Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Guy lost his job to a sports card addiction

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

"Father of Four" was the saddest part. A cautionary tale for sure.

Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real criminal was the prosecutor’s publicist.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel for him. All on here have something in us that gives us pleasure from collecting. Anything that activates that part of the brain can become addicting to some. He has been adequately and rightfully punished and hopefully can get help and quit collecting, understanding what poses threats to the addictive side of his personality, and live a more balanced life that avoids those pitfalls.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

Sad story for sure. The guy is not going to lose his Federal pension and I seriously doubt any VA/military benefits. It'll be deferred until age 62 unless he is special provisions law enforcement for Homeland Security. Health benefits and life insurance gone for good.... Addiction doesn't distinguish between status, age, race, sex, etc.... I hope he gets some help.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

I hope everything will work out for him and his family.
    Collecting cards can sometimes feel like Christmas every day. It can be very hard to say no, especially when your favorite player card comes up available and you feel it is a very good deal and you may not see that card for sometime.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    Bet he collected modern not vintage.

Sadly it was probably all 1990 Fleer Jordon's and 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas' . Junk Wax claims yet another victim.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    nebishnebish Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

curious what type of collecting he did. I'm not real familiar but I know a few people who got in box breaks, pick a team or a player, buy in and you get what comes up as somebody else opens the packs on a live stream. During covid seemed like they were buying into multiple breaks every day with sometimes multiple breaks in one night. That seemed like it could be addicting to the right/wrong personality.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sayheywyo said:
    Sad story for sure....Health benefits and life insurance gone for good.... Addiction doesn't distinguish between status, age, race, sex, etc.... I hope he gets some help.

Kidding in my last post aside, agree with your comment.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

@nebish said:
    curious what type of collecting he did. I'm not real familiar but I know a few people who got in box breaks, pick a team or a player, buy in and you get what comes up as somebody else opens the packs on a live stream. During covid seemed like they were buying into multiple breaks every day with sometimes multiple breaks in one night. That seemed like it could be addicting to the right/wrong personality.

I have seen many people like that with State Lottery scratch tickets. Knew a guy who bought the whole booklet.

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Yeah if he was buying vintage, could probably get back at least 60% of collection value. But breaks are like gambling - esp when 95% of it is worthless cardboard.

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

My wife loves me more today as she deemed me a responsible collector. I'll take that as a +1

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of such a thing.....