Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Finally got my Steve Garvey basic & master sets registered!

Steve Garvey Basic Set

Steve Garvey Master Set

Each of mine is titled "Steve Garvey's Number One Fan" for any of you who are interested in checking it out.

I suppose with Garvey, you can all tell that I'm not in this for the money. I have a total blast collecting Garvey. I guess if I was in it for the money, I would be best advised to collect Rose or something, huh? Anyhow, tons o' fun.

Thanks to all who helped me with registry questions.

rynerbean
"And if it doesn't say 'Binford' on it, somebody else makes it." - Tim Allen

Comments

• Options
    I can probably help you out with a raw 1976 Isaly's disc of Garvey. I just picked up 4 comlete sets, sending in my favorites and not sure what I'll do with the extras.
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    rynerbean

NICE to see another player collector.... collectting just because and not for the MONEY!!!!!! Good Luck.

James
    x
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Rynerbean:

Nice looking set. Great job on all the 10s.
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654

Ryan,

Wheres the 81 squirt card????

• Options
    Thanks for the offer, dbj77. I bought a lot of 50 or so raw Isaly Garveys a couple of years ago. It's just a matter of having the money to send one or two in for grading. Thanks so much!

GATOR5: As for the 81 Squirt card, I have a couple that I'll be sending in for grading as soon as I have the $$$$. Knowhuddamean?

I have a buttload of Garvey cards to send in, but I ain't yet found that money tree everyone keeps talkin' about. Anybody know where this thing is a-growin'? I'd like to make a pilgrimage.

rynerbean
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Great player set -- congrats!

Do you have any idea of how many Steve Garvey PSA-gradable cards there are from his playing years? Just curious if you've ever come up with that number.

Got to hand it to the player collectors, though -- I think it is the most fun way to collect modern baseball cards!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Thanks mikeschmidt, and congratulations to you for your completion of the "Schmidtty" basic set.

As far as PSA-gradable Garvey cards from his playing years, I can come up with approximately 230 cards. Man, that's gonna be a challenge. Some of 'em are impossible to obtain in anything approaching mint condition, such as the large Donruss Action All-Stars cards from the mid-80s and the Burger King All-Pro stuff. Almost always comes with bent corners. Aghhhh!

Anyway, it should take me quite a while, keeping me busy for years to come. But what fun it will be to try to come up with these.

By the way, how many PSA-gradable Mike Schmidt cards are there from his playing days?

rynerbean
  • Options
    rynerbean:

The jury is still out on that one -- but I'm guessing that the number is approximately 400 - 450, if you start including all the stickers, etc.

Some of the oddballs PSA will not grade, such as the 1986 Burger King, some certain oversized cards (Johnny Pro, etc.), and some of the coin/disc type cards. There are also a lot of the "box bottom"/Hostess type cards that PSA will not grade because they involve cutting or other removal from a larger entity.

There are also some cards that PSA graded -- but will not include on the Registry. 1984 Nestles is the best example -- but 1988 Nestle is another example, as PSA now claims that they were issued without an MLB license. Nonetheless -- I own all such cards in top grade.

Finally -- there are some combination cards that can literally mean hundreds of potential variations. The 1988 Topps Stickercards are the most prominent variations. It was an issue with a "card" on one side and a sticker of some other superstar on the other. I think that you can find any sticker on any card. There is one Mike Schmidt card and two MIke Schmidt stickers from that set -- so there are potentially 200?! different variations from that set. I think I own about 40 of the different variations. Throw in the OPC versions of the cards, and you've got quite a mess.

It's a lot of fun at any rate -- and there are a lot of other neat Schmidt collectors out there who do their own thing. The combination of everyone's efforts is truly extraordinary.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Marc,
    I'm not sure if the '88 Baseball stickers were done the same way as the '88 Football stickers, but if so there is a finite number of variations. For example, the Marcus Allen sticker can be found with 4 different sticker backs, and the Marcus Allen sticker back can be found with 13 different stickers. One of those is a duplicate (Allen sticker with Allen sticker back), so there are a total of 16 variations. Like I said, I don't know if baseball was done the same way, but I tend to think it was.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Joe:

I think you are right -- I just checked through a lot of 50 of those I have lying around the office (Oops!), and there is definitely multiples. May take me a while to figure out which front are associated with which stickerbacks -- I'll put it on my list of long-term Schmidt projects.
  • Options
    downgoesfrazierdowngoesfrazier Posts: 1,515 ✭✭
    Ryan,
    Great Stuff! That '83 Traded is on my list...I misfired at your "9" you had up. Since you were selling it and you would never part with a quality Garvey I backed off...now I see it was the 10 that probably made it expendable...live and learn, I guess. I did see where you finally got the SSPC 10. That probably made you feel pretty good. Anyway, great job so far on the set. I'd love to view the Schmidt player set that Marc has as well as the Garvey set. I do have a couple of Garvey 10's available ...email me if you're interested.
    dgf
  • Options
    downgoesfrazier

What PSA 10 Garvey stuff do you have available? Anything I don't have yet?

By the way, I like your username. I assume it's referring to the famous Frazier-Ali fight. Very creative. Wish I had thought of it.

rynerbean

• Options
    downgoesfrazierdowngoesfrazier Posts: 1,515 ✭✭
    Ryan,
    Yes. Stuff you don't have. Email me.
    dgf
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    What's more numerous? Garvey's cards or his children???

wakka wakka wakka
  • Options
    RedHeart54

Nearly fell outta my chair when I read your last post. I absolutely love Steve Garvey, but one cannot get around the truth, huh? That was a real butt-slapper!

rynerbean