Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you a "picker" or a "passer?"

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
You are at a coin show and you see all the coins with NO prices and you courteously ask the dealer, "how much?"

He tells you and you think it is more than it is worth to you.

You then of course ask if that is his best price or words to that effect and it is still higher than you want to pay.

Do you:

a) pass on the coin?

b) call attention to deficiencies to try to get the price down?

Comments

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    a) Pass on the coin.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I've made quite a few 'passes' in my day....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>call attention to deficiencies to try to get the price down? >>

No that's the dealer game when they buy coins from you!!! I just pass plain and simple.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Pass
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I pull out the cash and make my best offer for the coin...I handle rejection very wellimage

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Make your best offer and if not accepted pass. The dealer knows what he has and nit picking it to justify a lower sale price is a waste of time and will probably irritate the dealer to the point where he just puts you on ignore.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass and say thanks!
  • Options
    byergobyergo Posts: 586
    Pass.
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Here is a word of advice:
    Never ask a dealer if that is his "best price".
    The most effective negotiating is this.

1.topstuf: "How much for that Pillar dollar NGC-58 with the dark color ?"
    2.dealer: " $350!"
    3.topstuf: "$350!!!!!, How about $310?"
    4.dealer: (whying like a crybaby: " but I am into it for $325!!!").
    5.topstuf: " Allright!!, allright!, I'll give you $330 and get you a Pepsi from the vending machine !"
    6.dealer: "stops whyning and says "Ok!"
    7.topstuf: counts out $330 in twenties and two fives", takes out a Sac dollar and asks the dealer
    if the machine takes Sacs?"
    8.dealer: " NO!!!, but the bar does!!!!"

lol
    Brian.
  • Options
    I give him my best Bug Eyed look ad Pass.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'll always pass unless the price they finally say is just a hair higher than the max I'm willing to pay.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Calling attention to the dealers grading & pricing deficiencies is a sure fire way to put the dealer on the defensive and make him hard to deal with.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I don't ask for a best price. I've sold a few coins and find it anoying when a person ask for a best price. My price is what I want for it because I know I can get it. Why give someone a bargan if I can sell it soon for what I want?

If I don't like the price I'll say sorry and hand it back. If the dealer wants to sell it right away he will make another offer.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I pass and stow my cash away.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Pass.
  • Options
    pass

• Options
    drsvenghalidrsvenghali Posts: 291 ✭✭
    I agree with Merc. If it is higher than I want to pay, I'll pass. If the dealer was fishing and really wants to sell it he will either offer another price or regret he didn't the first time. It does me no good to dicker with them. People who I buy from know they have one shot for a decent asking price.
    "Don't talk like an ignarosis."

I specialize in Wisconsin currency! Looking for information on WI national banknotes. Census stands at 12,318 notes.

**"Wisconsin National Bank Notes - 2nd Edition" is out!!!" Only $20PPd!!!
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Pass. I would assume picking would just annoy him.

If I successfully picked I would think he was an idiot (either he is weak or he hadn't
    closely looked at his inventory when he marked down a price).

-KHayse
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    pass
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coin is overpriced you pass, pass pass, unless there are only 5 or 6 known and coming across another will never happen. I have found by sad experience that as soon as I overpay for a coin (usually with slight problems) another comes along very shortly twice as nice for a lesser price. It is the coin GOD's telling you to be patient and they will bring the coins to you in due time.

Tyler
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    pass

sincerely michael
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Pass - lost cause if you have already pushed for lower pricing. It will only piss them off.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on many factors. Consider everything. If you think that the dealer might WANT you to counteroffer instead of just passing, give it a shot.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Make a reasonable counter offer, and walk away if refused. I can always walk by later to see if it's still there.
  • Options
    pass. the only times i negotiate are here, when i can look up the history of the exact coin at heritage and find out what the person bought it for. several of the coins i've bought from my local dealer i've later found to have been sold on heritage (the exact same coin) for much less. that's alright though. what i liked last time i went to see him is that i knew i was going to buy about 4k worth of stuff, but the two of us never talked about prices (until the very end of course). he showed me a lot of interesting pieces, inculding a 1795 & 1800 dollar, several overdates, a pair of 55 double dies, a three leg, 12-s V nickel. and i picked 3 coins (types that i was quite unfamiliar with concerning pricing) and they came out to just under 4.2k image neither of us could believe how close i was to what i had wanted to spend. and so i gave him all i had and two weeks later went back with another hundred.
    Life's a journey, not a destination.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    pass
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    I will ask the price ask to see the coin and look at it under my glass, move my head back and forth making a slight face look at the coin again and repeat the price to the dealer in a question mark tone of voice and then pass.
    Sometimes the dealer will say "well let me see what i can do" and give a break on the price. And sometimes it does nothing at all. But it was fun doing.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I pass and stow my cash away. >>

LOL! Nice one, IrishMike!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I'm at a show if I don't like what one guy has or his price I go to the next table someone will have what I need.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file