Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Register Snipers Lurking??? Post Here...

gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone have any predictions on how many sets will be registered at the last minute to meet the registry awards deadline? Apparently one already hit on the 1961 baseball sets. It will be interesting to see if any mind blowing sets are added within the next week.

If you could, please post a reply to this message if/when a set is registered. I don't regularly check through all the catagories but would like to see those sets when they show up. Others may enjoy this as well. Good luck to everyone!

Comments

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, title should be "Registry Snipers". There goes my typing again. image
  • FYI
    if you hit "EDIT" on your First post, you can change your Title as well as the post itself.
    ~jeff
    imageimage
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Gemint,

I was thinking of slamming in my 64 set just before the close. Not quite sure where my 3.4% completion with a 7.98 GPA will get me - but the idea of surprising everyone sounds pretty cool!image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine that the Registry Awards are so progressive at this point that there will be hoardes or Registry Award snipers out there waiting to Register....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    My near complete 72 Kellogg's baseball set was entered yesterday, does that count?
  • Dude not only does it count, but I believe it's the most significant Registry Snipe yet!

BTW, did you enter it manually or did you use that new service "RegSnipe"?
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    gemmintman,

I used RegSnipe 1.0 (beta version). Due to the uncertainty of the software's responsiveness, I set the buffer for 8 days. image
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Dude...

How did you find the time to register that monster of a set? I thought you were on jury duty.

MS-

Will you be sniping with your 55 Bowmans?

John
    John:

My sister lives in the Washington, DC area -- so I will definitely not be going down as a Sniper.

Also, for what it's worth, has anyone else noticed the trend of people not allowing the composition of their sets to be visisble? I have seen this more and more in the past few months....

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    MS-

Yes Ive noticed the trend as well. Obviously I see the point when you are at 75%+ completion...but Ive seen a number of sets at the 0-20% range that have done this as well. Maybe they are a bit paranoid...who knows?

Seriously....any timetable out there when you are going to unleash your 55 Bowman set to the collecting world?

John
    John:

If you are interested in details re: my 1955 Bowman set, just drop me an e-mail and let me know specifically what you are interested in. I'm a nice enough guy that I will try an accomodate.
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    gggrrrrreeeeeaaaaattttt
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • marc,

i was under the impression you were the midnight cowboy, any idea who the owner of this set is?

bill h
    Interested in 1955 bowman baseball psa 7 and better!
    Bill -- I've got an idea, yes. The individual has asked not to be named outside some private deals. Thanks-

Marc
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>The individual has asked not to be named outside some private deals >>

The international mystery and intrigue of baseball cards...
    Sincerely,
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Basil> "Obviously I see the point when you are at 75%+ completion..."

Personally, on the two sets where I've broken the 75% barrier (72T and 75T) I've elected to keep the sets visible. The way I figure it, I have fairly solid limits established for any already-slabbed cards I'm missing so I can't be extorted. . .and for cards I turn down, I'm confident I can find them raw to submit myself. Maybe it's easier to have this attitude when you're doing 1970s material.

Mike

BTW- I'm no longer building the 72 set. Got as high as 94% and decided to break it up and move to other sets closer to my childhood.

So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I'm aware of a beautiful 1962 Topps baseball set that is in the process of being registerd which will take-over the #1 set ranking.

While I've enjoyed my short-lived #1 position, as I've previously stated here on this message board, records are made to be broken. I'm looking forward to seeing sets others have put together, what cards I have they don't have and vice versa.

While I understand the economics of not displaying your collection for public view, to me it takes away from what I believe to be the fundamental purpose of the Set Registry which is to promote the enjoyment of the hobby.
  • seinbigd

Good to see you on the boards! Welcome!

paul
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
    There's a new #1 1962 Topps Baseball set just posted!!!image
    WOW... what a set!! They got to finish that bad boy up before it hits the auction block though.

John
    A nice effort -- it looks like it is probably headed for Superior Sports' December auction. 1962 Topps is one of those years where I think quite a few collectors are not registered. I know of at least one collector who has a very high grade set not currently registered.

For what it's worth, there is also another collector who has an extremely high grade set in SGC-holders -- primarily from presentation sets.
    Per Chris Porter, the '62 set will be in the December Superior Auction.

Separately, I see Frank Smith is making a run at the #1 spot for the 1975 Topps Baseball set (with a little help from mcastaldi???)image

Hey Shane, ...sniff, sniff, sniff, is that the smell of some stinky cheese coming from the 1971 Topps Greatest Moments Set Registry image
    Wouldnt it be better to hold off untill the set is complete? Maybe tax considerations are being taken into account. Any ideas?

John
    Perhaps its incomplete and being sold "as is" due to the fact a "straight 8" '62 set is not obtainable yet...not sure what "tax considerations" you're referring to.

Do you not have to pay tax from the proceeds of the sale? (2002 vs. 2003)
    Basilone,

I now understand the tax consequences you're referring to...I guess it depends on what your basis is in the set. This is the reason I try to keep up with the cost basis of each of my sets; I'm not sure how many collectors realize the taxable event that selling their collection(s) incurrs, particularly through a major auction house.

On the other hand, with the decline in values we have seen over the last few years, I would think there a few sets that collectors are "upside down" in. This may not apply to vintage sets such as the subject '62 set.

In any event, you raise an interesting point.
    I have never offered a big ticket item though an auction house. I would be intersted if anyone had any stories to share regarding their experience from a tax perspective Of couse the story could be of a friend or another collector they know (smirk). For the hobby historians out there...do you know of any stories regarding the IRS and collectors who have sold through auction houses? Is there a unwritten rule that I may be unaware of?

John

• Any payment of more than $600, a business is required to issue a 1099-MISC. Whether any particular business actually does so is between said business, their accountant and IRS.

A 1099 may only be issued if issuer has your tax ID (SSN).
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Steve> My aren't we rife with conspiracy theories image

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
    Thanks Toppsgun. I was wondering if there were any unwritten rules when it came to the auction house circuit.

John
  • Steve:

I need all the help I can get to catch up with the top dog! For those of you who thought Davalillo’s prices were spendy, try getting low population 1975’s out of Castaldi. Man…Davalillo would be darn proud!

As for the Rodriquez 10 that closed a while back, I was out of town most of the week it was running. As I was getting ready to leave, I went ahead and loaded a bid in my “snipeware” as no one else had bid on the card. I totally forgot to check with you to see what your intentions were towards it. Live and learn. To quote a word from the same movie and scene that you referenced, “Oops!”

Frank
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.

CASTALDI TACTICS: Post a thread on 75 low pops generate a bunch
    of hype toss in some bids then make the final total the going rate. Ah
    hahah I have now named Mike the professer....This is not to be taken
    serious Mike...Go get'em Frank and hope to see you both in Chi-town..

Guru