Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEW $20 Quest - 18th coin added to Box 0f 20

gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 22, 2023 6:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Recently I decided to form a $20 Date set collection. My plan was to buy better than generic coins that were attractive but avoid very high grades where costs escalate. Using this as a template the set is readily obtainable except for 6 dates: 1886,1921,1929,1930,1931,1932. I did find nice attractive coins in all the dates outside the big six. At the Heritage FUN auction, I added the 1929 and 1931. I knew the rest would be tough particularly the 1886 and to some extent the 1921. This collection ignited my desire to add mint marks and varieties to the set. The date set consists of 80 coins while the full set requires 202. A couple of years ago I formed a Lib set but reached the point where the cost of the remaining coins exceeded what I was prepared to pay. I sold those coins, so I needed to start over. I now have embarked on the full set including the St. Gaudens. I know full well I can not complete this set as the 1927D and 1861 Paquet are unaffordable for me as most likely the 1870CC,1854O and 1856O. I think I can reach a 90% complete set and possibly if certain coins come available in affordable grades, I can reach 95%. I will post significant additions to this as they are obtained. I decided to keep a box of 20 of $20s on my website to show off the most significant additions to this set. Below are the current coins in my box of 20. You can find details in my website:

https://sc-coins.com/

Comments

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

Outstanding specimens of history; thank you for sharing them with us.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those coins are stunning! I am only just now starting to get into gold coinage after 15 years of collecting in general. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk ... Truly great coins... all of them... That 1932 really stands out. I look forward to the additions. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed great coins!

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

As someone who deals in "junk" you have opened my eyes to a brave new world. I can't even begin to pay the entry price to get into the arena but I can live the experience through your eyes. Well done.

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:
    I love your collecting style- you seem to move through collections and assemblages with a grace and fluidity that most of us lack- I for one get mired down in not wanting to sell anything or change directions. I’m truly working on outgrowing that habit, and you are an inspiration to me! Thank you for sharing your journey!

Thanks for kind words. There are a few coins I wish that I had not sold but on the whole I am happy with this hobby. I very much enjoy the buying process and the building of sets. I try to set a goal for the set before I start and when I attain my goal I am ready to sell the set an move on to the next quest. I should mention if one cares about the financial aspect of coin collecting this is not a very smart way to collect as there are considerable costs associated with the buying and selling process. I set aside a certain amount each year I am prepared to lose as a hobby expense.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great start to an amazing set!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb selections!

mirabela
  • Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the '29 Saint.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your 1871-CC from the recent Fairmont sale. I thought it had a nice, original look without the heavy bag marks and distractions usually found on this issue. Congrats!

I am curious, for your new box of 20, if you could have saved any of the $20 Libs from the set that you sold, which one(s) would they be?

• Options

@BloodMan said:
    I like your 1871-CC from the recent Fairmont sale. I thought it had a nice, original look without the heavy bag marks and distractions usually found on this issue. Congrats!

I am curious, for your new box of 20, if you could have saved any of the $20 Libs from the set that you sold, which one(s) would they be?

Great Question! Looking back at old registry set, I would like to still have 1855-O AU55, 1891 AU58,1892-CC MS62+.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2023 6:59AM

@gschwernk said:

@BloodMan said:

Great Question! Looking back at old registry set, I would like to still have 1855-O AU55, 1891 AU58,1892-CC MS62+.

Wow, a 1855-O, and in 55! I would have hated parting with that one too, based on how nice your coin are I’ll bet it was a stunner!
    I would love to run into one at about that grade. Maybe some day.
    Do you have any pics of it Edited to add: Thanks, I found it once I went to your site. It was a nice one!
    Haven’t been to your site as I’m just initially reading the thread, but I’m going to check it out.
    Thanks for sharing, you have beautiful $20s and that’s my absolute favorite of coins!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2023 4:21AM

Absolutely awesome. That’s one heck of a box of 20.
    Really really nice. Thanks for posting. While all $20 gold pieces are beyond my reach I certainly appreciate and enjoy watching my fellow collectors add to their unique assortment of coins. Thanks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Great box of 20!

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

An epoch collection of the set of sets! Looking forward to your new purchases! Will spend some time on your website.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I might see that Fairmont 1858-O soon enough!
    Congrats! A super nice coin!

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

WoW !

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

reminds me of the "Ship of Gold", except this is the "Box of Gold". Love it!

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s your method for locating acceptable coins?

Long term goal with the set?

• Options

@johnny010 said:

@gschwernk

• Options

@johnny010 said:

@johnny010 said:

@gschwernk

The goal is as stated in the OP. I have contacts at all the major auction houses. I buy directly from them or at their auctions. I am too busy to travel to coin shows so I never buy my coins in person.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

great coins!

• Options

@gschwernk said:

@johnny010 said:

@johnny010 said:

@gschwernk

The goal is as stated in the OP. I have contacts at all the major auction houses. I buy directly from them or at their auctions. I am too busy to travel to coin shows so I never buy my coins in person.

Thanks

I understand the near term goal but what is the long term vision? Ie: will you get to 90% and then try for a 27D at some point in the future or sell once you get to an acceptable % complete? Enjoy watching as you go.

Thanks for the reply,

JM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk ... Beautiful gold double eagles.... I really like the big gold coins... Thanks for showing them. Marvelous set. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ParadimeCoinsParadimeCoins Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

superb

ParadimeCoins.com PCGS NGC CAC InventorySign up for our exclusive NEWPs mailing list - Subscribe

• Options
    EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on overtaking Amon Carter! This set has a lot of coins.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing set of coins -- love them all, in particular, the '70s CC issues and the 58-O, and the 32 Saint. But any, any one of them would be a point of pride in anyone's collection!

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:

Ready for a new challenge?

• Options

In a bit of humor way, here's my own 'Box of'... only 10... but it's a fun thing for me and I imagine there are some people who can relate for whatever reason:
    -- Women's Quarters (Mint Roll)
    --Innovation Dollars
    --County wide Banks/CUs penny rolls
    --Wells Fargo penny rolls
    -- Visited Cities penny rolls
    --Local merchant penny rolls
    --Visited city Penny boxes
    --San Fran mint junk coins
    -- Crossing the Delaware quarters
    --Local street finds

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

One has to start someplace :)
    Nice coin chest

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@EliteCollection said:

Ready for a new challenge?

I would like to reach 95% complete. Hansen is not passable by me. Maybe @EliteCollection could since his Gaudens are better.

• Options

Good luck getting to 95% complete. Maybe one day I will look into doing a full $20 set. It's a daunting task for sure.

• Options

Here's the newest addition to my Box of 10...

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

Wow you'd practically have to be Scrooge McDuck or Donald Trump or whatnot to be trying to catch all the Double Eagles!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Congrats. A 1921 saint is always special.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file