Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I have the Dalton & Hammer book for Conder tokens, but can anyone recommend a price supplement.

I love Dalton, but there are no prices and the auction catalogs I have are very limited.
Is there a small inexpensive price supplement cross-reference? I have heard that Seaby, Spink or Davisson might have one. Or does anyone have one that they can sell me?

Thanks,
Brian.

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Spink's no longer lists tokens in the Standard Catalogue, but there may be a reference that they publish. Have you been to their website?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • I did a key word search in Yahoo with excellent results. Thanks Aethelred.

Brian.
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Brian, check with Conder101. He may be able to guide you to a good source, if he doesn't happen to have a spare himself.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Thanks Askari.

Brian.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Unfortunately there isn't a good price guide. There used to be a book, British tokens and their values, that was publishd by either Spinks or Seaby's, I don't know which. But it only covered general types and not all of the die varieties or all of the edge varieties. I think the last edition of it was published in 1994.

The most complete price guide was the guide published by Schwer. It did cover all of the die and edge varieties. Problem is it only had one edition and it was printed in 1983. (It is still a useful book though since the prices give you a clue as to the relative rarity between the varieties.)

Another choice is the auction catalog for the Noble collection sale with prices realized. The Noble collection is the most complete collection that has been sold in the last 40 years. It's problem is that it is over five years old, there were too many bulk lots, and the catalog is not cheap. It's in the neighborhood of $60 - $70.

Sharon and Jerry Bobbe have been considering publishing a price guide to the series but as far as I know nothing has come of that yet.

Whenever the Robbie Brown collection ever comes to auction there will be the potential for a good update of Schwer as long as they don't bulk lot a bunch of it. Robbies collection contains around 85% or more of ALL of the varieties, both die and edge varieties, listed in Dalton & Hamer. I have no idea when this might happen though as Robbie is still actively collecting them. I know it would be a real pain to do but I would really like to see his collection sold by Superior using the same format that they have used for important copper auctions in the past with every coin individually lotted. (I'm not asking for every lot pictured but that would be even better as the catalog would become almost a replacement/update of D&H.) Duplicates could be bulk lotted though. Yes it would make for an expensive catalog, but a copy of D&H is now up to $185 and it is only going to go higher as the publisher only has a few dozen copies left and he is not planning on doing another printing.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Yes it would make for an expensive catalog, but a copy of D&H is now up to $185 and it is only going to go higher as the publisher only has a few dozen copies left and he is not planning on doing another printing. >>

Guess I bought mine just in time!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Same here. If any of these price guides comes up let me know.
    Bill

09/07/2006