Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Shouldn't the "FOR SALE" stuff be in the "FOR SALE" forum? Sorry I brought it u

I just put some stuff in the for sale registry and came over here to look around. I would sure like to see the for sale stuff over there and the discussions about registry issues or....in this forum. Seems to just clutter up the forum when that stuff is posted in both forums.

Of course this is just IMHO.

(Donning flame suit)

But you can go look over there and see what I have for sale too image

Mike

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "for sale" stuff is fine over here, except I am sick and tired of reading about all the wonderful Memorials Datentype is making!! imageimageimage

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Okay. Then here you go...

I have a few extra commems that are for sale or trade for ones I don't have.

All are PCGS graded MS69

Half Dollar Commems

1992 Olympic half - $21
    2001 Cap Vis half - $27

Dollar commems

1991 Rushmore - $45
    1994 P.O.W - $80
    1994 Vietnam - $70
    1994 Women - $45
    1995 Gymnastics - $75
    1995 Blind Runner - $97
    1997 J. Robinson - $80
    1999 Yellowstone - $60

What I'm in need of are:

1990 Eisenhower
    1995 Track and Field
    1995 Cycling
    1997 Officers
    2000 Lief Erickson

PM me if you're interested.
    imageimageimage
  • Wondercoin:

I think he has a point. The only area where we are grey on this is if the items being sold are from a set.
    I know we don't always get a chance to move the ones that should be but I guess if it get out of hand we'll have to be more strict in the rules.

Carol
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Sorry mitch! It is a hair obnoxious but you know how it goes better than anyone!
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    I thought that PCGS certified material could be offered on this Board.

Greg
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey mitch

you opened up the door now. stuff being offered for sale has been happening in a sneaky kind of way over on the U.S. forum a bit lately, 2-3 times in the last week. the way it goes is that talk twists and turns till "for sale" comes out and the deal is all but done in the thread and consummated either through PM or e-mail. kind of silly really. there is a forum for buying, selling, trading, swapping and even giving. why not have one exclusively for discussing?? i mean really, we all know where the sites are. why not restrict a registry site to registry discussion and sell at the sale site?

al h.image
  • Any marteial can be offered but it should be done on the Buy/Sell & Trade.
    I know this question has come up in the past and I think it was decided that it could list here if it was part of a set.
  • littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    If it's high grade registry material, then I think it can be here. Just common stuff that you can pick up on ebay everyday isn't high grade registry material.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I LIKe for stuff that is genuine Registry quality to show up here. The problem is if people list stuff that isn't.

It has been my experience that the Registry Forum self-polices that stuff pretty well, and offenders usually accept the reproach and stay over on the Buy/Sell/Trade.
    Shouldn't the "FOR SALE" stuff be in the "FOR SALE" forum?

hey inneedof70's--------in a word, yes.

al h.image
    "Sorry mitch! It is a hair obnoxious but you know how it goes better than anyone!"

Mark: You know I was just kidding with you. Your post here the other day for a Lincoln led me to your ebay site to do a BIN on one of your other coins. I love to see your "hits" image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    "I thought that PCGS certified material could be offered on this Board. Greg"

Greg: You are correct, but, if the majority of forum members ever desire to change the rule, I will certainly abide by the new rules. If I am not mistaken, I believe the written rules/agenda for this board speak to offering out PCGS Registry quality coins.

Wondercoin

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    LW - How can you say that only "High Grade" should be advertised here? The registery set is only for PCGS slabs and it does not make a difference what grade the coin is in. For the modern stuff, post 1932, I don't really care about the grade, only the cost. Having a MS-64 1972 Kennedy half is all I want. Registry folks can, and should, collect what they choose.

Tom
    Tom

• Okay, I agree that top quality Registry stuff SHOULD be list here, but is the stuff I listed above "top quality stuff"? I don't think so and that's why I only put it on the for sale registry. Others might disagree and say that ANY MS69 stuff is top quality. I'd like to see Most of the stuuf on the other forum.

IMHO

Mike
  • LegendLegend Posts: 336
    "No business please! The use of this discussion board for buying, selling or trading will not be tolerated!
    Violations may result in the elimination of this discussion board and/or in the suspension of board privileges for offenders!"

I copied this from the EBAY Chat board. Seems right to me.

It is my VERY strong opinion that all selling should be strictly limited to the buy/sell board allotted for it. Otherwise, it creates opportunities for unspecting collectors to be preyed on.

I would hope PCGS would publish such a policy like EBAY has. If a dealer wants to solicit biz, a chat board IMHO is NOT the right place to do so. There ARE places to advertise on the web!

Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
    "unspecting collectors" on this board

Now there is a modern rarity!! image Wondercoin
    Loosen up guys! There's not much action on these boards anyway or you would not even be dealing with this thread. i posted one over a week ago and it's at the top of the second page with only 1 response.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I rarely go to the BST board and would hope anyone selling high grade registry quality coins would post them here
    or post a link to them here. As long as the title of the post of the thread describes a "for sale" item I see no reason
    it cannot be posted on this forum.
  • I do. It just pushes all the other threads off the page in about 2 hours. The for sale stuff should be on the for sale forum.

IMNSHO
    I don't understand it, the BST board is only one click away. Obviously PCGS has a BST board for a reason.

If people want to sell, they really should do it there. These boards are for discussions, not sleezy backhanded solicitations by dealers or people who want to sell coins. My personal opinion, its plain rude to try and sell here.

Again, if you want to sell, go to the BST board. Its there for a reason. And in case you missed it: "No business please! The use of this discussion board for buying, selling or trading will not be tolerated!
    Violations may result in the elimination of this discussion board and/or in the suspension of board privileges for offenders!" Is what headlines the EBAY coin Chatroom.

Maybe things would be a little different if PCGS published those rules too.
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the reason this board was created was due to selling. They were told they couldn't sell, even high grade plastic rarities, on the US Forum. Even though every poll said people didn't care if they did, PCGS said NO.

At the time I think discussion was about a #1 set being offered, so PCGS was asked to create this board where not only discussion of such sets, but the selling of such sets could take place. I would think that is why Carol is mentioning coins from actual registry sets.

Obviously this has not been the case and some continue to advertise items from their inventory here.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • It can be really hard to find stuff in the BST forum, with many people TTT'ng their posts to death so as to always be on the front page. Or they will have a post for every single inventory item.

The occasional post of high grade coins for sale on this board has always been tolerated, and usually encouraged. A lot of the top Registry Set participants check this board first, and are more likely to see the availability of the coin here before they would see it in the BST.
    Keith ™

This discussion goes on about every month or so and it always comes down to

PCGS Registry Forum Description:
    "For discussions about PCGS registry sets - building them, buying them, selling them, collecting them"

End of story!!!

<< <i>This discussion goes on about every month or so and it always comes down to

PCGS Registry Forum Description:
    "For discussions about PCGS registry sets - building them, buying them, selling them, collecting them"

End of story!!! >>

That is pretty clear, NO SELLING. Only mentions discussions about selling PCGS registry sets.
  • littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭

<< <i>LW - How can you say that only "High Grade" should be advertised here? The registery set is only for PCGS slabs and it does not make a difference what grade the coin is in. For the modern stuff, post 1932, I don't really care about the grade, only the cost. Having a MS-64 1972 Kennedy half is all I want. Registry folks can, and should, collect what they choose.

Tom >>

I'm not telling what people should collect. How would you like these boards spammed with just everyday normal coins that you can find on ebay any day of the week? The coins that are primarily sold here are coins that have extremely low pops and are hard to find in the grades. These coins have serious interest to registry participants. Whereas the everyday you can find on ebay coins don't have interest in them, simply because they can get them whenever they like.

<< <i>I don't understand it, the BST board is only one click away. Obviously PCGS has a BST board for a reason.

If people want to sell, they really should do it there. These boards are for discussions, not sleezy backhanded solicitations by dealers or people who want to sell coins. My personal opinion, its plain rude to try and sell here.

Again, if you want to sell, go to the BST board. Its there for a reason. And in case you missed it: "No business please! The use of this discussion board for buying, selling or trading will not be tolerated!
    Violations may result in the elimination of this discussion board and/or in the suspension of board privileges for offenders!" Is what headlines the EBAY coin Chatroom.

Maybe things would be a little different if PCGS published those rules too. >>

Don't forget, Laura, that you're not the only one on these boards. Many registry particpants appreciate getting first chance at top pops and rare coins here. In the BS&T forum, you'd have to constantly TTT your posts, and not too many of the top registry guys visit there.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I've been here for a year and every item that I have listed on the B/S/T has sold. Many if not all of those coins were registry quality and some were expensive coins. They sold because I priced them fairly, usually substantially under what they would sell for on ebay. I see coins listed for sale on that board that overpriced, plain and simple or are listed as make me an offer. If you have something for sale post a price and quit trying to get PCGS guide for it. They don't sell and your TTT's clutter up the board.

There seems to be two sets of rules followed on this forum, one by those who gain a substantial part of their income from selling coins and those of who sell coins that no longer fit their collecting desires or are duplicates. I agree with the others who believe that coins listed for sale should be put on the B/S/T board. There are some very highly regarded forum members who restrict their selling to that board and they manage to sell some very nice coins.
    "boards are for discussions, not sleezy backhanded solicitations by dealers or people who want to sell coins"

I've been here for years and have rarely, if ever, witnessed that sort of conduct. Maybe ebay is a different story, especially when it is their business to have coins sold on their site for fees. Moreover, it is entirely disingenuous to suggest that sort of conduct is fine one board over - why would "sleezy bankhanded solicitations" be perfectly fine elsewhere on the site.

These offerings of PCGS Registry coins have gone on here from the beginning and Datentype's (2) postings on the front page for an OHIO(p) in MS69 and a 1984 Lincoln in MS68 are the very type of Registry coins the members have stated repeatedly should be offered here, so members can have an early shot at some very neat Registry coins.

NOW, AS I SAID BEFORE, IF A MAJORITY OF MEMBERS HERE DESIRE TO CHANGE THE WAY THREADS ARE POSTED HERE, YOU WILL HEAR NO ARGUMENT OUT OF ME. But, let's refrain from name calling or labeling actions and conduct a civil discussion of the issues. It really is no big deal - these coins do sell just as well on the BST board IMHO - posting them here was simply viewed as a convenience to many Registry collectors (as OnlyRoosies stated). image Wondercoin

• Okay, so here we sit with the discussion of what coins should and shouldn't be posted HERE. Are the coins listed above the kind that should be here or not, also as was posted a couple posts back, are they over priced? Be honest, I can always throw them out on ebay instead of waisting everybodys time and eyes.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought it was within the rules.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Again.....Ho Hum.

Ken
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    This is sooo FUNNY!

I've got my preferences set to show 40 posts on my screen. Right now this thread seems to be getting the most attention.

This happens every few months. If I'm not mistaken, the last time around it was decided to allow the sale of coins if they were for the Registry. Some follow the guidlines, some don't. Personally, I don't care! I've purchased a few coins from those advertising here. I'm not going to mention names, you know who you are. Most of the coins were added to my Registry sets, some weren't. I don't surf the different forums much. I usually stay here, but sometimes venture to the US Forum. I just don't have the time. So I appreciate the opportunity to get coins here.

The thing that I don't like and think is unfair is to allow some to sell (usually those that have been here for a while) and not allowing others that may be new or just drop by with an occasionaly list or link. If it's decided to allow the advertising of coins, with or without links, then let it be open for everyone. Not just the one's we like the best.

Just my Two Cents worth.
    (See link below) image And no, they're not for sale!
    Dan
  • "For discussions about PCGS registry sets - building them, buying them, selling them, collecting them." image

I think that any PCGS coin offered here is okay, and really don't see any harm in doing so. But that's jmho! image

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maggots do not have Humble Opinions ! image Still Ho Hum. image

Ken

• << <i>I
    Maybe things would be a little different if PCGS published those rules too. >>

Here is the description of this forum on the home page of the forums.
    This is why I said selling on this forum is a slightly grey area.

For discussions about PCGS registry sets - building them, buying them, selling them, collecting them.
    Carol: Another thing I have seen lately (usually over on the Coin Forum where buying and selling coins is not permitted) are the following disguised threads (not always a disguise, but often):

1. "WHAT IS MY COIN WORTH"? I just got graded this "so and so" - what is it worth?

2. "CHECK OUT MY NEW COIN" This is often followed with comments such as "Is the coin available for sale" or PM sent.

And many more variations on a theme. You see the point image Wondercoin
    This is getting silly. We have always allowed the sale of registry quality coins, broadly defined here. I have bought coins here and sold coins here. Are we idiots, who don't know what we are doing. I don't think so, but if we are, well we can get dinged on the B/S/T Board as well. Selling here is a good way to trade or sell collector to collector. If a few large dealers don't like it, so be it.

Laura, frankly I do not appreciate your comments. You rarely post here, and now you are telling us how stupid and unsuspecting we are. Try selling some overpriced stuff here and see how well you do. This is a pretty savvy lot. Much of what is sold here is top shelf modern material. By your own admission you do not understand or deal in this market. So where are serious collectors of this stuff supposed to look. About a year ago I sold a magnificent set of high end mint-state IKEs right here. I got great prices, and so far the buyers have been grateful for the material they got. Could I have gotten an offer from you for these? This Board is really one of the only places where this material can try at fair prices among knowledgeable players.

I want to keep seeing offerings of registry quality material, and plan to occassionally offer some myself.

Greg
  • Greg,

You beat me to it... I second your comments.

Rich
    A active collector of Modern Proof graded coins. Highligted by my Modern registry sets. (The Lewis' Collections).
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Well said, Greg.
    A lot of top notch reg. moderns are sold here.
    This board has recently gone through a HUGE arguement about moderns that revealed that there are only a couple of serious modern dealers, and many, many serious modern collectors.
    These modern dealers are here, and like it. The modern buyers are here too, and they like it.
    Who else deserves an opinion that is respected?
    Sale of reg. stuff on the reg. forum will probably be discussed periodically, and, if you've been here long enough, you see that it has been discussed to death, but always, we come back to the original "rules" that this forum was originally based.
    Remember, moderns, like all of us, are getting "less modern" each day... tic, tic, tic... image
  • I'm in agreement with Greg, et al. This issue comes up once in a blue moon and I think most people do a good job limiting the sale items. The last time this came up on the forum I believe we all agreed to use our judgment. I can see where a newbie would be confused on the convoluted rule but maybe we can gently guide them until they catch on to all the nuances of this board.
    Is there a double standard? A little. If you are a frequent poster and you put up a rare for sale thread you are going to get a little more leniency than some one who's only post is to do a hit and run sale.

Wondercoin:
    Have a heart, there is no way I can read all the threads so you'll have to point them out.
    I have seen some of the threads you refer to but half the time people start discussing the coin and the "it's for sale" becomes less obvious.

Carol

edited for spelling image getting tired
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I brought it up

I'll bet you are!

THANKS, Carol, for restating the obvious. Why are we discussing this again???

We come here because we're interested in Registry Sets. If someone has a registry quality coin available that interests me, I WANT to know about it. I'm DELIGHTED someone will tell me about it here. I don't have to plow through pages of state quarter offerings on Buy/Sell/Trade, pay retail markups and auction fees. This is a great opportunity.

If people abuse the access, we react, and offenders usually go running when the reactions come.

The solution is NOT, and has NEVER BEEN, to ban all selling on this Board. This REALITY has been solidly and historically established by the culture of the peeple who come here. We don't need new "rules."

Save your objections for people who violate the spirit of this access. image
    "Wondercoin: Have a heart"

Carol: You do a great job over there - my point was simply that there is always a fine line between offering a item for sale outright and the "roundabout" ways to get the item out there. It is great that here on the Registry Forum we can simply offer the neat items up for sale, or buy the freshly made coins image Wondercoin
    .........so if i understand this correctly, it's OK to post items for sale here unless someone, somewhere has some kind of objection. then it's not OK?? that seems a bit obtuse. a simple "yes you can" or "no you can't" would seem a bit clearer. it's like i always say, somebody needs to write down all these unwritten rules!!image

though legend was a bit gruff in her replies, i find myself understanding her view and somewhat agreeing.........scary!! and excuse my humorous take on this, but not having time to drop the navigation bar down and jump over to the BST??imagePALLEEEEEESSSE. and once you get there you're not really searching any more than you would be over here for a certain item. PALLEEEEEESSSE.

over there, over here. i guess it really doesn't matter. if i want to talk about registry stuff i come here. sometimes talk turns to prices realized at such-and-such a venue, teletrade for example. that's a bit different than advertising, i think it's kinda the spirit of what's listed in the rules link, discussing selling. who knows. i like hard and fast, have them in concrete rules. they tend to be easier to understand and obey. quasi-rules, left open to interpretation always get me cause i'm a kaniving son-of-a-gun, always looking for loopholes and finding them if i keep at it. on the other hand, if i go to the BST board i always, 100%, totally know what i'm gonna find there. no discussion to be sure.

an aside to wondercoin-----so i guess i'm not the only one who noticed the sly sales pitches at the U.S. forum!!

al h.image
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people will always manage to slip it in no matter what the rules are. Forgive me for being blunt, and no offense intended, but:

Does Pinnacle really pay Mark Feld to educate the masses.... or is it pretty obvious advertising?
    Does Wondercoin ever miss a chance to list a coin for sale on this board?
    Anaconda is in your face.... with coins that are for sale for the most part.

I'm sure there are a multitude of others, but those examples should suffice. Let's face it - it's either blatant or it's subtle, but the bottom line is that most dealers on these boards are here for a reason. And if it's not allowed, some good knowledge is lost to the community. So I say allow it, even encourage it, up to a limit.

Why not limit it to a single thread in a given time period and say anything goes in that thread? Why have unwritten rules or verbal warnings when things go too far? Should I go and post a thread a day with Legend's inventory? I've got the time and it's good exposure, so why not?

It shouldn't be a grey area - it should be obvious to all what the rules are. IS LIMITED COIN FOR SALE POSTING ALLOWED OR NOT????
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this thread still going. Put it to rest already!!!
    This is getting funny. People read the "rules" which state "discussion" and somehow think that means you can sell here because discussing selling a registry set/coin means you can sell it.

I think it is black/white, but those that always sell here or those who always agree with those that sell here will disagree. So it should be clarified. But, if you do not allow selling here, then this board really has no use as it's entire beginning was based on the fact that certain people could not sell on the US coin forum.

Laura, you are correct. Of course, you only offer comment on these boards, as does Mark Feld. True up standing Numismatists who know where to sell and where to educate.

Also, why do so many think a poll of users should be used to dictate rules. It was tried on the US Forum with regard to selling (and rightfully crushed, but not by the vote). I won't even get into how this line of thinking has got our Nation into the position it is in. Those that make the rules should do so in regards of the best of the true intentions.(period) (this has been done, not complaining on how things are run just how some think it should be run)
  • remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    After digesting all the above responses, seems to me that if you want to sell your registry set, or an upgraded coin from your registry set, that is OK. Collector to collector. This is not meant to be a forum for dealers to sell coins to collectors, but a forum for collectors to sell their entire registry set, or former registry duplicates, to other collectors. What is so confusing about this?

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
    YAWN
    It appears that those who interpret the rules that you should be able to sell registry sets/dups/coins that were upgraded see no problem. Those that sell their inventory here are falling a sleep seeing no problem with that interpretation of the current rules and the rest seeing little reason to frequent these boards. If a coin is gradeable by PCGS, it probably has a registry set to be in. What is the purpose of the B/S/T board again? What is the purpose of the US forum, world forum etc. We only need this board.

Perhaps a clarification is needed.

This thread is sort of like "Iraq doesn't have weapons of mass destruction"!
    I think Carol clarified it. You can sell registry coins here. Discussion over for now.

Greg
    Carol has spoken and clarified the rules.

That still doesn't make it right that a few dealers waltz on the baords and exhibit a gross lack of ethics. Its the dealers who I'm frusrated with-they should know better. They shouldn't act like they are another collector-they should just go to the BST board and offer to do what they really intend-SELL!
    Laura Sperber