Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did you guys notice the new addition to the submission status page?

RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
Economy Service
Current estimated
turnaround: 50 days.

At least they're warning us now.image

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    not sure where ya saw that...

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    It's here. YIKES is all I can say. I wish I didn't have my order in there. It's already been 12 biz days, but maybe it'll not be sooo bad. But after that, I'm done for a long while.
  • I hope that isn't 50 BUSINESS days. That's 10 weeks! image
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• At the rate that PCGS is going, it IS 10 weeks.

My shipment was received four days ago and I'll stuck on further processing required.
    Keith ™

• thats a sure fire way to lose business IMO

yes people MIGHT upgrade a level but not as many that will not send in submissions.

sounds like they need some more graders
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    Yes, that is business days. Their list of services page shows it as 45 business days (9 weeks). Regular is now 21 business days (5 weeks). Their *express* service shows as 7 business days (two weeks).

If I wanted those turnaround times, I'd submit to ANACS. Crazy! By the time I get a coin slabbed and reslabbed by PCGS to get the correct grade, they'd have had it for 1+ years.

I think I'll go with NGC who are meeting their time turnaround times under 1/2 of what PCGS is estimating.
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    I just talked to PCGS. It IS 50 BUSINESS days. My submission is at Day 16.
    Is anyone thinking about having their order stopped and shipped back?
  • epruyneepruyne Posts: 154 ✭✭

<< <i>I think I'll go with NGC who are meeting their time turnaround times under 1/2 of what PCGS is estimating. >>

You have to be a 'member' to submit at NGC correct?...pay the $100 or whatever it is.
    Same as here, basically. However if you are an ANA member you do not have to be a NGC paid member. Prices are the same, too, I believe.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    holy smokes...i went reg...

ill be collecting social security before i get em back image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

<< <i>

<< <i>I think I'll go with NGC who are meeting their time turnaround times under 1/2 of what PCGS is estimating. >>

You have to be a 'member' to submit at NGC correct?...pay the $100 or whatever it is. >>

It's $99 there and they give you free gradings that basically pay for the membership. They also give you free comic and card gradings so if you collect those or can work with someone who does, it pays you to belong.

I believe you can also submit to them thru Amazon.

And if you are a member, you get 10% off the submission rate for filling out your submittal form online.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCI's regular turnaround time is still five days.
    -I just got a lot back today. One disapointment was a Concept Dollar from 1995 is simply labeled "Liberty Metal" and that's it. No date, no nothing other than the grade of MS65. What a jip. PCI even charges an extra $2. for "non U.S." coins (they consider this not a U.S. coin) and they couldn't have labeled it correctly with a tad more detail?

-One of the coins also, an 1884-S Morgan, was purchased off of eBay as a raw AU50 with a BIN of $100.00. It came back AU50 cleaned.image

There's a lesson there somewhere. . .

peacockcoins

• I sent in a order last week for a 7 business day service and it was BACK IN MY POSSESION IN 5 BUSINESS DAYS. They got it on a Tuesday and I had it back on Monday on the next week.

it took them 48 hours to grade the coins and send me the results. I paid $50 each and there were 3 of them (1 upgraded).

I still believe the 50 day thing to be waaaay to long. kinda discouraging.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    I guess one way to look at it is buisness must be good for PCGs....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I just got my submission kit for NGC, I'm an ANA member so it was free!!! Econ is $15 and is 21 working days, Modern is $11 and 21 days (or less). I love my PCGS slabs, but the on-line discount and the turnaround. Might have to send a few to the other coast...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got my submission kit for NGC, I'm an ANA member so it was free!!! >>

Collector's Society membership free? Or, just the kit?

Russ, NCNE
  • On the Service Fee page you will find this under Economy

For non-gold coins valued at $300 or less. Coins are completed in approximately 45 business days. U.S. Coins only.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The increase in turnaround times caused me to ask this question in the Q & A.

Realizing that collectors may be a pretty time consuming group to deal with, and also being aware the PCGS is receiving bunches of submissions right now, do you believe PCGS will remain interested in collector submissions, or do you believe with the limited pool of grading talent you would choose to employ and with the increase in dealer submissions as third-party grading becomes more necessary to sell expensive coins will squeeze the collector out of the submission process?

Here is the Mr.Hall's answer -

We're here to serve all coin submitters, including both collectors and dealers. If submissions exceed our capacity on a consistent basis, we will add graders. While the truly qualified grader pool is limited, being a PCGS grader is considered a plum job in the rare coin industry, as our graders are paid extremely well and don't have to travel as much as most dealers. Serving collectors is definitely to our business advantage, hence our non-revenue producing collector services such as the Set Registry, our web-site, and this message board. We're here to serve you...David

If they are being flooded with orders, they will do the economy last, and last is when they can get to it. That is a subtle price increase for those in a hurry.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • I have two submissions into PCGS and one into NGC. My first PCGS submission barely took 16 days. It'll be interesting to see how long the second submission, which went in the same package, will take. NGC is supposed to take 21 days, so we'll see how long that takes.

Frank
  • Is it just me, or is PCGS becoming more and more arrogant, it's almost like suffer the long wait, we could care less, we will get to you, if and when we get around to slabbing your coins.

I really hate it when a company tries to FORCE me into spending more money for a service.

I own two highend retail gift stores, a manufacturing company along with realestate investing, now If I were ever treated by any of my vendors the way PCGS is treating this economy service, they would not get my business.

This is a classic example of how NOT TO RUN a company, there will be fallout from there actions and If I were the competition, I would maximize this to my advantage..Hum, lets see, I seem to recall a 10/10/10 service, guess where my next set of coins is going

Hey PCGS, wake up and take action before it's too late.
    " I hoard coins, that's what I do, it's my nature"
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭
    As a point of clarification...The estimated 50 day turn around time is calendar days, not business days. Note that this is for the economy service only. The other lines have guaranted turn-around times, i.e. if it doesn't get done in the specified time, we'll refund the grading fee and grade the coins for free.

That said, we don't like the 50 day turn-around time either. We are not in business to piss people off. We are working on it.

David Hall
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........i say overtime for the current graders, whether that's working an extra hour or two each day or working on saturday like the rest of the real world. a solution which adds more possibly unqualified graders to a strained system would be a potential recipe for disater. todays complaint of slow strictly graded submissions would turn quickly to one of sloppy overgrading ala ACG et al. do we rally want that??

let me see, if it only takes the grader 10 seconds to grade a coin and there are 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour...................provided he/she takes a short break before beginning the added hour each day that becomes an additional 1800 coins graded per grader with the added 5 hours per week. WOWZER!!!!!!! that puts my December 27th submission back in my grubby little fingers about last Monday!!!image

hey, i say go for it!!! crack that whip David!!!!image

al h.image

one parting thought--------is the grandfather law in effect here????
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I presume I am entitled to the 30-day service since that warning was not posted when my latest shipment arrived a week ago today? imageimage
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My coins will be toned by the time I get them back.Al
  • I would think alot of this has to do with the new quarters that folks are sending in trying to get an MS68 or 69 and putting them on eBay, raving about the rarity and high quality...of course they're rare...not that many have been slabbed yet! I have mint sewn $25 bags of several varieties and I'll bet I could open them and find at least 5 coins in each that would grade out at least 68, and probably higher. If you think about the whole PCGS/ANACS/NGC slabbing and regrading process, don't you think that ultimately, all coins will end up overgraded? Think about it...I buy a coin that is listed as PCGS MS67, but when I get it and take a close look, it's a dog...maybe a 63 at best.(this has happened to me thru teletrade, it's a 47-s quarter - when I put it back up for auction, it was returned by the winner!) I am surely not gonna crack that slab - just hope to pass it on to the next sucker.However, when you get a coin that you think can slide up a point or two, you crack it and resubmit, or just send it for regrading to another service 'til you get the grade you're looking for.Consequently, as time goes on, any coin that has been slabbed will end up with the highest possible grade, whether it's deserved or not. I have a dealer near me who absolutely will not buy anything slabbed. (but then again, she undergrades to buy, and overgrades to sell!) I say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you pays yur money and takes yur chances! I think I'm slipping over to the darkside.....
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I also noticed a (possibly) new membership level, "gold plus" which for $125 gets you a years worth of submission "privilege" AND access to the online pop reports, whereas a regular gold membership only got you the submission "privilege" and not the pop reports.

I believe (and I could well be completely wrong) that when I signed up I paid $99 and got both...
  • DRGDRG Posts: 817
    golddustin: Don't count on any MS68's in those bags. I have searched a few and never found anything better than MS65. Better than MS68? You have got to be kidding! Most of the high grade quarters are from mint sets. That said, don't get me wrong, I am not saying they are rare, just that YOU WILL NOT FIND MS69's in those bags.

As for all slabbed coins ending up overgraded, I do believe PCGS has the most consistency of any service. The reality is most coins if cracked out and resubmitted will come back with the same grade. The likelyhood of a PCGS MS65 IKE$ ever endind up in a PCGS MS67 holder is ZERO in my opinion.

I believe the reason PCGS is having so many submissions is two fold. 1) They are the best service. 2) The field is hot with many new collectors looking for the best coins graded by the BEST service.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also noticed a (possibly) new membership level, "gold plus" which for $125 gets you a years worth of submission "privilege" AND access to the online pop reports, whereas a regular gold membership only got you the submission "privilege" and not the pop reports.

I believe (and I could well be completely wrong) that when I signed up I paid $99 and got both... >>

Where is that on the site?
    I looked at the collectors club and didn't see it.
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Placid,

This was on a submission form mailed to me by PCGS.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This was on a submission form mailed to me by PCGS. >>

Just checked the last batch of forms PCGS sent me, and sure enough, it's there. Gold Plus at $129 a year. So now I guess the online pop reports are going to be an extra $30 a year when we renew.

Russ, NCNE

The Gold Plus membership lists at $99 on the web site.
  • I opened up this thread, started reading and didn't notice that it was from February and thought

gmarguli's back!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Looks like last year this time they were having trouble getting out coins any faster that they are now.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    tell me that nobody's been waiting since FEBRUARY for their coins ..... please?

K S
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Okay now what do I do? I still haven't used the 4 freebies yet. All well, I'm not going anywhere I guess I'll have to wait the 50 daysimage
  • as long as there are enough folks who are willing to tolerate poor service - and to be treated with disrespect, then poor service will continue and probably get even worse. It seems they ALREADY need to hire more graders . . . so why don't they?? Since this is a very tiring job, then the overtime will not improve service, but probably make it worse. *More* pairs of rested eyes would be a better plan.
    IMHO
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    am i seeing it right?

when i click the link it says 65 day's

hmmmm!!!!!
  • Looks like same old same old to me. image
    Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file