Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Everyone asleep in the "Circulation Strikes (1950-Present)" Registry Type Set Series ??

I do not think that anyone (currently 32 collections) has had any updates in this series for a few days now.

Where there is a sea of red (either updated or added collections) in many other series, it appears that this one has relaxed a little.

Personally, I am in what I call a "collector's block", since:
1. I do not find many items to upgrade
2. for those items that I may find an occasional upgrade, either -
    a. it is, perhaps, a type coin that I am not very eager to upgrade as it does not "fit" in my current interests given the grade and cost
    b. someone outbids me (which I guess comes back to cost/price)
    c. I may consider the coin a little overgraded (either avoid purchase or return it)
3. my thoughts/opinions on some upgrades for this date series, is that the thin overall demand may put pressures on the downward side of prices, so I'll stay on the bench there.

Given my current set and interests, an MS69 cent may be too expensive (I generally see them at $300+), the MS68 Silver Roosie recently offered was out of this world expensive, a MS67FBL Frankie (should there be one available) would be gobbled up by others. 90% & 40% MS67 Silver Kennedies do not come around very often (especially the affordable ones). MS68 Silver Ikes are still a little expensive. The commemoratives in MS70, when found, go for at least $300 and since I believe that most of them have some downside risks when pops increase, I stay on the bench as well.

I guess looking at the above reasons for my "collector's block" in this series, it looks like price is the determinant (what a revealation) but maybe for me it isn' affordability of the price, but rather the potential downside risk of pops surging.

Anyone else in that situation ?

P.S. I did expand to a 1900 - 1999 set, which seems to have a few more items available, overall, but that too will be capping off, as the next levels after the ones I have will be in the $1,000 plus club.

Edited for spelling
My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "the MS68 Silver Roosie recently offered was out of this world expensive"

I expect to have a nice 1950(s) Roosie in PCGS-MS68 available at Long Beach at $5,000. At least that is better than $8,500. Or, you can at least change your slogan to read:

"Was also looking for a post-1950 MS68 Silver Roosie, until a 1950s reached $3,900 and reserve was $8,500 and Wondercoin had one available at Long Beach for $5,000!!"

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I'm always watching for inexpensve upgrades to this set, but the easiest I have are things like MS67RD wheat cent, MS67RD copper memorial cent, and MS69RD Zinc Memorial. It's tough to spend so much for a grade rarity modern when I can buy an MS62 Seated Quarter or MS63FH SLQ for amounts cheaper than some of these coins.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey fanta

i've been busying myself over the past several months trying to find raw coins to submit for some of the holes in my set, mainly the Ike's. i have about 6 coins ready to send in, some very beautifully toned 71's, a T2 clad and a few additional silver and clad dates. i can't really see paying the steep prices for 1-2 points when it's more fun searching for 65-66's in mint sets and roll coins. the T2 is a coin i pulled from an original roll while the 71's are singles i bought at $3 each from the local shop. i see very little interest in ike's with the down side being that when coins are offered, they aren't handled with the respect i feel should be given them. hence, 65's and 66's are tough to find. last week i searched some mint sets that were clean and managed a couple of 73 and 74 coins. i want to get a complete set eventually, but for now i'll contend with the coins needed for the modern circ set.

ikes appear much ignored to me, but i don't mind that a bit!!image

al h.image