Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

There are 5004 sets registered

There are presently more than 5000 sets registered before the end of 2002

I predicted this to happen before the end of the year a few weeks ago

How long will it take before the number of sets registered exceeds the DJIA ?

My guess is before the end of 2004 there will be more than 10,000 sets registered

How many collectors are there that have assembled 5,000 sets?

Stewart

Comments

• SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Stewart, as an example, I am a Lincoln Cent collector. I have sets registered in 6 of the 7 listed sets + additional in the varieties subset. Why? Because of the way PCGS lists sets. As far as I'm concerned, I would have the following Lincoln sets in the registry:
    1. Matte Proof (rare enough so it should be separate)
    2. Early Proofs 1936-1958
    3. Memorial Proofs including Varieties (1959-Date)
    4. Circulation 1909-1958 Basic
    5. Circulation 1959-Date Basic
    6. Circulation 1909-Date including Varieties

JMHO. Steveimage
  • Stewart et al;
    I would be extremely surprised if your guess is wrong! There is already a starting to be a proliferation of sets as PCGS adds a large number of overlapping sets. This includes the proof and mint sets; then there are composite proof sets (e.g. 1950-1964); and so on. I recently upgraded an SMS roosevelt dime and found it was in four different sets (Roos. proof; Roos proof with varieties; 1967 SMS mint; and 1965-1967 SMS).

So between the increased interest in the registry; the overlapping sets; and the addition of new set, including the Canadian registry, I expect the number of set at the end of 2003 will easily exceed 10,000.

I am not objecting to any of this. I am pleased with all the new sets. What will be interesting, however, will be to see the number of people involved in the registry and how that grows. Currently, according to BJ's post, there are about 1300 participants, or a little less than 4 set per participant. I would expect the total number of participants to grow, though much more modestly that the number of sets--maybe to 1800 or 2000 or so. And I would expect the number of sets per participant to grow to 5 or 6 from its current 4.

Pete
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Just think of all the money spent on coins from 1300 set registry participants with 5,000 sets......................

The set registry has created an industry
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of nice Kennedys because of my 20th Century Type set so I just started a Kennedy Circulation Strike registry set. I'm a coin junkie in the truest sense of the phrase. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.