Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A philosophical view of the Forum and its members- Part 1

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
I thought is was time to express some of my observations and views

of the members who compose thisForum.this will be a multipart series

as I intend to write untill I am finished. I do not say I am correct or accurate in my views,

but they represent what I see and what I perceive things to be

In another thread, Adrian and I got into a discussion of what constitutes knowledge.

Book learning constitutes only a part of what is known as wisdom, the other part is experience.

Experience can be a hard taskmaster, and we seem to learn more from our failures then our triumphs.

Failure is the harsh taskmaster that forces us to grasp those eternal and inherent truths that

govern the universe. Some of the wisdom on this Forum is rough hewn. Like the frontier of early

America. It has the feel of timber newly cut and the aroma of oak and pine. There is the rich

earthy smell of loam that covers mid america. It is the fresh mown hay stacked in piles on the open

fields. Other wisdom is like the waves breaking over the granet coast line of New England. Austere,

harsh at times, but beautiful in its rugged splender. We have wisdom that is sophisticated and modern

as found in a Cole Porter tune. All of these types of wisdom are to be valued and treasured as the rare

coins that they truly are. In my sojourn thru this Forum, I have begun to realize just how far I have

yet to travel in seeking wisdom. I have learned much from the other members, and yet perfection

is found only in the force that guides the universe. All mere mortals (and little bears) can do is

approach a more perfect state of wisdom. There is much to select from of the offerings on this Forum.

From the technical, to the experiences to the often entertaining and enlightening. We are on a long

continuous path that begins at each of our sunrises and continues untill our sundown. It is then
that we take what we have become unto the great unknown and continue the journey.

Perfection is not possible due to the inherent imperfections of human beings(and bears).

We have ego, biases and emotions that will play an often profound and subtle role in what we

are and what we will become. Perhaps each of us is really three parts, What we think we are, what

others think we are and what we truly are. On this Forum we talk of coins and the hobby and yet

there are strong relationships to the life and the world around us. Whether we realize it or not,we

are an extended family and we draw strength from that bond in good times and bad. Members come

and members go. For those of us who stay, we get to experience the rich feel and texture of the

human fabric.

In the next part of this series we will talk about why wisdom by itself is not enough.

Your comments are welcome and invited. The little bear

There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    "Little bear" is big in understanding and wisdom, not to mention poetry, philosophy, communication and vocabulary. Thanks and I look forward to more. image
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Man, that is so true...and so well put.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    A growl of approval and a cigar Abe. As I've grown in years (and girth) I've learned to appreciate that there is much to be said for balance and for letting some things be, while making sure that others are addressed in their proper form. I have learned a ton on these forums, and I have enjoyed the company of many of the members here. I like to take pictures and show my meager collection, not in the hope of gaining accolades, but in the hopes that other members will be encouraged to show their coins and thereby we can all learn something along the way. Of the people who enjoy trashing others, all I have to say is that I read some of the threads and then I shake my head an move on. There's got to be more to life than picking other people's faults. That's my opinion and I stick to it. So, as far as I'm concerned, this is a nice place where you can come by every once in a while and spend time with good people, talk, joke, and learn. I hate to say this, but I'll be the last person who will blow a vein arguing whether PCGS is better than NGC or visa versa. The value of what we get from these pages is the value that we can internalize and be satisfied with.

Frank
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    For a little jelly donut eating bear, you sure are wise.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Bear,
    The prologue is great. We await the insights.
    Trime
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear a few months ago I said if I ever saw you I would run you down with my Fairlane. I take that back right now. image

Ken
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting.

Carry on.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear- Buying up Numismatic Treasures this past couple of weeks has made you even more insightful.
    Perhaps that is the key.

Better coins for a healthier outlook on life!
    (Let me see if I can float that past my wife. . .)

peacockcoins

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting observations Bear... however, Hoagy Carmichael was the coin collector...not Cole Porter.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I think I need to eat more jelly donuts!! image True words, little Bear! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    imageThis BEARS for you!! oh rats This JellyBelly is for you!! oh rats again Okay, Here's to you Bear and here's my beer and jellybelly for me!!! RASPBERRY UUMMMMMMMMMM
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    Jeff - With so many forum members feeding me jelly donutes,

I might just be able pay off my coin purchases and still eat

my jelly donutes. Bear
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Going back to the first post, what did that BearCat say?????
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Bear, thank you for the thoughtful observations. As for Cole Porter, one of my favorite interpretations is "The Cole Porter songbook" by Oscar Peterson. It is a splendid interpretation.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Bear--
    I've always thought you were a much better writer than you give yourself credit for. This not only proves that, but proves you are also a great thinker. And you have one quality that I admire above all else in people: you are sensitive to the needs of those around you.

Your world does not seem to be totally Bear-centric to me. And I applaud you for that.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    The "bear" is a wise man!

Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    ... but remember -- he gets to hibernate half the year, so he gets plenty of rest and plenty of peace and quiet to think in!image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did I say about PERFECTION image

I just found this thread looking up : "philosophical"

Can I get an AMEN ?
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Bear, you've made my day! Thank you!image

JT

GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    AMEN
  • Options
    Please move this to the OF.... opps I almost forgot, There ain't no OF anymo. image
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I'm curious. Why the double spacing?
    Carl
  • Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear I have learned a lot from this board and I allways look forward to your post. I think you are in the right and the other party is wrong. I look forward to many years of learning and growing with the boards if the gods let it happen.
    Party on!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Like........................................wow
  • Options
    A thread that deserved to be brought back.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis

P.S. Accentuate the positive!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still interesting and it ages like a fine wine.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    and to this day, the tele tubbie still thinks her bottom don't stink

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    and to this day, the tele tubbie still thinks her bottom don't stink

What happened to part II and part III?
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    Bear,

Whydid you mention Cole Porter instead of coin collectors Jerome Kern or Hoagy Carmichael?
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whether we realize it or not, we are an extended family and we draw strength from that bond in good times and bad. Members come and members go. For those of us who stay, we get to experience the rich feel and texture of the human fabric. >>

Although this thread predates me (March 2003), I find it to be very true. Especially in light of recent events.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    If we are going to dredge up the past,

might as well dredge it all up. By that I

mean ,the other 4 parts to the series.
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>If we are going to dredge up the past,

might as well dredge it all up. >>

Open window ..

such grand majesty..
    eyes pear through your whole wide world..
    seen through this portal..

The natural progression of this thread would be to look past any negativity, and share kind words, regardless of color, or creed..
    The past is there for us to learn from, become one, uniting in the cognitive sense of good will, and sharing a happy joy , or sorrow for the troubled hearts, and souls that shadow our lives.
    Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Bear

Dammit it man...............image

The things we fear most in organizations -- fluctuations, disturbances, imbalances -- are the primary sources of creativity.

Margaret J. Wheatley:
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<On this Forum we talk of coins and the hobby and yet there are strong relationships to the life and the world around us. Whether we realize it or not,weare an extended family and we draw strength from that bond in good times and bad.>>

Absolutely, the world around me is vicious, and cut throat. Company is losing money due to the

increase in diesel, 146% in the last year. Talk of downsizing, streamlining the operation, which equates to jobs cut.

May have to start compiling a resume, may have to sell some coins just for bills.

Then there is the fuel I consume, $75 a week, and rising. Seems like "getting gas" is a hobby, $300 a month.

Great read Bear, thanks for taking the time to compose it.

How are the rest of you doing?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file