mentioned you now have changed your feedback policy. What will it now be?

peacockcoins

• Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice coin to me. I would have been glad to have it at that price.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    I just bought an SAE from Eric and he did the best packing job I have ever seen. Slab wrapped in soft packing and in a box with packing peanuts. Pretty coin too. If I had seen the Morgan, I might have bought it too. Nice, original coin.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    K6AZ, You have done nothing wrong in my book. The secret to life is to only worry about the big things, and there are no big things...
    ...Ken
  • Options
    Pat, it probably won't be much different now that I have had a few hours to simmer down. This makes three negatives now, two from non-paying bidders that had no right to slam me, and this guy who emailed and said he got the coins and then slammed me after I posted + FB for him.

Most likely, the only change I will make is to not leave FB for new eBayers until they tell me not only did they get the coin, but are satisfied. I want the opportunity to at least take the coin back and give a refund. This guy gave me no such opportunity, he just slammed me.

Oh, there will be no change for board members. I always leave feedback for board members as soon as I receive payment.
  • Options
    I have eight negatives from non-paying bidders and I am damn proud of it! image
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    What braddick said. Your handled it well after he slammed you. He didn't.
    One of the first things i learned to do when buying is check the feedback and read the negs and responses. I'd completely ignore that neg in this case. Never happened. Just another battle scar.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    Everything in your auction was very clear, even the return policy. This guy just wanted a last laugh because he couldn't get free shipping. You took the high road.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I believe there's a perfect Yiddish word for this guy: "Putz."
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a tough break. Some newbies just don't understand the system... I know I always look at the feedback when I am going to purchase some thing and I put it in perspective. The type of comment he left should be ignored by most.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    K6AZ,

As always (IMHO) your reputation is impeccable, and you do things the right way. I hope you don't let this bother you too much. You deserve much better.

I think your handling of the situation was exemplarary, and is a model for others to follow.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    K6, I just had a similar neg that I posted 2 days ago and it was
    erased from the Open Forum. In that case a seller witheld his FB until I posted. He failed to answer any of my letters to him over a 6 week period as to why he sent me a coin covered in residue when his description said PQ/no spots/etc. I even mailed a letter to ensure he got it. Plain and simple, he just didn't want the coin back under any circumstances. After I negged him for NO RESPONSE he had the nerve to neg me for holding him hostage to a price reduction. Pretty funny stuff considering he had my money and I had his overgraded slabbed coin.

Guess you can't get away from problems on either side. That's Ebay.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Hey Eric,
    Why not rustle his feathers and send him a letter threatening legal action for libel? Should be good for some entertainment, if nothing else.
  • Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Eric, you know I have bought stuff from you and won an auction also. I have NEVER had any complaints nor any thoughts of doctoring or AT from your coins. I look forward to more purchases from you in the future. This guy was an obvious d!ck, putz, moron, doofus, dork, idgit, idiot, a$$,...etc, etc, etc. Forget him and get on with selling more toned morgans raw!! image Your honesty will prevail and show through in the other comments from your satisfied ebay buyers...(such as myself!image) Hang in there, dude!!

ElectricEye, I am suprised at you! Everyone knows it takes TWO baldies to balance a short table leg! Old Ben just isn't as strong as he used to be.....image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭

<< <i>Complaint : Took the coin to a PCGS dealer, he told me the coin was professionally doctored >>

that kind of sucks, I sure as hell won't go by what some of these fool PCGS dealers say. I think some of these dealer eat stupid pills before work. I have stories about these fools.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file