Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Registry Photos ? Improvement Coming ?

This subject was brought up about a month ago. I believe someone said they would get back to the Members and render a decision on whether seperate pictures, obverse and reverse, could in the future be entered. I know this is not high priority with PCGS but IMO the way pictures can be entered into the Registry is 2nd Class all the way. The NGC Registry picture entry puts our Registry to shame.

Just Curious. Guess the Number 1 Registry is satisfied with Number 10 Photos in the Registry.

Ken

Comments

• Ken, I agree 100% with you. I'd love to show the reverses in my Washington Registry set.

Rick

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MANOFCOINS.

A member at NGC can enter pictures there just like here. The difference is that you are allowed 2 pictures with a 100MB size limit for each. This makes for some really nice shots of both the obverse and reverse of a coin.

Ken
  • Currently, once you click on the picture icon for any coin in a set, the photo
    is displayed along with links to display the next/previous photo's.

That's ok, but a much slicker way would be to:

Display the set as it is now, but make each coin a link to a detail page that
    would show information like coin number, date/mint, grade, pop figures,
    sufficient room for plenty of owner comments, and the TWO photo files with
    100k size limits as suggested by Ken!

There should also be navigational buttons for Next Coin, Previous Coin,
    This Set, All Sets in Category, and Registry Home.

• dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    The difference is that you are allowed 2 pictures with a 100MB size limit for each. This makes for some really nice shots of both the obverse and reverse of a coin.

100mb each or 200mb per coin! They better be really nice shotsimage !

In their improvement process, I hope they come up with a better way to manage the photos we do upload for the sets. Dave
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The current limit is actually just 50kb. I believe the original suggestion called for 2 photos @ 50kb, not mb. Those would really be huge files. A change to two 100kb photos would allow much better quality pictures.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I like the way PCGS does the photos as far as clicking next/previous slideshow type, the NGC requires to click on each coin obv/rev. I just put the obverse and reverse in the same image for PCGS and find it twice as much work to enter the images for NGC.

Possibly PCGS should increase their allowed image size to 250k (hard drive space and bandwidth are both relatively cheap.)

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>whether seperate pictures, obverse and reverse, could in the future be entered. >>

I'm not sure I can see any need for the ability to include two images. All of the images in my registry sets include both the obverse and reverse in a single image. It's simple to do in Microsoft Paint.

Russ, NCNE
  • This image is only 41k, do you really need more?

Bill

09/07/2006
  • While I'm a beginner taking coin pictures I have started to include several pictures in my registry sets with the reverse and obverse within the required file size. It certainly takes addition time to do, but the results are not bad. I use some inexpensive software.

I would prefer to see a coin listing simalar to the pop report that shows how many coins by date and grade are in the registry sets. This would be helpful when evaluating new purchases.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
    Here's another example of just how much 100k is for file size:

That one is only 57k, 43k to spare.

Russ, NCNE
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ,

all because you know how to or presently post obverse and reverse using whatever adobe does not mean we know or are able to do that. The suggestion was simply to make it easier for all to be able to post an Obverse & Reverse etc. I agree with that suggestion and hope they will take heed.

That being said you know I love your photo talents, it puts most of us to shame .

Marc

<< <i>all because you know how to or presently post obverse and reverse using whatever adobe >>

Actually, I don't own Adobe, or any other expensive graphics program for that matter. Frankly, I find those programs too complicated to use. As I said, I use Microsoft Paint. It's built in to every copy of Windows, and it's so simple that even I can use it.

Edited to add: Making the two individual images of the reverse and obverse is actually the hard part. So, any of you that already handle that fine, would find that merging them is a piece of cake.

Russ, NCNE
    OK many know how to Merge the photos but many of us do not have the Talents with the Camera as others do. Individual photos just seem a little more classy to me. The limit of 100 KB or MB or what ever it is just does not give rank amatures like myself enough room to post clear pictures. Just thought it would be nice for the viewers of our wares.

Ken
    Ken,

Those images look damned nice and clear to me. Your file size for the whole wad is only 205k, so split that by three and you're well under the 100k limit.

Russ, NCNE
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

That '30-S is really really nice!

Russ Rules image

Marc
    Marc that reverse is the reverse of my 25S. The obverse is a 30P. I just used this picture as a illustration. The entire photo is just some of my favorite obverses and reverses. No single coin is pictured

Russ actually just last week I found something in Adobe that I did not know was there. Lately pictures have been coming out clearer. The problem I have with the side by side photos is that I shoot pictures free hand and the background color is not always the same. That is the main reason I prefer a obverse and reverse photo.

As far as PCGS changing anything if they do thats fine if not thats fine also. Just thought this would be a decent discussion topic for Registry people.

Ken

• Most software nowadays has a save for web feature that will allow you to make the file size smaller while still having a decent image size.
    Bill

09/07/2006