AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 5, 2023 2:52PM in Precious Metals

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

tt

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭

out of curiosity, why are the knives not included in the weight. Is a portion of the knife not silver? Perhaps the blade? I've seen other sets listed also excluding knives. Just curious. Thanks in advance, Bill

@Glen2022 said:
    out of curiosity, why are the knives not included in the weight. Is a portion of the knife not silver? Perhaps the blade? I've seen other sets listed also excluding knives. Just curious. Thanks in advance, Bill

Silver reacts with acids like tomatoes, etc. So, the blades are always stainless. The handles are sterling and weigh about 1/2 ounce troy, each. My experience with removing sterling handles from knives says they can weigh a bit more than 1/2 ounce, so just on the safe side figure 1/2 for each.
    They are a pain to take apart and get the sterling clean. sometimes they are cemented it with epoxy type material and other times its a plaster of Paris type stuff.
    bob :)

• CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about silverware but this is certainly tempting….

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@Glen2022 said:

Silver reacts with acids like tomatoes, etc. So, the blades are always stainless. The handles are sterling and weigh about 1/2 ounce troy, each. My experience with removing sterling handles from knives says they can weigh a bit more than 1/2 ounce, so just on the safe side figure 1/2 for each.
    They are a pain to take apart and get the sterling clean. sometimes they are cemented it with epoxy type material and other times its a plaster of Paris type stuff.
    bob :)

Hey Bob: thanks for your response. I'm just trying to learn as much about silver as I can. Isn't sterling .925 pure? If so, wouldn't there be an adjustment to your weight measurement of the Troy ounces included in the set? (27.4792 x .925 = 25.4152 + approximately 3 ounces for the knife handles is equivalent to approximately 28 .4152 Troy ounces. Would this be correct? Thanks again, Bill

It is .925. I'll recheck my math...........heck to get old....lol
    No knives included:
    1. Select the Unit of Measure(Weight Type):

Grams

1. Enter total weight of the Sterling(92.5%) Silver:

Silver Weight Unit Image Total Weight in Grams:
    3. (Opt.) Change silver price or leave as is:

Silver Price: $
    per Troy Ounce
    Currency:
    USD - U.S. Dollar

Silver Spot Price Last Updated on Server:
    Fri Jun 02 2023 15:00:02 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
    4. (Opt.) Enter a price spread or leave as is:

Price Spread:
    %

Total Silver Value:
    (USD - U.S. Dollar)
    $648.94
    Total Silver Weight
    Grams: 855.63
    Kilograms: 0.85563
    Grains: 13,204.31
    Pennyweight: 550.18
    Ounces: 30.181
    Troy Ounces: 27.509
    Pounds: 1.8863
    Troy Pounds: 2.2924
    5% Price Spread (USD)
    Bid Price: $616.49
    Ask Price: $681.38
    Resultant values will be rounded to two or more decimal places depending on length.
    Calculator only figures the total value and weight of the 92.5% silver portion of sterling silver. Does not include any other metals used in making the alloy.

• pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

pm sent

BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more